News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: St Augustine's Mental Hospital, Chartham, Kent  (Read 38435 times)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
Re: St Augustine's Mental Hospital, Chartham, Kent
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2018, 20:34:21 »
A postcard featuring the Asylum.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2013, 00:07:58 »
Thank you JohnWalker, got it now, as you say, Kent County Mental Hospital on my map.

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 57
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2013, 19:59:58 »
Please accept this as a serious enquiry. Was this hospital sometimes known as Chartham Hatch?
I have a fifties map that shows Chartham Hatch but no mention of St Augustines Hospital in the area.

I believe it was named Kent County Mental Hospital, Chartham around the time of your map Signals99.

JW

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2013, 15:48:32 »
I sat in goods brake van one night near Chartham Hatch railway crossing which is over on the other side of the valley and passed it countless other times. Can the old hospital water tower still be seen from the LCD Railway line? My mother and brother were also patients at the hospital.When she died there in 1982 we had her brought back for a Dover burial. My sympathy to all with no such closure.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2013, 10:16:42 »
Please accept this as a serious enquiry. Was this hospital sometimes known as Chartham Hatch?
I have a fifties map that shows Chartham Hatch but no mention of St Augustines Hospital in the area.

DianeG

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2013, 21:59:54 »
Oh dear!

My great grandmother Georgina Cole was admitted to Chartham in the early 1900s...possibly by her husband Elgar/Algar William Cole.  She was in and out a couple of times as well as Sheppey Union Workhouse.

I have sent off my proof of direct descendant so I can get to her patient records and to see what they did to her.  Reading all the posts here I am keeping an open mind and some tissues!

These are the records that I hope to gain access to.

Research date range = 1904 31st December 1907
Admission records from ~ Q3 1905; Discharge records from April 1906; patient case notes pertaining to my great grandmother.
Medical & burial records.
Maybe the minutes too.

loulabelle

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2013, 15:52:11 »
This hospital has an appalling name for maltreatment of the patients.  Not every staff member, not every ward but it went on, and was connived at.  Two brave nursing assistants blew the whistle and wrote a critique, and there was a Royal Commission of Enquiry arising from this, and a report.

I have read it.  It makes sobering and sometimes heartbreaking reading, especially accounts of veterans of both World Wars, incarcerated and suffering and wishing they had died in battle.

Sorry to give such bad news, but I feel this should be reported.

Jill

Hi, i justwondered where you had found this report, as my great nan died in chartham asylum in 1929, and i would be very interested to read this, loulabelle

Marcijhamilton@gmail.com

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2013, 01:30:26 »
My husband, Colin Baker and I visited the area of the graves on Tuesday Dec. 10, 2012.  My husband's mother was admitted to St. Augustine's Mental Hospital around March of 1937 and Died of TB and was buried there 1949.
The gates that are up say St Augustine's Cemetery.   The nice lady that is living in the chapel said that she is having her house built on the spot of the old mortuary.  I am sorry that I did not get her name.  The "cemetery" is enclosed by a wooden fence (split rail type) and the nice lady said that all the graves are marked with a number.  She was happy for us to visit close up.  However it was wet and the grass overgrown.....besides which we do not know the number that was assigned to Grace Muriel Cousins Baker grave.   
When we visited the village of Chartham,  I was struck by the very active Parish life of St. Mary's.  The village hall had children playing in it at the time.  And the office was closed with no note when the office would be open.  One of the grounds keepers was very helpful and gave us directions to the cemetery.  We were very grateful as at least it gave us closure.  Someone or some office must have a record of numbers and the names to go with them.
All the best.
Marcia and Colin

dambusterman

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2013, 18:56:31 »
Hi to everyone. I am looking in to where my grandad worked at the St. Augustine's Hospital, Chartham. He worked there as a porter and my nan also worked there in the kitchen/dining room in the the late 80s early 90s. So any info or if you know him.
many thanks
chris

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2012, 14:25:31 »
As far as I am aware the graves are still in situ. The head stones were moved in the late 1970's to facilitate ground maintenance. The area is now privately owned and the owners are not over keen on people visiting. I have a friend who lives on the old site and visit on a regular basis and have seen the owners several times. They really do like their privacy and have now erected big gates at the entrance to prevent people wandering down into their property.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 57
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2012, 09:37:39 »
I believe the graves may still be in place - just the headstones moved to the edge of the area.

JW

Offline Jason

• Appreciation 9
    • Historic Medway
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2012, 00:18:36 »
By the sound of this story, the cemetery's been cleared out anyway (this was 2004):

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/3323650/Spacious-leafy-and-tranquil-if-a-little-on-the-dead-side.html

and some more recent photos of the bit they didn't sell:

http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?t=19495#.ULanHeIgjCI

Marcijhamilton@gmail.com

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2012, 17:35:24 »
My husband, Colin Baker, was the youngest of 6 children.  In 1938 at age 3 months, Colin's mother, Grace Muriel Cousins Baker was admitted to this Mental Hospital.  Colin never knew his mother.  The older children, Gordon, Ivy, June and husband Ernest attended Grace's funeral 27, May 1949. She died of TB.  The data was obtained by Cerys Russell from kent.gov.uk.  "...I believe that the cemetery may still be there.  Although I am not sure if it is accessible to members of the public."
So it looks like a lost cause to try and find her grave. Such a sad, sad, story.  Thanks everyone for your information.

Offline OilyRag

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2012, 20:01:30 »
My grandmother was admitted to St Augustines in March, 1932 and died in May, 1932 of exhaustion brought on by melancholia, aged 45.

I too have been unsuccessful finding her grave.

Offline Far away

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2012, 15:01:26 »
My step-grandmother was some kind of staff nurse there in the 1950s-1960s, and my grandfather was responsible for electrical maintenance from the 1930s to the 1960s. Ho hum, they did talk a lot about the ECV treatments...

My mum and her sister lived on the Crescent in the 1930s and 1940s, and knew the hospital grounds well. They used to get to see films for free, because the hospital had a cinema, and the only photograph I remember mum having was of the inside of the cinema.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines