News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: RFC Lydd?  (Read 6889 times)

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
Re: RFC Lydd?
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 17:21:14 »

WWI

neil clark

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 13:40:12 »
Geoff,

Got those fantastic pics thanks.

I wonder where the machines actually took off and landed? The provided photos appear to show a landing area next to the Botolphs Bridge road towards West Hythe. The airfield was much much larger than I ever expected.

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 13:13:36 »
Great pics and comparisons.

It is not the locatin I originally posted as this was to the SW of the town. Would you like me to post a google image as seen?

Offline Trikeman

• Appreciation 26
  • History from above
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 00:26:04 »
Yes, I was really pleased when I saw this the first time. The original is probably with a member of KHARS - it came from the monthly newsletter, which is on copy paper, so I don't have a quality image. I'll see if I can find out the originator and get back to you.
Geoff
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

neil clark

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 23:57:12 »
Trikeman,

Now that is seriously impressive. My father lives close by that former airfield in West Hythe. That old aerial photo is the first I have ever seen of tis airfield. I have tried to copy it from your link but only get a really small image!

I wonder if you might agree to send these images to me by email? I promise to not release them to a third party if thats what you wish.

My email is - clarkneil@hotmail.co.uk

I'd love to use these pics to construct a report on my website?

The old image is more important as it is the first one I have ever seen or heard of.... I'm blown out th
e water by this image. Your modern day image clearly shows where the hangers were located. I never knew this place was so large....

I'm even prepared to pay for em! My father and a few other residents of nearby West Hythe will be pleased to see these images too...

Offline Trikeman

• Appreciation 26
  • History from above
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 23:48:37 »
Trikeman has indeed got a recent aerial picture; better yet I have a 1917 aerial shot for perspective - it's a scan from a poor quality original but you can see exactly where the airfield was by following the roads. They used the Dymchurch redoubt for accomodation. The airfield is now biscected by the RHD Railway and the whole area has been swallowed up by the gravel pits. There are plans afoot to build houses around the waterside.
There were quite a few WW1 training airfields along the coast, and ELG's for airliners after the war. I doubt there's anything left to see at Palmarsh now - although they likely commandeered some of the buildings that
 were already there.
Any more info / pics welcome. I may have some ground shots in one of my many books about flying in Kent - mostly written by familiar names from Kent Historical Aviation Research Soc [I belong as well - what these guys don't know about flying in Kent probably didn't happen!]
Trikeman

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 20:19:02 »
Thanks peeps - just stumbled across it in passing - well was looking for the AA position mentioned elsewhere as I had never heard of that either.

neil clark

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 16:30:35 »
Then of course there was the nearby RFC School of Aerial Gunnery at Dymchurch (Palmarsh). This airfield was run as an extention of the School of Musketry at Hythe. 

I wonder if Trikeman knows about this former airfield? I'd love to see some pics from his microlight?

This is helpful although some of the airfields are a bit out... - http://www.content-delivery.co.uk/aviation/airfields/

Best Wishes to all.
Neil

Offline Trikeman

• Appreciation 26
  • History from above
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 00:05:54 »
The military used Lydd Camp for balloons as early as 1886. In 1916 an RFC Balloon School was set up. Dering Farm, nearby was used as an airfield for an Artillery Co-op flt to work with guns on the range [ranges still there today]. It was also 3rd Class landing ground for home defence fighters.
In WW2 there was an ALG nearby, used briefly by Typhoons in 1943.
The Lydd airfielf of today has nothing to do with either site. Lots more details in Action Staions 9.
Trikeman

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
RFC Lydd?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 19:54:52 »
Googling the Earth and found a 'blue square' at 50'57"16.44 - 0' 54" 10.06 that appears to be a photo of a small building a few meters SW of the marker labelled 'RFC Balloon School Lydd'

Any ideas?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines