News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Brunel Sawmill  (Read 39139 times)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
Re: The Brunel Sawmill
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2018, 21:52:56 »
New IKS video exploring the Sawmill tunnel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8NYPeztV9A

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2015, 21:07:30 »
I have just been reading a book on the Great Western Broad Gauge, the 7' gauge. This was a different railway not only for the Gauge but the construction. Instead of transverse sleepers (as still seen on virtually all railways in the World) it ran on a Baulk Road. This was long timbers with the rails nailed to the top and transverse baulks keeping the twain apart. There are several theories as to how Isambard came to the construction and gauge, however it seems that he had already worked on a short line of that, or close to, gauge and construction here in Chatham Dockyard. It appears that as well as the Tunnel Canal there was a rail link constructed at the same time.

Are there any illustrations, documents or evidence of remains of this line? It would have run close to or even over the tunnel, with 8" - 12" baulks set into the granite setts, much like the horse wagon runs that can be seen in places around the docks, but with iron rails on the timber.

This might seem to be insignificant to many but to me is rather important as it ties in with some research I have been doing recently.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2013, 13:01:30 »
Hi Zhica,

The plans are from file ADM 140/99 at the National Archives in Kew.  :)

zhica

« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2013, 01:41:30 »
Dear Kyn,

I was just wondering -  do you possibly have the archive references for the cast iron beam and proposed cast iron floor drawings?

If you do, I would be most grateful.

Best wishes

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2013, 07:22:27 »
Hi! I'm the lad who worked at Lodge Hill as a junior store house assistant (see military lands) after being sent "over the river" to the yard. I was allocated to the old saw mills. it was a wonderland of things to play with, it was in fact the naval diving stores, rows and rows of Sibe Gorman helmets with lovely shiny brass bits too, air cocks, face plates to remove. Large cardboard boxes holding rubber diving suits.
Packed in French chalk, all the multitude of stores to cover every type of RN requirements, all mine to play with as each ships outfit was, at the most, two sets of equipment. Not a lot of work came our way.The staff consisted of a store man, a stores assistant and me. Two ladies drifted in and out from time to time, but not too sure of there function, apart from selling raffle tickets plus making tea.
I remember the cast iron saw frames, but not a lot much else. Happy days!

Thanks for those memories Signals99. I always wondered what uses the Sawmill had in more recent times.

cliveh

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2013, 23:01:12 »
Hi! I'm the lad who worked at Lodge Hill as a junior store house assistant (see military lands) after being sent "over the river" to the yard. I was allocated to the old saw mills. it was a wonderland of things to play with, it was in fact the naval diving stores, rows and rows of Sibe Gorman helmets with lovely shiny brass bits too, air cocks, face plates to remove. Large cardboard boxes holding rubber diving suits.
Packed in French chalk, all the multitude of stores to cover every type of RN requirements, all mine to play with as each ships outfit was, at the most, two sets of equipment. Not a lot of work came our way.The staff consisted of a store man, a stores assistant and me. Two ladies drifted in and out from time to time, but not too sure of there function, apart from selling raffle tickets plus making tea.
I remember the cast iron saw frames, but not a lot much else. Happy days!

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2013, 18:24:01 »
There are no more!  You will have to wait until my next visit to the Archives, whenever that will be!  I am glad you have enjoyed them though :)

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2013, 18:03:14 »
Nooooo, need more........................ Please. :) :) :) :) :)

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2013, 08:32:21 »
Last four images...

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2013, 14:00:03 »

Plan and sections of the Engine and boiler house of the Saw Mill at His Majesty's Dock Yard at Chatham.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2013, 14:20:13 »
Saw Mill - plan & elevation of Engine Chimney June 19th 1813

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2013, 18:45:09 »
 :)  There are still some more to come!

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2013, 18:34:11 »
Kyn, I will love you forever for posting these............... Marc Brunel a genius, an unsung genius at that........... Thank you so much, and yes I am drooling............... These answer a good few questions, as well as starting a few. Enough for now I have to go back to these drawings...............

Your Obedient Servant, S4.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2013, 15:59:12 »

Cast Iron beams with plates & for securing the Pumps and Machinery against accidents from fire erected in His Majesty's Dock Yard at Chatham.  December the 23rd 1814.  (Signed by Brunel himself).

Proposed Cast Iron Floor, party walls & for the protection from fire of the Water Works and Machinery connected with the Saw Mill erected in His Majesty's Dock Yard at Chatham.  Nov 25th 1814.  (Signed by Marc Brunel).

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2013, 13:17:37 »
Apologies for the very tightly cut photos, these were huge and my arms were not long enough to hold the camera up to get everything in!

1812 - 1817

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines