News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dolphinarium, Margate  (Read 15462 times)

Offline Maid of Kent

• Appreciation 11
Re: Dolphinarium, Margate
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2017, 22:17:05 »
Must have taken the children to here when it was first opened. I don't remember it being so 'swish' It was just an ordinary swimming pool, no plants etc. I thought it was in late 60s - perhaps 69 that we went. My impression is it was a bit of a dump.

If you look at the pc with the pic of the seafront - surely the light is from the south whereas Margate faces north, and there are no white cliffs at Margate in that direction either.

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 54
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2012, 19:01:53 »
I remember the dolphins at the Queens and the Hippocampo disco.  I was running and DJ'ing the disco in the Dug Out (cellar bar opposite the harbour) at that time.  The 'businessmen' running the Hippocampo and the dolphins always seemed a bit shady to me - just my impression - they were probably really genuine guys.  I called them the Margate Mafia (but not to their faces of course  :) )

Looks like a bit of shadiness with the postcards too. They can't both be Margate and Brighton although there was a dolphinarium at both locations at the same time.

An interesting link here  http://www.freewebs.com/defunctmarinemammalparks/queenshoteldolphuk.htm

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 20:15:38 »
Dolphins at Cliftonville. The pool was in the Queens Highclife which for much of the time between 1950 and the early 1960s belonged to the Butlins hotel group, after a serious fire which burnt out a section of the hotel, a swimming pool was built, with a bar alongside where you could view the swimmers through glass panels, it was quite a small pool we used to go there evey night as kids you had to do 88 lenghts to do a mile [be lucky to swim a hundred yards now]. In the late 1960s Butlins sold of the Queens, which was brought up by some local business men. The dolphins went in the pool, downstairs was the Hippocampo night club, decorated with tanks of sea horses every where, most of which died from alcohol poisoning, there was even a model village in the grounds, now demolished and replaced with flats.

birchingtonboy

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2009, 21:14:02 »
Yes, sorry, the above postcard is Brighton, the Dolphinarium was in Cliftonville and was originally a Butlin`s Hotel and was called the Queens Hotel. The dolphin pool was originally a swimming pool with glass sides so you could see the swimmers from underneath!

jonesnet57

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 06:52:52 »
Spoke to a friend of mine last night from Margate, he used to do bar work at the Queens Hotel and it was based there, this was a Butlins Hotel at the time. He said he'd swam with the dolphins a couple of times.

This was the guy that looked after the Dolphins
http://www.johndineley.com/zoo.htm
He has a link to some posters of the dolphins at Margate on there

Offline LenP

• Appreciation 23
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 00:07:20 »
I've just got hold of several cards of the Brighton Dolphinarium and they don't have a glass roof.
Case closed?

Monkton Malc

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 22:05:14 »
Found a picture of the old Queens Hotel..

Offline LenP

• Appreciation 23
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 23:50:59 »
This would suggest it was Margate...

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://johndineley.com/jd-cv/images/margate_jpg.jpg&imgrefurl=http://johndineley.com/zoo.htm&usg=__1pDOm4ciQUtEqra5ssYdJE6Z1Zo=&h=105&w=144&sz=4&am
p;hl=en&start=2&tbnid=k0eRUNF7Zmy0AM:&tbnh=69&tbnw=94&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmargate%2Bdolphinarium%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26sa%3DG

Scroll down to 1971 - 1974: DOLPHIN TRAINER and click on the link. Then let the slideshow run rather than clicking on the (broken) link. I would have thought more people would have visited the Brighton dolphinarium than the Margate one though which makes the duplicated images a bit risky from Elgate's point of view?

Monkton Malc

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 23:14:55 »
Where at Margate was it ???

That ones got a glass roof so dig out the old pics ???

Of course they may both have had glass roofs!

As far as I can remember, the one at Margate never had a glass roof.

It was in the old Queens Hotel, Cliftonville (now demolished and replaced by Queens Court) and was in the old indoor swimming pool. It wasn't that big either but I am sure it had an underwater viewing area like most old Butlins swimming pools did.

I was taken there by my dad who had done some work on a car for the trainer of the dolphins. This was a private show just for us but as I was very small at the time, they frightened me and I wouldn't feed the dolphins.

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 19:33:56 »
Where at Margate was it ???

That one`s got a glass roof so dig out the old pics ???

Of course they may both have had glass roofs!
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

Offline rdfb2

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 17:36:20 »
My picture says Kent so one is wrong. I was too small to remember layout so, is it Margate or Brighton?? What a load of cheats using same pics, lets get to the bottom of this. It's the interior pic's that are the conflict.

SOME DAYS YOUR THE DOG ,SOME YOUR THE LAMP POST

Offline LenP

• Appreciation 23
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 21:54:13 »
Yes, that's not what I meant! The pic bottom right on my card is the Brighton Aquarium which is just by Palace Pier. The other two pics are the same as the postcard at the top of this thread. One of the pc's is fibbing. Which one?

Chatham_Girl85

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 21:51:44 »
The badge in the top right hand corner looks like it reads Brighton.

Offline LenP

• Appreciation 23
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 21:33:26 »
Here it is, so is it Margate or Brighton?

Offline LenP

• Appreciation 23
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 01:21:44 »
I think I have a postcard identical to the top one that is captioned 'Dolphinarium' but on the reverse it says it is Brighton. If I ever find it again (filing problems in my house too) I will post it up.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines