News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Citadel Battery, Western Heights, Dover  (Read 23441 times)

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
    • National Three Peaks Challenge 2012, raising funds for Help for Heroes
Re: Citadel Battery, Western Heights, Dover
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 14:28:20 »
Each gun had its own sector of sky to fire into though, all very well planned out and completely unchaotic.
Three Peaks Challenge 2012 - raising funds for Help for Heroes
www.bmycharity.com/Islesy

Offline cptpies

• Appreciation 5
    • Extended Defence of Britain Overlay for Google Earth
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 14:26:29 »
Possibly during Operation DIVER something like this would have happened with all AA guns light and heavy in range of a target firing. The concentration of guns for this op was very dense so would have made a bit of a racket no doubt.
Get my Defence of Britain Overlay for GE here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v5e9iyg1n1q367r/hS4-ddBEb_

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 11:05:00 »
bit of a daft question here, the way i imagine it at times of crisis/enemy intrusion into u.k. air space is that all guns from folkestone to st margarets were all being fired at once. would anybody know the answer to this.there must have been times of chaos and over enthusiasm when this happened.

I wouldn't have thought the heavier guns such as these at the Citadel Battery would have been employed in an AA role. There was a AA control centre in the Casemate tunnels at Dover Castle that controlled and co-ordinated all the AA guns in the area.

cliveh

theartist

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 10:57:52 »
bit of a daft question here, the way i imagine it at times of crisis/enemy intrusion into u.k. air space is that all guns from folkestone to st margarets were all being fired at once. would anybody know the answer to this.there must have been times of chaos and over enthusiasm when this happened.

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 15:18:49 »
A few pics from my recent visit:

cliveh

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 21:49:44 »
I park on the corner of Maxton Road and Mount road, just off the Folkstone Road. Where these two roads join on the corner, there is a footpath. Its the same sort of distance, but I don't think it is as much of a steep climb.

Thanks for your suggestion Roland!  :)

cliveh

Offline Roland

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 21:24:53 »
I park on the corner of Maxton Road and Mount road, just off the Folkstone Road. Where these two roads join on the corner, there is a footpath. Its the same sort of distance, but I don't think it is as much of a steep climb.

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 20:24:36 »
During WWII most defence guns had over head cover built onto them, the problem with this was it restricted the arch of fire.  The reason for over heard cover was to protect the gun crew from air attack.  At Citadel Battery they did not want to restrict the archs of fire so they built gun houses on to the existing armour plate shields so the whole lot rotated.  So the photographs up to WWII were open gun emplacements and then closed gun emplacements after that.  I have only seen photographs of Citadel with open gun emplacements.
There were only two 9.2-inch guns at the Citadel Battery during WWII, the middle one had been removed.  In the records it talks of guns being changed, this was just replacing the barrels, the barrel was the gun, the rest was the mounting.  It does not mean the mounting was changed.  JohnG

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 16:27:21 »
Thanks AnDy - that's very helpful.  :)

cliveh

AnDy

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 15:57:36 »
South of the Citadel is a housing estate, I parked in St.George's Crescent then walked past the small childrens play area and then up the hill to the Citadel Battery.

http://binged.it/y8qU74

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 15:47:40 »
Please can anyone advise me - I'm thinking of visiting this battery soon and then walking onto Farthingloe HAA site. Where's the best and safest place for me to park up for a couple of hours? I'll be coming in from Maidstone M20/A20.

cliveh

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 23:19:02 »
1946 A.P.

When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

DoverDan

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 17:39:00 »
The men of Citadel battery on parade within the ditch of the Western outworks of the Citadel.

The bomb damage to the outer wall happened just minutes after another parade on 7th November 1940.

DoverDan

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 19:49:27 »
I'm not too sure Unfairytale, the photo is from an old booklet which was put together with the help of the wartime commander of the battery Reginald Puttee and i belive it is one of his own photos.
In this scan of the whole page the picture descriptions refer to the barrels arriving and getting the guns into position.

Also the first two photos look like the barrel is being winched up the hill from Farthingloe rather than down.

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 09:51:19 »
Is that not a 9.2 being removed? the Battery was built for 3 9.2" guns but by 1939 there were only 2 there.  The 9.2" guns at Langdon were removed in 1929 and sent off to the far east, could this have gone at the same time?
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines