News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Broadstairs Battery.  (Read 9056 times)

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
Re: Broadstairs Battery.
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 19:32:35 »
Bit late in the day but Colin Haggatts photo is not Chandos Square. Chandos square is nearer to the clock tower at Broadstairs. Today it is a car park, with just across the road a large public shelter, called Chandos shelter. The photo shown is outside the Charles Dickens.

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 20:42:58 »
The Chandos battery did not have a pemanent crew, so unlikely to need a barracks,

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 19:49:41 »
Joss bay battery was set just below the north foreland lighthouse, and looked out over the bay , and what today is the public car park. a rifle range was built in the car park for use by the battery , we always used to find cartidge cases here when we were kids. There were four guns at Joss bay  5.5 ex Naval pieces.

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 20:22:36 »
I think the guns at dumpton gap broadstairs were sited between the entrance gap to the beach and king george the six park. The battery observation post was on the other side off the gap,set on the cliff edge in front of the castlemere hotel. the post was demolished in i think the early 1960s when the sea wall was built between louis gap and dumpton gap. the gap to the beach was defended in ww2 by a fougasse set in the cliff either side to the gap.
At the bottom of leybourn rd, is a air raid shelter, not accessable but you can still see the entrance.

Phil

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 19:37:35 »
Paul,

Thanks very much guys for the information.

I am also trying to find the location of the Winchelsea Battery.  I know that isn't in Kent but if there is a list somewhere then it would be very helpful.  

Also I see that you have made several posts of different documents relating to Coastal Artillery in WW2, again is this just something you have or is it possible to obtain it from National Archives.   If so would you be able to pass on the relevant WO number.

Cheers

Phil

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

Phil

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 22:07:19 »
Ian,

Thanks for getting back on this one.  I was hoping that someone on this Forum may have been able to assist.:-[

I guess my only other hope might be Kent Council Archives or The Royal Artillery Museum in Woolwich.

If I do get anywhere I will get back to you.

Thanks again

Phil

Offline alysloper

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 22:03:30 »
Phil

Would that there were! Have looked at photos from 1950s but there seems to be nothing left even that far back - they did a lot of building and shoring up of the cliffs after WW2 to create more of a beach area. I presume it got lost during these works? I'm not even 100% sure that the guns were whereI say i.e. on the cliff top. Let me know if you find anything out.

thanks

Ian

Phil

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 20:24:41 »
Ian,

I take it there is no remains of any gun emplacement or pillbox etc?

Phil

Offline alysloper

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 22:54:37 »
Phil

I think the battery was on the clifftop just slightly south of Dumpton gap but I am not sure - I would also like to see any wartime photos of it which are about but I fear there are none?

Ian (of Broadstairs!)

Phil

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 17:17:00 »
Does anyone know the exact location of the Dumpton Point Battery in Broadstairs, and is there any trace of it today.

If anyone has any period or modern photos that would be great

Regards

Phil

Offline alysloper

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 08:47:49 »
I thought this was a tunnel to enable Quenn Victoria's servants to get to her when she stayed at Pierremont Hall? (they stayed nearby.) Maybe i got it wrong or maybe it was re-used in WW2?
 It must be possible to find out
I've seen this entrance often and woondered if it was possible to get in and have a look

thanks
Ian

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
Broadstairs Battery.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 21:31:30 »
Apart from the air raid shelter by the High Street, I could not see any other signs of things like a battery until I read this on the seawall.

It now pays to stop and read these sort of things.

Now i've found out that there was a battery near by.

Chandos Square, site of the barracks.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines