News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Richborough Power Station.  (Read 45131 times)

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
Re: Richborough Power Station.
« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2012, 09:19:38 »
Those projects pale into insignificance compared to the £100billion (£100,000,000,000 = £1700 for every person in the UK!) that it is intended to spend on 30,000 wind turbines, plus billions to be spent on connecting them to the grid from their remote onshore and offshore locations.

Now the Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change, Ed Davey, has admitted that almost the equivalent output from conventional power stations will have to be available to provide back-up for times when there is not enough wind for wind turbines to work.
Christopher Booker, in ‘Sunday Telegraph’, 21/10/2012.

That is in addition to power stations that will have to be built to replace those that it was not intended that wind farms should replace, but which are currently being de-commissioned because they have passed their total permitted output.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline ashwood

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #85 on: October 25, 2012, 15:53:58 »
Wind power for electricity; does any one out there remember the infamous African Ground Nut scheme, Ostrich Meat, the Sinclair C5?
A few people on a band wagon with rose tinted spectacles!

Offline Far away

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #84 on: October 25, 2012, 12:16:26 »
Ah, well, that sounds pretty good then  :)

If they knock this one down, how many years before history forums start looking for the base, do you reckon?

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #83 on: October 25, 2012, 11:37:09 »
I think it means simply that they pump out into the grid about 25% of what they could if turning at full speed for 24 hours a day. What also seems to be overlooked is that there has to be the equivalent in other means of generation as a back-up for when they are not working. With a winter anti-cyclone centred over the UK with very little wind, it is possible that almost none of them will be working.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline Far away

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #82 on: October 25, 2012, 09:02:47 »
It seems that they only generate about 25% of their potential output anyway.

One always has to be very careful with this kind of data, because without context it is pretty meaningless. It might mean that if you calculated the energy in the air that passes through the blade disc area and how much of it is actually converted into energy is 25% - but since the blades cannot be everywhere at once and the blades close to the hub will be moving too slowly to gain much energy from the wind then this figure might be pretty good.

Or it could mean that since you cannot site the things next to each other, all the wind that misses the wind turbines is lost efficiency, or, or...

Offline howard

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2012, 13:37:19 »
Today at about 11.00. Not much sign of the cooling towers now!

Offline howard

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2012, 12:59:19 »
I took these as I was cycling from Sandwich to Ramsgate for the good of my health this morning.

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 57
« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2012, 12:56:42 »
Although the turbines in the above photo, the Kamaoa wind farm, should have been removed, they are not derelict because of a lack of subsidies. (they were the worlds first large scale experimental wind farm built in 1987) but because a new windfarm was built 1 1/2 miles down the road. And like the Richborough turbine, they have served their purpose. The fact that they still stand says more about the private ownership of electicity production for profit, rather than providing a public resourse for the common good.

Just shows the danger of believing the media - the report that went with the photo stated that it was due to the subsidies running out.  Your report above Unfairytale is probably nearer the truth - although not as sensational.   :)

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2012, 11:57:56 »
Point taken, well put Unfairytale. Thanks. S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2012, 11:26:45 »
Although the turbines in the above photo, the Kamaoa wind farm, should have been removed, they are not derelict because of a lack of subsidies. (they were the worlds first large scale experimental wind farm built in 1987) but because a new windfarm was built 1 1/2 miles down the road. And like the Richborough turbine, they have served their purpose. The fact that they still stand says more about the private ownership of electicity production for profit, rather than providing a public resourse for the common good.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2012, 11:14:34 »
I was just making a comparison in dereliction. I would be one of the first to fight to keep the Forts. I would like to see them put to some productive use, air traffic control for Boris Island????? S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2012, 10:58:02 »
Won't the North Kent coast look good when they get to that state................ A perfect Marine navigational hazard. They will match the Maunsell Forts in that respect. S4.

The Richborough towers would have ended-up in that state if they hadn't been demolished.
The biggest navigational hazard is human error. I'm quite happy for the Maunsell Forts to stay where they are.

When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 57
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2012, 00:01:22 »

A Wind Farm In Hawaii after the subsidies ran out. Hmmmm.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2012, 20:04:41 »
Thanks for the info Unfairytale.

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2012, 19:25:49 »
The interconnector to the National Grid from the Thannet windfarm has been up and running for ages.

My Brother-In-Law was working at Pfizer when the turbine lost one of its sails which landed on Pfizer's sports field.

The wind turbine at Whitfield Council Offices cost £90,000.00 and produces only 7% of the electicity used. I make that 15 more needed to make the place green. Just £1,260,000.00 more should do it!

As for Ashwoods concern about their eventual disposal costs; I guess they'll be the cheapest energy generators to recycle. Unlike Dungeness Nuclear Power Station.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines