News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: St Clement's Rochester  (Read 10353 times)

Offline MartinR

• Appreciation 4
Re: St Clement's Rochester
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 22:32:47 »
There's a brief summary of the parishes in Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rochester,_Kent#Ecclesiastical_parishes.  I've had a look on English Heritage's map and there is no listed building in Horsewash lane, so what the walls were is anyone's guess.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 22:02:10 »
St Clements Lane was renamed Horsewash Lane sometime in the latter part of the 19th century.

Offline Roseann

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 15:06:51 »
There were three medieval parishes: St Nicholas', St Margaret's and St Clement's. St Clement's was in Horsewash Lane until the last vicar died in 1538 when it was joined with St Nicholas' parish; the church's last remaining foundations were finally removed when the railway was being constructed in the 1850s, It was founded before 1538. It closed after 1850.
Hope x

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 122
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 13:37:50 »
Found these. When I took them, I presumed it was part of the City wall.

And I also found this on City Ark :

Memorandum of agreement between rochester Bridge Wardens and South Eastern Railway Co. for sale and purchase of land in st. Nicholas' parish, rochester, adjoining st. Clement's Lane

[See also MP/R/1]
Date: 1880s
Quantity: 1 item

/>It sort of points to the church / chapel being close to the proposed railway line.

www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 122
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 11:53:55 »
I looked on CITYARK & found this :

Cutting from unstated periodical containing article entitled antiquarian discovery at Rochester, illustrated with engraving of medieval (Early English) arch forming part of the former st. Clement's Church, Rochester (drawn by E. Gilks, engraved by T. Gilks), exposed during building works associated with the construction of the approach to the railway bridge c.September 1851. [It is inferred the area concerned is on the Rochester side of the bridge and the site of the find is in the vicinity of Horsewash lane. Significantly, the 50": 1 mile Ordnance Survey map of Rochester shows a st. Clement's lane in the position of the modern Horsewash lane.] p.24

This is the cutting that you found, Kyn. Judging by this, the arch was in Horsewash Lane. I've got some photos on my computer somewhere of the area, but I don't re-collect any structures in the area that resemble an arch!

www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

merc

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 20:18:11 »
There's a St Clements House in Corporation Street, (Flats i think) i passed it today.
Not sure if it was built on the site of the Church or not...

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
St Clement's Rochester
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 16:50:36 »

Anyone know what happened to this arch?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines