News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Arethusa and Chichester Training Ships, Greenhithe Kent  (Read 9488 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

seafordpete

  • Guest
Re: Arethusa and Chichester Training Ships, Greenhithe Kent
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 09:38:43 »
From Googling "Shaftesbury, Arethusa"-   The only other suitable vessels available at that time, and the requirement was by now becoming extremely urgent, were the Beatrice built in 1881 and 289ft long and the Peking built in 1911 and 322ft long. The Committee favoured the larger ship but she had been built in Hamburg and, once again, they were fearful that the Prince of Wales might not approve. However an approach was made to the Prince who accepted that, if no British ship were available, the Peking could become the new Arethusa.

The Peking was steel hulled and in excellent condition. At the outbreak of the First World War she had been in Valparaiso and, in the distribution of the spoils of war, she was awarded to Italy who resold her to her original German owners, Ferdinand and Carl Laeisz, in 1923. She was one of the successful Flying P,s (Parina, Privall, Padua, Pamir, Pluto and Passat were others) and had been employed on the nitrate trade with South America until the slump in commerce dealt a death blow to this famous sailing fleet.

Mr Howson Devitt and Commander Bower visited Hamburg, inspected the ship and agreed a price of £6250 as lying. She was towed to Greenhithe by the firm Bugsiers of Hamburg arriving on 19th October 1932 and permitted by the PLA to berth near Arethusa for a fortnight. There she was named Arethusa II and preparations were made to convert her for use as a training ship. For this purpose Mr G.W. Roger, an Engineer and Naval Architect was appointed to prepare the plans and advise on contracts which were expected to amount to about £15,000.

The new Arethusa, her conversion completed, was moored at Upnor on 4th July 1933 for a fee of £25 per year and she was officially opened by HRH Prince George on 25th July. The old Arethusa was towed away from Greenhithe on 18th July 1933 and thus ended an era of training Shaftesbury boys at Greenhithe which had been going on since the inauguration of the Chichester on 18th December 1866.


Offline Riding With The Angels

  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 972
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
Re: Arethusa and Chichester Training Ships, Greenhithe Kent
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 22:21:32 »
The Society's first training ship was HMS Chichester but it was the name of the second training ship, the former HMS Arethusa purchased in 1874, which was adopted for subsequent Shaftesbury Homes' training ships. The Arethusa, which had been the last Royal Navy warship to go into action under sail alone, remained in service until 1932.

The replacement training ship was another sailing vessel, the merchantman Peking "one of the famous 'Flying Ps' built in Germany. In 1933 she become the second Arethusa training ship at a new base which had been established at Lower Upnor on the River Medway. When the first Arethusa was broken up its figurehead was saved and placed on display at the new base where it has remained every since as a prominent local landmark and is now within the grounds of the Arethusa Venture Centre.

taken from http://www.frindsburyextra-pc.gov.uk/TSArethusa.htm

Offline Riding With The Angels

  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 972
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
Re: Arethusa and Chichester Training Ships, Greenhithe Kent
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 22:13:38 »
Here's a site with comparable pics on - seeing as these pics are dated 1900-1910 and the Peking was built in Germany in 1911 that seems to settle it. The one that was at Greenhithe in 1900 waste 50 gun frigate that took part in a number of engagements in previous years as a warship.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhouse/trainingships/Arethusa1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhouse/trainingships/&usg=__HKvoj0UXxEbGxCBvl-wC-bD2UM8=&h=289&w=523&sz=30&hl=en&start=116&tbnid=QxW1cA3ZUY2rMM:&tbnh=72&tbnw=131&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dhms%2Barethusa%26start%3D108%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D18%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

Offline kyn

  • Administrator
  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 7430
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
Re: Arethusa and Chichester Training Ships, Greenhithe Kent
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 17:55:44 »
09 Aug. , 1861 , ARETHUSA (1849), 4th rate, launched from No3 Dock as a frigate, having been enlarged and fitted for steam propulsion. Originally built at Pembroke Dock. She became the Training Ship Arethusa off Greenhithe, 1874 - 1934


Offline kyn

  • Administrator
  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 7430
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
Arethusa and Chichester Training Ships, Greenhithe Kent
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 12:39:07 »
1898 advert.

 

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines