News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Brunel Sawmill  (Read 41081 times)

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
Re: The Brunel Sawmill
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 14:46:40 »
A few photos of this lovely building:

cliveh

merc

Re: The Brunel Sawmill
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 13:51:06 »
October 14, 1819

The attention of the observer is immediatly engaged by the Sawmill and timber establishment, which have been executed under the directions of Mr Marc Brunel, a gentleman who is well known to the scientific world, and whose ingenuity  here is particularly remarkable: and whose plans, it is hoped, will ultimately be carried out to their full extent. On the first view of the saw-mill, it appears to have been badly placed, as it stands upon a steep slope, and consequently appears to increase the difficulty to a common observer in raising huge blocks of timber to their requisite height.

Being led through a subterraneous canal, i entered a large reservoir, where i saw a tree of great magnitude emerging from the water, and lifted up about 50 feet perpendicularly in little more 30 seconds. A movable crane then took hold of it, which was successively followed, in like manner, by other timber. Then, having ascended to the margin of the reservoir, i had a full view of the timber-ground, where the crane had deposited its load upon an extensive stack, and was returning with great speed. Here it was perceived why the engineer had chosen such an elevated spot for the mill, for by so doing he gained the advantage to the travelling crane of an easy descent upon a railway of about 1,000 feet. I was next shown the manner in which the elevator is controlled in it's tremendous action.

The interior of the saw-mill exhibits machinery of another kind, equally ingenious. A steam-engine of 30 horse power is adequate to the whole of the mechanical service of the establishment. Inside the mill were eight saw frames, that each carried 36 saws, so producing 1260ft of sawing per minute. While it would be impossible to maintain a rate throughout the day, the potential was so great, that the needs of the dockyard could be met by this one unit.

From The Times.

Marc Brunel's Sawmill and machinery revolutionised the handling and sawing of timber at the yard. It also saved the Admiralty huge amounts of money.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
The Brunel Sawmill
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 19:24:40 »
Merc and I had a visit here today, we went for a nose around the sawmill and gained access (with permission) to the canal that used to join the sawmill and the mast ponds.  Info:

Brunel Sawmill was built in 1814 to replace the slow process of workers sawing wood, the job was repetitive and back breaking so Marc Brunel designed a steam powered sawing machine.  The sawmill was connected to the south mast pond by an underground canal, this canal was adapted during the war into an air raid shelter and a command and control bunker in case of a nuclear war.  The canal tunnel now consists of two sunken rooms and one upper room in the bunker end and six sections of tunnel separated by blast walls in the shelter end.  There were three entrances into the air raid shelters and two into the bunker plus an emergency escape.

Pics:

Air raid shelter end

Bunker end

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines