News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Sheerness Indented Lines  (Read 13596 times)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 422
    • Sheppey History
Re: Sheerness Lines of Defence
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 13:22:35 »
This is the reamins next to the WWII gun emplacement of an anti-aircraft weapons pit.  The two WWII gun positions that reamin are for 6" QF guns :)

seafordpete

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 18:09:04 »
There was a serious French threat in the  1890s, they invaded some Banana republic which the Brit Government saw as a threat (I can't find the name at the moment). Locally in 1894 the Sussex Artillery Volunteers who were nearly all from the Brighton LB&SCR loco works built a Railway gun using a cannon from Shoreham fort and building a turret onto a truck. It had a carriage behind that had a raised edge around the roof with loopholes and carried troops, horses and a limber in case the gun needed to be dismounted. It was on regular patrol as far as Hastings for in 1898 and was the World's first true Railway gun that could be trained to fire other than down the line. If any one wants more info etc I can get it from the museum including photos and plans that I used to make a model from.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 422
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 15:54:24 »
A couple of old pics from a book.  This was what the lines looked like before adaptions for WWI, there are still a few remaining sections of original wall on No.1 Bastion and up near the fort.

It must have been quite unusual for all the guns to be in place, they were only usually all in position at times of war or with a serious threat of war...

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 422
    • Sheppey History
Sheerness Indented Lines
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 16:11:29 »
A English Heritage report produced these plans...

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines