Kent History Forum

News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Steel Mill, Sheerness  (Read 11578 times)

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 210
Re: Steel Mill, Sheerness
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2017, 22:41:01 »
Link to some arty photos of the Thamesteel steel works Sheerness prior to demolition.
http://www.bcd-urbex.com/thamesteel-steel-works-sheerness-uk
Pretty impressive full screen.
All the Lads in Town  Merry Wives of Windsor

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2016, 07:47:12 »
Herb Collector ref sec 4.4.29 of your very interesting article. Water logging,was a prime factor in the excavations on the site, I understood that part of the area we excavated was "infill' of a defensive moat or ditch. All the remains , seen by me, had obviously been interred below the water table. However, those coffins that were damaged by the excavators, showed the contents remarkably preserved. The fact that the occupants had little or no artefacts is now explained by the fact that they were convicts, who had very little in life. It was a sad indictment of our times that some of the coffins were rifled overnight by persons unknown, at least one skull was removed. We returned the remains as best we could during our time on site. At all times we were instructed by SEEB to treat anything found responsibly and with respect. Over the years I have often wondered what sort of people they were.Thank you for that!

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 210
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2016, 21:08:43 »
..........  One interesting thing I recall was a number of coffins we uncovered during excavation work,on on forming the police we were instructed to "just put them back when you finish" an Indian labourer employed on site,a very religeous man, was most up set and attempted to get some sort of service held for the repose of there souls,
Any ideas as to how or why people came to be interred in such a remote place?

From A Characterisation of Sheerness, Kent. Project Report. Link originally posted by Kyn. Reposted here for convenience.

Military burial ground AAP (Area of Archaeological Potential)

4. 4.27 This AAP appears to have been established for use by the garrison by the later 1810s and become disused by 1890s. (I would suggest dates of 1806, when an earlier burial ground went out of use, and 1857, when Sheerness Cemetery opened.) It now lies within the steelworks complex and is occupied by mixture of railway lines and hardstanding with a small area of warehousing at its very northern tip. Archaeological deposits in this area are likely to exclusively relate to this period of operation.

4.4.28 The burial ground appears to have been for the garrison, convicts and may have been also used for some naval burials. The convicts are likely to have been present as they were used in the construction of military projects during this period. The burial ground is not recorded on either the KCC HER or the HE AMIE and, as such, any surviving deposits are likely to be of some heritage significance in physically documenting a previously unrecorded activity. Any surviving burials, and associated memorials, are likely to have high heritage significance. This is as there is little physical evidence associated with the individuals who worked in the garrison. Additionally, as burials would be of a quite specific kind, being likely to comprise males of a restricted age range and from potentially divergent social groups, the nature of pathologies may be of considerable heritage significance.

4.4.29 The burial ground lies in an area occupied by heavy industry since the later 1960s and it is not clear what level of ground disturbance this use may have caused. Ground surface within the area appears relatively unaltered and it is possible that limited disturbance occurred. If this is the case then burials may be well preserved, particularly considering the likelihood of waterlogging.

4.4.30 The AAP may be regarded as having a high potential for archaeological deposits of high heritage significance. It is unclear whether their survival has been compromised by recent industrial activity. Until any intrusive archaeological fieldwork is undertaken in this area, this assessment of potential cannot be refined.

See also; 3.5.10, 3.6.12, 3.6.13, and map figure 11; Archaeological Potential.
All the Lads in Town  Merry Wives of Windsor

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2016, 07:34:28 »
Hi all, I was employed as an electrical fitter  by SEEB 33kv construction section. We installd the 33kv sub station and cabling for the steel works ,when we started working at the site the only thing there
 was an abandoned Garison motor maintenance building .One interesting thing I recall was a number of coffins we uncovered during excavation work,on on forming the police we were instructed to "just put them back when you finish" an Indian labourer employed on site,a very religeous man, was most up set and attempted to get some sort of service held for the repose of there souls,
Any ideas as to how or why people came to be interred in such a remote place?

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2016, 07:44:26 »
It's amazing that the company has just walked away and left it like that. in 1970 I was at a closed cement works and every bit of unwanted machinery was stripped out for scrap or sold for reuse.
mmitch.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 65
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2016, 18:57:34 »
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 418
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 17:57:56 »
The Thamesteel Limited brochure

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 418
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 20:40:58 »
Thats great news, thanks for posting Helcion.

Offline helcion

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 20:33:28 »
sparky230    -

I see bill and bill have gone from the yard, anyone know where they gone?

BILL & BEN had arrived at the Barrow Hill works of the Harry Needle Railroad Company at Staveley, Derbyshire by 16th.February.
HNRC is a major locomotive hirer & dealer & also have scrap operations.

The information was posted on the Industrial Railway Society Yahoo group by Harry Needle himself a few days later.
He also added that BILL had already been started up & was in good order apart from a few minor jobs & will presumably be joining their hire fleet.

A little information on HNRC at   -

http://www.pirtek.co.uk/about-pirtek/industry-hose-replacement/transport-and-logistics/Harry-Needle-Railroad-Company.aspx

Further information & an out-of-date list of HNRC locos at  -

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HNRC

Cheers

Helcion

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 13:28:37 »
I hear tell that when some workers went to collect their tools etc ,they also loaded up their cars with other useless ???? bits and pieces that were lying around and the  administrators found it a  very dificult  job.
The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

Offline sparky230

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 21:57:35 »
i'm lead to believe they may have bought by railway society,i'm told the deal was done before the company went bust, but i've been unable to find out who it is, Certainly isnt one of the local ones.

Offline sparky230

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 00:19:48 »
i see bill and bill have gone from the yard, anyone know where they gone?

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 418
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 23:27:51 »
Britainís first steel mini-mill was at Sheerness, in Sep 1974 it was being expanded and a number of other developments were being contemplated by private sector producers.

A lorry driver was charge, in February 1980, with wounding after a picket line incident outside Sheerness Steel Mill, where about 500 of the private steel company workers were defying union instructions to strike.  Police said the driver was to appear in court at Sheerness the following month.

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 15:59:09 »
Bill & Ben in pic 4 ....  :) or could be :(

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mslrman/4714102120/
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

Nobby007

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 15:57:18 »
Great photos I've driven the scrap train in there loads of times, but I've never seen inside the mill before.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines