News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Margate  (Read 12329 times)

detmold

Re: Margate
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 09:06:44 »
date unknowen

Offline doug

• Appreciation 16
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 18:40:35 »
The painter Turner did not live in Margate, he just came down to see his bit on the side. As for the Turner centre, you can break all the planning rules if your goverment. No body else in Thanet would be allowed to built on the Cliff like that.

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 31
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 18:37:32 »
I always thought she was being towed up the Thames? She was scrapped at Rotherhithe afterall.

Also the paddle steamer SS Savannah crossed the Atlantic in 1819 in just over 23 days, although she was a sailing ship with side paddles. Three years later the Aaron Manby sailed from London to Paris. Becoming the first steamship to do so and the first iron hulled vessel to go to sea. The first powered steam boat was earlier still.. 1802.
WIKI!

Turner's painting is dated 1838.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

maxwragg

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 18:08:24 »
JWM Turner was quoted as saying "the skys in Thanet are the most beautiful in all of europe" he was an opium smoker and an insomniac - he often painted sunrises - not sunsets... he lived in Margate during his life
 the fighting temeraire was the LAST flagship made - it was being towed to be broken up by the FIRST steam powered ship,but the picture is NOT an evening image,it is a sunrise....hence the position of margate pier/jetty/harbour arm.
Turner slept with the painting in his room - he called it 'his baby'  its value ensures it will NEVER be seen in Margate at the Turner Centre.....(waste of money by TDC - as usual)

annieoburns

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 15:28:15 »
Just to tie in with first posting on this thread.... there is to be a museum dedicated to Turner to be located at Margate

http://www.turnercontemporary.org/design/?p=3

Due to open in 2011.

LenP

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 23:17:43 »
This from the Daily Chronicle 18th May 1929.

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 21
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 18:32:08 »
I scanned this from The Sun paper last week.
There is a write up too, it is too blurred to to read on here.

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 31
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 23:05:20 »
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 61
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 22:56:04 »
It looks like theyve painted out Sheerness and put Margate in   CHEATS! ;)

Oh by the way i didnt do that write up o:)
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 31
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 22:53:01 »

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 61
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 22:49:17 »
Found it ;)

The Fighting Temeraire.(Turner).

The 98-gun ship 'Temeraire' played a distinguished role in Nelson's victory at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805, after which she was known as the 'Fighting Temeraire'. The ship remained in service until 1838 when she was decommissioned and towed from Sheerness to Rotherhithe to be broken up.

The painting was thought to represent the decline of Britain's naval power. The 'Temeraire' is shown travelling east, away from the sunset, even though Rotherhithe is west of Sheerness, but Turner's main concern was to evoke a sense of loss, rather than to give an exact recording of the event. The spectacularly colourful setting of the sun draws a parallel with the passing of the old warship. By contrast the new steam-powered tug is smaller and more prosaic.

Turner was in his sixties when he painted 'The Fighting Temeraire'. It shows his mastery of painting techniques to suggest sea and sky. Paint laid on thickly is used to render the sun's rays striking the clouds. By contrast, the ship's rigging is meticulously painted.

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 61
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 22:40:50 »
Interesting mural ;)

Its from a painting called the fighting Tanmer or Tangmere (or something like that).

Its shown off Sheerness notice Grain Tower. 
I think it was the last Warship with sail.

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 21
Margate
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 22:09:30 »
I took these today.

Dreamland photos are under the section called Dreamland.

The next two photos below shows where the penny arcade was until the 1980s.

A murial near Primark on the
seafront.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines