News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Strood Incident..  (Read 39656 times)

Offline Greyuncle

• Appreciation 7
  • Do the right thing
Re: Strood Incident..
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2012, 10:21:13 »
Hi Carole, I am a former Strood resident of many years, and what you refer to in Sqiures Close I belive was the old site of Spring Pond.  All that area and Laughing Waters are fed by underground springs, hence the pumping staion beside the M2.  Water is pumped from there to the power stations at Hoo and Grain.  That area was part of our cross country run at school and as lads we were always up the woods.

Greyuncle

ozric71

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 22:42:35 »
My dad was a postman at the time of this incident, and was delivering in the area at the time. He remember's hearing a  young child in distress in the alley and went to see what the trouble was, he found the young boy standing by the hole but could'nt see anyone down there. He guessed at what  may of happened and knocked on a nearby door to raise the alarm, then waited with the lad untill the fire brigade arrived.

101sean

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 22:39:27 »
I read the official report on this when I trawling through files at work many years ago (I'm ex Medway Council), can't remember the details though. It was in the file for that street, it's probably either in the archives now or dumped/lost in one of the many office moves

Rochester-bred

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 19:48:21 »
This happened when I was a youngster at school in Frindsbury at English martyrs primary school ,It happened not far from my school and I can remember how it stayed in my mind for years after the thought of the young boy being left alone and his mum gone.

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 36
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 17:19:34 »
The following is an extract from 50 Vigilant Years; A History of Kent Fire Brigade, relating to the tragic incident.

At a dramatic special service on 21st November 1967 in an alley in Cooling Road, Strood a 34 year old woman Mrs Thompson was swallowed up when a deep hole suddenly opened in the ground. The hole was over 100ft deep with a small opening at ground level which widened in places to 25ft in diameter and at the bottom converged to about 8ft in diameter into an old fast running culvert.

Firemen Ron Boulstridge and Howard Myers were lowered in turn by hand, into the hole in conditions of considerable danger. They called for a search light to be lowered and when this was done they made an unsuccesful attempt to locate Mrs Thompson. Debris was now begining to fall on them breaking the search light and making it impossible to remain in the cavity. Before they could be removed, further falls of debris occurred and both men were injured, only to be retrieved from the hole with great difficulty in a semi conscious state. Both men were removed to hospital. Fireman Boulstridge suffred a broken arm, chest injuries, general bruising and shock and Fireman Myers sustained spinal bruising and shock.

Despite the fact that it was now increasingly obvious that to re-enter the cavity would be an extremely hazardous operation, the Officer in Charge, Station Officer John Lipscomb, was lowered on a rescue line from a Turntable Ladder to continue the search. Making as full a reconnaissance as possible under the conditions that prevailed, he concluded that due to the strong flow of the water in the culvert, Mrs Thompson had been carried away and further operations were discontinued. Unfortunately, her body was never recovered.

The Chief Officer's Order of the day (26th February 1968) annouced the award of Brigade Commendations for gallantry to all three men and on July 15th the two firemen received Queens Commendations from the Lord Lieutenant of Kent with silver oak leaves.

Winget Apprentice

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 14:37:56 »
I have only joined the Kent History Forum today but your request for information hit me straight away.
Yes a lady did get killed when a alleyway which I think ran east from Mill Hill Frindsbury opened up and she fell into the void.
After considerable effort by the rescue services to find the lady ,the hole was filled in and is sadly her grave still.
I know the name of the lady as her mother lived just two doors away from where I as a boy lived in the village of Cliffe.                                           I  cannot disclose her family name as it may still cause distress to her family.
Should you wish further information I would suggest that you contact Medway Archives . Who I have found to be of great help in my own research.   Hope this is of some help.   JG

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 12:10:34 »
I was living at 122 Frindsbury Hill when Mrs Thompson had her accident, about 2mths later a hole about 8ft wide by 6ft deep appeared in the rear gdn  about 4 houses upthe hill from me.Needless to say we didn't live there a lot longer.

patmore

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 23:02:57 »
The name of the poor woman who fell into the hole was Jean Thompson if I remember correctly and I seem to recall it happened in a back alleyway in Frinsbury. I cant remember the year exactly but it was either 1967 or 1968. A sub-officer fireman was lowered into the hole but some distance down was badly injured when loose rubble fell onto him. A second fireman managed to get lower but could not reach the bottom. Her body was never recovered.
                                        James                  

Carole

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 12:15:59 »
Hello.

I've been searching the web trying to find out about a similar incident that I think must have taken place a few years after this tragic one. It must have been around 1970 when a huge hole suddenly appeared in the road in Squires Close on Knight's Place Estate in Strood. I was only young at the time and can't remember the exact date. Does anyone know about it? I know someone who remembers it but they don't know the date either. It was a huge hole - and we both agree was that it was big enough for a double decker bus to fit comfortably in it. I remember being told it was due to chalk aquifers that run underground roughly from the M2 down to Strood Hill - is this true?

Carole

seafordpete

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 18:46:52 »
Ive heard a lot about these incidents.
Most are put down to Chalk and Flint mining ???

Any where on chalk is liable to the formation of "sink holes". They start as small cracks and the natural acidity of the rain eats downwards. It just needs a patch of softer chalk exposed to start it. Can be simple holes or fissures running a fair distance. I have heard of subsidence in Peacehaven along a line of about 60yds!!

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 22
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 03:07:23 »
I vaguely remember this happening and am certain her son was left standing on the edge of the hole she'd disappeared down. What a traumatic thing for a little boy to go through!
There was another large hole appeared at around the same time not far away, when a hole appeared in a back garden leaving the house virtually on the edge of it.
I've often wondered if they were able to fill these and make the area safe although with erosion constantly happening underneath, it's always possible it'll happen again!
Not nice to think about when out for an evening stroll. :o
Alan.

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 36
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 19:14:41 »
I recall sometime back in the late '60,s early '70,s there was a tragic incident in Strood whereby a hole opened up and a young woman disappeared down it never to be seen again...
By chance this came up in conversation with my in-laws over Xmas and it turns out that my Father in-law was best man at a wedding where the woman in question was chief bridesmaid... This is strange as my wife's family lived in Surrey then Windsor so a link to Medway is difficult to understand....
Checked T'internet this evening and found nothing.....
As I remember it
 was somewhere near Frindsbury hill ( which is a Chalk Cliff )
As I understand its not uncommon for water to percolate down and open up underground voids...Its then likely that subsidence could occur and open up a link to the surface...
Ring any bells ?

WW

The incident on 21st November 1967 in an alleyway off Cooling Road. Frindsbury. The victim was a 34 year old lady Mrs Thompson. 2-members of Kent Fire Brigade received injuries in a valiant attempt to rescue her. The hole was over 100ft deep with a small opening at ground level which widened in places to 25ft in diameter and at the bottom converged to about 8ft into a fast running flooded culvert. Her body was never recovered.

There was a similar event,  20 or so years later, thankfully this time without loss of life. A friend of mine living in Hone Street Strood was woken by a loud rumbling. He looked out of his bedroom window and saw that part of the road had collapsed into a flooded hole.

the2nd

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 20:12:34 »
i think this is what you are looking for
 http://shropshiremines.org.uk/kurg/frindsbury.htm  hope this helps  :)

rossco

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 12:39:31 »
Yeah, Ive read loads about caves and mines under Strood. In one of the newspaper cuttings Merc posted it mentions 90 different holes being reported. Somehere Ive got a load of OS references for about 20...

WildWeasel

Strood Incident..
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 23:58:49 »
I recall sometime back in the late '60,s early '70,s there was a tragic incident in Strood whereby a hole opened up and a young woman disappeared down it never to be seen again...
By chance this came up in conversation with my in-laws over Xmas and it turns out that my Father in-law was best man at a wedding where the woman in question was chief bridesmaid... This is strange as my wife's family lived in Surrey then Windsor so a link to Medway is difficult to understand....
Checked T'internet this evening and found nothing.....
As I remember it was somewhere near Frindsbury hill ( which is a Chalk Cliff )
As I understand its not uncommon for water to percolate down and open up underground voids...Its then likely that subsidence could occur and open up a link to the surface...
Ring any bells ?

WW

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines