News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ramsgate Royal Harbour  (Read 16023 times)

mosky

Ramsgate Royal Harbour
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 07:57:47 »
Further to postings on the construction of the Breakwaters at Dover Harbour, does anyone know how Ramsgate Royal Harbour's Upright wall Breakwaters (started construction 1749 and completed 1850) were built? The waters at Ramsgate are shallower than at Dover. Air photos show silting in and around the Harbour.  The recent Breakwater extension to the west of the Royal Harbour is by deposition of rubble or concrete block mounds but the original Royal Harbour is built by Upright walls.  I am just wondering how they built this original Harbour in the late 18th and early 19th Century.  I can find nothing by Googling!  Incidentally Ramsgate is the only Royal harbour in Britain courtesy of George IV.

Monkton Malc

Re: Ramsgate Royal Harbour
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 17:55:54 »
Taken today...

Just to add a bit to kyn's starter...

In 1820, King George IV embarked, with the Royal Squadron, at Ramsgate on his way to Hanover. In appreciation of the hospitality he received, he decreed that Ramsgate Harbour should have the right to add 'Royal' to its name. This status of Royal Harbour is unique in mainland Britain.

Monkton Malc

Re: Ramsgate Royal Harbour
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 16:03:02 »
I thought I would add to this thread to save having several with the same name.

Another one of the watercolours that just hang on the wall here. There is no date or name that is visible and I am not going to remove it from it's frame.

Malcolm.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
Ramsgate Royal Harbour
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 19:25:33 »
Ramsgate is the country's only Royal Harbour, a title it earned from King George IV

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines