News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Snowdown Colliery  (Read 68093 times)

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
    • My Portfolio
Re: Snowdown Colliery
« Reply #112 on: April 26, 2016, 18:01:32 »
Coming away from the 'Guess the Place` string. Would this be the winding gear JohnWalker ?

That's very similar to how I remember the winding gear at Chislet Colliery CAT.  I seem to recall that the operator was on a high platform overlooking the gear at Chislet.  The cable fitted into a spiral track on the enormous winding drum.  I believe Chislet might have been deeper than Snowdown but not sure.

JW

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
  • "Oh, sod it; the bloody thing’s stuck again"
« Reply #111 on: April 26, 2016, 15:11:50 »
I'm no expert but, from what I understand, mines have to have at least 2 access points, [usually 2 shafts but could be a 2 drifts or one of each]. To maintain a fresh supply of air to the workings one is an 'upcast' where the stale air is drawn up from out of the mine, and the other a 'downcast' where fresh air is drawn in.Underground there are air locks to maintain the air circuit. The fan would have been electrically driven, although in very old mines years ago before efficient fans were invented they'd have a fire at the bottom of a shaft and a chimney at the top of it to draw air up.
CAT's photo shows the upcast shaft headgear with an airlock around the pithead where the tubs were unloaded, this is to stop air entering via this route when the fan alongside is sucking air up out of the pit and blowing it out of the evase at the top of the fanhouse.
Men accessed the pit via the downcast shaft.

As I say, I'm no expert but I've been down 'Big Pit' at Blaenavon and read a couple of books on the subject.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #110 on: April 26, 2016, 00:29:53 »
The winding gear in CATs photo seems to be powered by electricity, maybe the fans were run from the same souce.
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline tinkered

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #109 on: April 25, 2016, 19:03:17 »
It`s apparent that I've labelled these photos with the wrong title, I should have put the heading up as a question of "Is this the winch winding room?" rather than stating it as a fact.
I am sorry if this has caused any confusion over the building's use.
I am curious to what DS239 said about it might be "a fan house".
As you look into it, the building is rounded at the bottom and the large diameter holes to the left and right have had what looks like bearing mounts could have been fixed on it.
The large green door is hinged at the top as if it could be a flap.
The capped No. 1 mine shaft is in front of the open end, and the No 2 shaft directly behind the green door.
So if this was a fan house, how was this driven?  By the winching equipment?

Offline CAT

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #108 on: April 25, 2016, 15:55:15 »
Just in case I am incorrect with my identification of the inside of the winding gear house on my previous posted pic., I have looked again at my collection and it includes, in the same batch, a view of the outside showing the new building next to the winding wheel. If you look at the windows on the new winding gear house they are the same as the ones in the inside view. To show it is the same building the cable can be seen coming out of the roof to the top of the winding wheel.

Offline CAT

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #107 on: April 25, 2016, 08:27:00 »
I would certainly bow to anyone more in the know on this DS239. All I can say is the series of images I have relate to and are titled 'the new winding house and mechanism' of about c.1952. However, not knowing a lot about the intimate details of mine workings and their buildings, I would be interested if anyone can provide anymore clarity?

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #106 on: April 23, 2016, 20:24:27 »
Just a couple more pictures taken from inside the old winch room.

Isn't that the fan house..?

Offline CAT

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2016, 19:13:27 »
Coming away from the 'Guess the Place` string. Would this be the winding gear JohnWalker ?

Offline CAT

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #104 on: April 20, 2016, 22:36:01 »
I hear plans are afoot to build a new mining heritage museum in the area?

Offline tinkered

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #103 on: April 20, 2016, 21:29:06 »
Just a couple more pictures taken from inside the old winch room.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #102 on: April 20, 2016, 09:54:44 »
I thought the same as didn't even consider there would be security on site. It would be perfect for a trust to be formed and a museum placed on site as they can't do anything with the land!

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #101 on: April 20, 2016, 00:14:14 »
There's some lovely shots there Kyn, I didn't know there was so much left. It's intriguing that someone is still paying for security to be on the site after all these years of closure.
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #100 on: April 19, 2016, 18:36:56 »
Lot's of pictures of this site for you, unfortunately I can't tell you much about it...

We were told by security that the site is on a hundred year lease and that is why it is still under control of the Coal Authority.  Seems a shame that some buildings are missing important parts, like RSJ's (strangely these seem to have been cut out), and are likely to collapse eventually having little support.

Capped Shaft

Shaft marker

Note the rail on the floor

Interesting electrics!

We found some coal!!

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #99 on: June 03, 2013, 13:35:25 »
This is going to seem a daft suggestion for the 71 and tanks. Could it be heavy fuel oil for the main boilers?

Maybe, but wouldn't the boilers be coal-fired  or are the tank wagons to do with the Bragg aggregate plant?
I did wonder if the train was dropping off or picking up a few coal wagons, but the coal traffic always seemed to worked in 'block' trains.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #98 on: June 03, 2013, 06:46:11 »
This is going to seem a daft suggestion for the 71 and tanks. Could it be heavy fuel oil for the main boilers?

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines