News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dreamland, Margate  (Read 83102 times)

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 29
Re: Dreamland, Margate
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2013, 07:49:25 »
We go to the Crown Bingo on Margate seafront. They now use a bit of land for their car park which looks as though it was part of the Dreamland site but I'm not sure now how far Dreamland extended. Before that we were parking where a Big Wheel once stood.

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2013, 20:37:22 »
That is a brilliant result - let's hope there are no more hiccups.  I'm looking forward to the return of the Dreamland Magic from my childhood.

JW

Offline BygoneMedway

• Appreciation 24

isleansuz

« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2013, 22:02:58 »
They've since updated the story.

Offline doug

• Appreciation 16
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2013, 16:29:56 »
Let`s get the facts right! The present owners want to cover the site in blocks of flats, one sample block has already been built in Eton Road, this site used to be the laundry to the park. The present owners would then preserve the scenic railway, if it does not catch fire again. The Dreamland Trust`s plans for the site do not include blocks of flats, if this ever does get the flats the residents will not be from Thanet but dumped from London. Hope this makes it a bit clearer.

isleansuz

« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2013, 09:49:04 »
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/thanet_extra/news/2013/march/20/dreamland_appeal.aspx

A hearing to decide the future of Margate's Dreamland site is due to begin at the High Court today.

Thanet District Council was given the go-ahead by the government to buy the iconic seafront site last August.

The authority, which won its case for a compulsory purchase order, wants to turn it into the world's first heritage amusement park.

But owner DreamlandLive vowed to continue the fight to keep the site.

Wait! The Council want to pump 10m into it to regenerate the site, but the owners don`t want that, they want to do it themselves?
That makes no sense at all, or are the owners simply keeping the site and letting it fall in to disrepair?

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2012, 12:39:40 »
re: Billie at Prestons.

I've received a reply from the Dreamland Trust.  They are aware of 'Billie' being at Prestons and state that the Friends of Billie and the Ryhl Steam Preservation Trust are keen to be involved in bringing the Dreamland Miniature Railway back home, so we're always pleased to hear any news.

JW

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2012, 19:41:28 »
Billie is still at Preston's along with some of the original carriages.

Who knows, maybe she'll run again at Dreamland.

Now, there's a thought.  I wonder if the people involved in the restoration know about this.  A brilliant addition to the vintage theme.

JW

sparky230

« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2012, 19:11:03 »
Billie is still at Preston's along with some of the original carriages.

Who knows, maybe she'll run again at Dreamland.

Offline helcion

• Appreciation 30
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2012, 11:08:56 »
Sentinel S4    -

I do not know what happened to the petrol loco

There are photos of the miniature line at    -

http://www.joylandbooks.com/scenicrailway/images/gallery8.htm   

Apparently the petrol loco is awaiting restoration on the 'Vale of Evesham Railway'

I remember riding the line when I was a little lad & being intrigued by the transfer table at the main station which moved the loco sideways.
This shown on one of the photos.

Cheers

Helcion

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2012, 09:33:03 »
Last I know was that the last loco, steam, to work at the park was at Preston in terrible condition. I do not know what happened to the petrol loco, the second steam loco went well before the line closed and has been restored and is used at a location in Lancashire. It is a centre of preservation for miniature railways started because we were losing them very fast. For the life of me I can't remember the name of the place. However I do know that Billy was at Preston Steam Services a year or two ago.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

IanDB

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2012, 18:08:29 »
Been following the regeneration project for some time now. This seems like a good development. I've been to the steam fair when in Margate, but would love to see the site as a heritage amusement park. Spent many happy hours during my youth at Dreamland in the 60's.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2012, 12:29:17 »
That's brilliant news. I for one would go there once it's restored.
We'll share a car on the scenic  :)

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 263
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2012, 13:15:16 »
That's brilliant news. I for one would go there once it's restored.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2012, 09:51:59 »
From Kent On Sunday w/e 26th August

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines