News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bekesbourne Aerodrome dragons teeth  (Read 17358 times)

seafordpete

Re: Bekesbourne Aerodrome dragons teeth
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2011, 16:26:13 »
Exactly LenP, we have lost the original point in that Bekesbourne's have triangular bases and 3 sdes whereas the others are square based, so 4 sided and may or may not be truncated. I always thought pimples were the circular based and conical bodied and dragons teeth were the square based  pyramid?

Offline LenP

• Appreciation 23
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2011, 16:21:13 »
That photo shows pimples not tetrahedrons. If they have a square base they must have four faces.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 76
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2011, 14:58:50 »
The documents infer these concrete obstacles were only used in the south-east and I have seen four groups and know of another group that has now gone. There are more listed I think.  I have never seen them on the Taunton line.

John G here's a link to a photo of some of the dragons teeth on the Taunton stop line

http://www.pillboxes-somerset.com/other_defences.htm
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2011, 12:52:30 »
cptpies.  Other sites: Adisham Station, on the west side of the line. Upton Wood near Coldred Street. Walking from houses on your left, walk past the houses, past a few farm type buildings and they are there on the left behind the buildings.  There were some at Shepherdswell Station on the west side of the line, now removed.  You can see them on some aerial photos.  There are more by a small bridge over the railway Palmsted Wood. It is the first bridge you come to heading towards Canterbury from Bekesbourne Station.  Stand on the bridge looking down the line towards Bekesbourne and they are on top on the cutting on the left.  I understand there could be one or two more sites.
If you  find any more please could you let me know.

Offline cptpies

• Appreciation 5
    • Extended Defence of Britain Overlay for Google Earth
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2011, 10:56:07 »
John I'd be interested to know which other sites you know of to check if they are in my database and listed correctly.
Get my Defence of Britain Overlay for GE here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v5e9iyg1n1q367r/hS4-ddBEb_

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 21:29:57 »
The documents infer these concrete obstacles were only used in the south-east and I have seen four groups and know of another group that has now gone. There are more listed I think.  I have never seen them on the Taunton line.

Offline cptpies

• Appreciation 5
    • Extended Defence of Britain Overlay for Google Earth
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 20:26:07 »
The Tetrahedra were unique to the south-east.

They were also used on the Taunton Stop Line extensively so were not restricted to the South East. However, they are vanishingly rare and these are probably the only surviving examples in the South East. It's hard to tell as they are often misidentified as Pimples on the DoB.
Get my Defence of Britain Overlay for GE here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v5e9iyg1n1q367r/hS4-ddBEb_

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 18:34:54 »
I have just checked the records and they call these obstacles Tetrahedrons. A trangular concrete pyramid, 6' each side and 5' high.

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 18:19:34 »
These concrete obstacles are not dragons teeth, nore are they anything to do with Bekesbourne Aerodrome.  These concrete obstacles are called tetrahedra and they are part of the Corps Stop Line.  There are more at Upton Wood just by the A2, there used to be more at Shepherdswell Station but they have now been removed.  If you go to Adisham Station they are still there. There are more by a bridge near Canterbury.  The Corps Stop Line followed the line of the railway from Dover northwards and followed thew railway line until the railway turned towards Canterbury, it then carried on northwards the the coast near Hern Bay.  The Tetrahedra were unique to the south-east.

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 17:12:27 »
The airfield, if not used by us very much, could obviously be used as a landing ground by the Germans. The Defence of Britain Data Base states that there was a possible field gun emplacement further down hill from the dragon's teeth.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 16:03:16 »
The dragons teeth at Bekesbourne airfield [which was only in use in the early part of WW2] Were prbably part of the defences for Adisham station which was the home for two 9.2 railway guns. Pillboxs were also built into the nearby railway viaduct, with a pillbox near to the main road.

Offline LenP

• Appreciation 23
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 14:09:19 »
From the English Heritage Online Thesaurus comes these definitions to differentiate between pimples and tetrahedrons:

Pimple:
Blocks of solid concrete,in the form of truncated pyramids usually 3 feet square x 2 feet high which could be placed in rows to impede enemy movement in the event of invasion. Pimples were recommended for use on soft ground.

Tetrahedron:
Triangular concrete pyramids with 6 feet long sides and 5 feet high, intended to impede enemy movement in the event of invasion. Thought to be confined geogaphically to Southern Command.

http://thesaurus.english-heritage.org.uk/thesaurus_term.asp?thes_no=365&term_no=123380

Offline Far away

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 13:11:24 »
So.... how come they have three instead of 4 sides? I am also suspicious of the font and the fact of the numbering.

Offline BenG

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 09:36:35 »
Yes they seem to be letter followed by number eg A0, A1, A2 as seen in my pictures.
I don't know what it all means though, batch number, location  ??? ???

worcester

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 23:37:28 »
Could you work out anything from the markings BenG, your photos seem to have picked up a lot more than mine - were they all letter followed by number?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines