News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gun Wharf, Chatham  (Read 51176 times)

Offline mad4amanda

• Appreciation 8
Re: Gun Wharf, Chatham
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2015, 10:53:09 »
Great pictures ! My Father worked in the "White House" in the 1970s for MBC he used to tell us it was haunted by the ghost of a cook who used to burn the toast and when they came in in the morning they could smell it ! He worked there until he died in 1979 .
The Pictures of the bowling alley are interesting too as I am sure that is where we used to go roller skating in the late 70s early 80s , does anyone else remember this ?

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2014, 11:57:48 »
The Chief Ordnance Officer's Quarters dating from 1815. Now known as 'The White House' and used as offices by 'Relate'

cliveh

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2014, 11:54:15 »
Thanks Merc - I wondered if that's what it was.  :)

cliveh

merc

« Reply #87 on: September 15, 2014, 11:30:03 »
I believe it's the other end of the blocked tunnel that went under Dock Road to Fort Amherst, Cliveh. I think it's now used for storage by the council.

See this thread: http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=1906.msg138405#msg138405

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #86 on: September 15, 2014, 08:30:05 »
Anybody know what this is all about in the corner of the Library car park? It goes under the entrance road opposite the former guard house.

cliveh

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2013, 15:25:46 »
Interesting old photo of the entrance. Not sure of the date, but I think it might be 1920s.
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

merc

« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2013, 00:47:08 »
Wednesday, July 28, 1880

The Government authorities have decided to at once commence the operations necessary in carrying out the scheme to extend the Gun Wharf at Chatham, and Messrs. Foord, contractors, have received notice to give up posession of the large paddock adjoining the Military-road, as that will be included in the extension, and the main entrance be made there.

From Hampshire Telegraph and Sussex Chronicle.

merc

« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2013, 16:30:00 »
Monday, December 29, 1879

Some important undertakings are intended to be carried out by the Government with the view of extending the War Department establishments at Chatham, in connection with the Ordnance Department. At the usual meeting of the Local Board of Health the plans of the proposed undertakings were produced for the Board's consideration. Among the other works intended to be carried out by the Government are the extension of the Ordnance Wharf to Military Road and closing the through-fare known as Globe Lane; the alterations and diversion of a portion of Military Road; the filling up of the trench leading from Chatham into the garrison; together with other undertakings, for which a special act of parliament will be obtained. It was intimated at the Board of Health, on the plans of the proposed undertakings coming up for consideration, that the Board would be paid compensation for the roads taken by the Crown in carrying out the intended works.

From The Daily News.

merc

« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2012, 12:19:33 »
An early 19th century account.

The ordnance wharf occupies a narrow strip of land below the chalk cliff between the church and the river. It was the original dock-yard, and is now not unfrequently called the old dock. The guns belonging to the ships in the river are here deposited in regular tiers, some of which weigh sixty-five hundred weight each : the names of the ships to which they belong is marked upon them, and also the weight of the metal. Great quantities of cannon balls are to be seen in several parts of the wharf piled up in large pyramids; and great numbers of gun carriages are laid up under cover. The armoury also is a very curious assemblage of every kind of hostile weapons arranged in admirable order, such as pistols, cutlasses, pikes, pole-axes, etc. The principle officers in this department are a storekeeper, a clerk of the cheque, a clerk of the survey, under whom are two extra clerks, and other servants. Previously to the year 1760, the defence of this vast naval magazine was entrusted chiefly to guard ships stationed in the river, and to forts erected on its banks.

JayHS357

« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2012, 20:13:46 »
Hi all

Sorry i cannot help on any of the questions to this post, but I wish I could as I know my mum many years ago had studied Chatham Docks and the Gun Wharf for many years whilst writing in local papers all about her finds. And she would no doubt know a lot of the answers about this lovely historical area.

I do remember where they would make flags and also the original Rope House, and I was shown how they made rope just like in the old days, and I also remembered that they filmed a TV show called "Cats Eyes" with Gill Gascoine, the star from the TV show "The Gentle Touch" many years before! I mention this as you might see something in the TV shows if you watch them, but not a good idea as it was a poor show.

I also remember the old large sea plane that was in one of the hangers, being worked on and getting air/sea worthy.

And I worked for a wedding show company many years ago, and we held a number of wedding shows at the Commissioner House, I think it was called. The large building that overlooked the main car park and also there was an old white building on the water front that sold coffee and lovely cakes yum yum :o)

Sorry, please ignore this as I have ended up going on about stuff that is of little help, but it is lovely to see and read about the old docks

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2012, 17:10:05 »
Kentish Gazette - Tuesday 14 May 1861

CHATHAM
In order to provide additional space for the large stores of arms which are now being collected at Chatham, the large armoury at the Ordnance-wharf has been entirely re-constructed, and some additional rooms have been fitted up with appropriate racks for the reception of the stores of rifles for both land and sea service. By the improved arrangements effected sufficient space is now furnished for storing 50,000 stand of rifles, about 35,000 of which are already deposited in the armoury, and sores of rifles are constantly arriving from the Tower and the Government factories at Enfield and elsewhere. All the rifles deposited in the armoury are of the recently improved manufacture, including a quantity of the rifle known as "pattern 53," for sea service, which are to be supplied to each of the ships of war fitted out at Chatham.
=========

Offline flintlock1

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2012, 22:59:18 »
I think it was about 1993/94 Leofwine, and that's me, the 42nd Highlander with the beard in the centre of the photo.

merc

« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2012, 22:56:54 »
I knew someone would ask that... :)

Sorry, I don't know at present...I will try and find out.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2012, 22:41:53 »
Any date on that article Merc?
=========

merc

« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2012, 22:36:52 »

Thanks to Michael Brown (one of the 42nd Highlanders re-enactors in the photo) for the article.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines