News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sheerness Dockyard, and Garrison Point Fort  (Read 7812 times)

rossco

Re: Sheerness Dockyard, and Garrison Point Fort
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 18:15:01 »
The fort and the towers from the sea...

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 22:42:35 »
What a brilliant report, thank you for sharing your trip with us!  Good to see you covered alot and by all accounts your friend has some pretty acurate knowledge too.

I didn't know there were the bus stops along there, when i went to Chatam Dockyard i spent half hour taking pics of each one they have there  ::), all nicely restored but quite close together this was the best one  :D

The boat store is one of a kind due to being the first to be built using a full metal frame (not that i understand the importance there   ???).

The old buildings that are near the entrance are unfortunatly being left to rot by the private owner, there has been planning applications to convert them to housing and also build some apartments near them, access would be through the dockyard wall by smashing a hole in it  :'(  So far they have all been turned down for one reason or another!

It's interesting to see the dockyard church has been cleared out, i will have to get back for some more pics!  It is surprisingly ornate although badly damaged!  I hope one day something will be done to preserve it.

Again thanks for sharing trooper it was a great report  :)

Maidstone Trooper

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 22:20:12 »
They are suprisingly close together actually, which was what made me wonder!??

Zowen

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 22:13:02 »
They we're for buses because my mum use to catch them there

merc

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 21:45:27 »
Great Stuff MT :)

There are a few of these black boards through Blue Town, maybe old bus stops??
They might be,There's some along the wall by Chatham Dockyard with place names on.
I can't remember if they were for busses or trams.

Maidstone Trooper

Sheerness Dockyard, and Garrison Point Fort
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 19:10:06 »
My first contribution to this forum, so I hope that you enjoy.

On Saturday I was lucky enough to get a private tour of Sheerness Docks and Garrison Point fort by a Sheppy local ho has worked in the docks for over 30 years.

In this report much of the information is stuff that I was told on my tour, and so some of it I may portray wrongly, and much of it was things that he had been told, so the integrity of the information may vary. I am going to put it all in and I hope that it might be of interest to you all, and also open up some discussions on here.

My tour began in Blue Town, the old living area of the dock workers.

-Blue town named so, because it was mainly painted in blue paint pinched from the dockyard.
-The Albion Pub, this was previously a literacy and reading pub at some point in history, when newspapers were difficult to come by, so people would collectively come here to read.
-The Nelson Pub (Not sure if this is still a pub, hotel or what?) where allegedly Lord Nelson himself spent some nights.

This picture shows the now bricked up old entrance to the Dockyard, and also to the right, a position where a permanent flame would have been kept in times of blackouts.

There are a few of these black boards through Blue Town, maybe old bus stops??

My tour then headed into the dockyard to look around the old buildings just over the wall from Blue Town.  These buildings are now not owned by the Dockyard, and are being renovated, but their future use is unknown, as houses seems unlikely due to their position in the docks.

I was then driven down through the dockyard through the dividing wall, which once separated the army from the navy, and is now the home of some scorpions which are often seen in and around the wall.

Just past the old school I was taken into a pre fab building which now covers what would have been three old dry docks now filled in with sand, and concreted over.  These were filled only with sand keeping in mind that one day they may be used again.  Evidence of these is still visible in this building.

Passing this now into the more modern parts of the dockyard we passed through the Citreon and Peugeot car parks we went down the ramp to boatside to see a vessel unloading. A small one apparently? Could have fooled me.  The turn around time for a ship can be as little as 4 hours, up to a few days.

My next stop was the apparent "Oldest pre-fab building in the world", which is grade 1 listed.  Quite a nice building for a glorified shed, now out of use.

Heading through some of the wood parks, we passed the emmense dock cranes and then down to the tug boats.  

Here I was lucky  enough to get a tour of one of the tug boats and meet its crew.  Three men crew these ships on week long shifts, living on the ships.  Previously six would have crewed these, but cost cutting exercises has lowered it to just three.  The pride taken in these guys work, and boats could clearly be see, they were spotless.  I liked the term used for these by one of the crew "A Floating Powerhouse".  Once I had a sit in the captains seat, it was back out and up to Garrison Point Fort.

In the fort we headed through one of the small doors to find a lift built into the fort, which we took up into offices now built into the fort.  This took us up to the control offices where we found the shift workers currently cooking up a fry up!  Great views of Grain, and the fort were taken in from the balcony, and a brief decription of their job explaining that they look after the local part of the esturary right up to Allingoton Lock in Maidstone.

This is the old control room, now out of use.

After a cup of tea we took the lift back down for a wander around the fort, complete with a crafty look down below ;-)
  Unfortunately the cold war stuff was off limits, and I think that you are a lucky person if you get the opportunity to see this.

It was a great day out, and an excellent tour, many thanks to my guide, top bloke for getting me in, and for his extensive knowledge.

I hope that there is some stuff for you guys to chew on in this report, apologies for any poor english, and inconsistencies, but I have tries to get as much down as I could.

Oh yes , one more thing, how could I resist not having a quick peek in the Dockyard church.  This place was much more ornate than I though, just a damn shame it is gutted.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines