News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Seaside mines.  (Read 17694 times)

Offline helcion

• Appreciation 29
Re: Seaside mines.
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2012, 22:34:10 »
Jason   -

Is the one on Ramsgate harbour still there, by the memorial and the museum?

Yep  -  itís still there  -  photographed today 21st.January.

Cheers

Helcion

Offline Longpockets

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2012, 10:54:45 »
Thank you all for the polite correction. That said I stand by the point that the seaside collection mine were/are to do with the Missions to Seamen and their worthwhile work. S4.

They certainly are, I remember those I have seen over the years being for help to the Seaman Missions, I was not disputing that at all, apologies if you thought I was.

It wasn't until this post I started to think how many of these mines may have disappeared over the years. I think I saw them at just about every seaside town I visited from the 50's onwards, I used to pester my Mum & Dad for money to put in them. There may still be couple at Brighton, I think, my memory currently is not too good, interference by medication I am afraid, I am in a world of my own, it's great here.

Regards

Longpockets

seafordpete

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2012, 10:46:13 »
Thank you all for the polite correction. That said I stand by the point that the seaside collection mine were/are to do with the Missions to Seamen and their worthwhile work. S4.

Either before that or as well for King George V fund for Sailors

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2012, 10:04:14 »
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline Longpockets

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2012, 00:52:17 »

They were in part a Memorial to those Merchant Seamen who gave their lives during both World Wars, until recently there was no National Memorial to these unsung Heros. S4.

I thought the Merchant Navy memorial on Tower Hill had been there for quite a long time - it was our fire assembly point when I worked in London :)

Sorry SentinelS4

TOWER HILL MEMORIAL

The Tower Hill Memorial commemorates men and women of the Merchant Navy and Fishing Fleets who died in both World Wars and who have no known grave. It stands on the south side of the garden of Trinity Square, London, close to The Tower of London.

From here - http://www.cwgc.org/search/cemetery_details.aspx?cemetery=90002&mode=1

Apologies to Kyn & Merc the following is a bit off topic.

I also found this - http://www.merchantnavymemorial.com/

And this which I found quite touching - Merchant Navy Hymn

Eternal Father, strong to save,
Whose arm hath bound the restless wave,
Who bidd'st the mighty ocean deep
Its own appointed limits keep;
Oh, hear us when we cry to Thee,
For those in peril on the sea!

http://www.merchantnavymemorial.com/mnh.htm

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 19:46:36 »
Sorry Preston steam services is not on the Isle of Thanet its on the main land.

Offline Jason

• Appreciation 9
    • Historic Medway
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 00:43:48 »
Is the one on Ramsgate harbour still there, by the memorial and the museum?

I seem to remember that every Seaside Town had one of these in the 1970's. They normally had a slot for collecting and it was for Missions to Seamen. They were in part a Memorial to those Merchant Seamen who gave their lives during both World Wars, until recently there was no National Memorial to these unsung Heros. I am glad to see a few still around as I though 'elf and safety' would had got rid of them under some pretext. S4.

I thought the Merchant Navy memorial on Tower Hill had been there for quite a long time - it was our fire assembly point when I worked in London :)

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, 19:01:42 »
I think they did, I wonder what has happened to them.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 10:10:38 »
I seem to remember that every Seaside Town had one of these in the 1970's. They normally had a slot for collecting and it was for Missions to Seamen. They were in part a Memorial to those Merchant Seamen who gave their lives during both World Wars, until recently there was no National Memorial to these unsung Heros. I am glad to see a few still around as I though 'elf and safety' would had got rid of them under some pretext. S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 07:40:16 »
Over 50 years ago I went to Laleham School in Northdown Park Rd and there was a real life one just off the beach where we were getting swiming lessons. They were rapidly abandoned and we beat the retreat.
I can't remember what we were told about it's removal but I suppose the Bomb Disposal boys  made it safe and got rid of it and it's probably had a coat of paint and is on display somewhere now.
Maybe it was the one by the cockle stall.
AlanH.

Offline Mike S

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2011, 15:23:13 »
Years ago, there was one at the iop of Margate Harbour slipway adjacent to the Cockle stall.

jervis bay

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2011, 11:51:46 »
seem to remember putting money in one outside Deal pier...

Offline nev

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 10:56:29 »
And another one outside the car park entrance to the de-bradley warth shopping centre in dover.
Im a sheppy coppers son!

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 23:38:23 »
There is one at Chatham Dockyard in the museum  ;D

I remember the one in Sheerness, it was at the entrance to Beachfields Park oposite the train station when i was a kid!

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 23:00:59 »
This ones at the HMS Wildfire 3 Memorial at Queenborough.

Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines