News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Chez Laurie / The Blitz, Thanet Way, Herne Bay  (Read 17593 times)

Offline Tony Francis

• Appreciation 0
Re: Chez Laurie / The Blitz, Thanet Way, Herne Bay
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2016, 21:30:27 »
I remember the Chez Laurie myself having attended dances there back in the 60's with a social group that would meet almost monthly for ballroom dancing and they were good times. I even remember that when I first ever got engaged I celebrated it at a Ballroom dance there and again on the following weekend with my then lady`s parents and my mum and it was very nice indeed, nice memories. I can also remember going past there many times as a child as I was born and lived in Broomfield and went to school at St Mary`s, Reculver C of E School. Later I actually sung in the choir at St Mary`s, Reculver.

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2014, 12:29:20 »
Find it rather amusing that the more recent restaurant / hotel complex westward on the Thanet Way from the Chez Laurie / Roman Galley of yore is variously described as `Canterbury North` (stupid), `Broomfield` (which it is not, really) or `Herne Bay` (which is arguable). Just wonder why they do not use the correct, historical, name for the area, viz, Bogshole. Must be a reason, I suppose.

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2014, 12:17:55 »
60 odd years ago in Herne Bay, if there were two known names of remote frontier outposts it was the `Chez Laurie` in one direction and the `Share & Coulter` pub in the other, going beyond either always being memorable events for youngsters.

Offline Maid of Kent

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2014, 22:09:02 »
I was taken there for Afternoon Tea by my young friends father to celebrate her birthday about 1947. The three of us were the only customers. Then, of course, there were hardly any cars - petrol was still rationed and the Chez Laurie was rather in the 'wilds' and I dont think on a bus route.

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2013, 18:59:05 »
RDFB2 Post is not a picture of the Blitz, Chez Laurie, it is the Prospect Inn at Minster in Thanet. This building is now part of the Holiday Inn Motel complex.
The building remains because it is a listed structure and has been since the 1950s.

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 57
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 19:42:55 »
When the Chez Laurie became a disco I supplied some of the Sound and Lighting Equipment for it.  It was quite a place but the building was getting tired.  Looked ok at night with the disco lighting though and a few beers.

I had to call on the owners one day to discuss new equipment.   I couldn't get a reply at the front so walked round the back.  As I rounded a corner I came face to face with a very large Alsatian guard dog on a long chain. The lips went back to show off a beautiful set of fangs.  It started toward me and realising the chain wasn't short enough to restrain it I shouted SIT! and pointed to the ground.  It looked very confused so I walked backwards slowly with the dog following still showing it's teeth and growling.  I continued to shout commands at it until I thought it was at the end of it's chain and then I ran.  As I looked back the dog took a flying leap and came to the end of it's chain nearly breaking it's neck.  Close call and I never went back.  The disco closed not long after so if I had gained any orders for equipment, I might never had been paid so thanks dog.

JW

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 73
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 17:29:25 »
I`m not 100% certain but I think this is the interior of the Chez Laurie around 1957. The windows and possibly the chandeliers appear to be correct for a 1930s building. If I`m wrong it is the Beresford Hotel, Birchington.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 73
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 15:57:49 »
I have a few pics of the interior, as the firm I worked for held their annual dinner and dance there. I think the Manager was Mr. Dollamore who eventually took over the Beresford Hotel, Birchington. I can`t post the pics as I`m a beginner on the computer and haven`t a clue how to do it.

AnDy

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 01:48:01 »
There must be more photo's out there of this site.

NickReed

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 00:23:59 »
The two petrol stations were actually National stations. I moved to Broomfield as a 9yr old in May 1978 and remember driving past them many times and seeing the Smurf banners in the windows of the kiosks!

My mum went to the Chez Laurie regularly in it's heyday.

stu.wilson

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 17:51:36 »
I think i've heard this before, what a fantastic building this was though! such a shame we have nothing of such glory around now in this area. I also saw some pics of the old Chestfield petrol station which was art deco to, but yet again ripped odwn to make way for concrete

Yes it certainly would be listed like the Prospect is
My Dad seems to recall that when part of the site was being cleared the bulldozer mistakenly
took down part of or all of the Chez building so it all had to come down. :o >:(

Monkton Malc

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 21:37:13 »
There was a matching petrol filling station on the other side of the road from that one.

It was removed, or what was left of it was, when they built the dual carrigeway.

As far as I can remember, it was a Shell filling station but it was a long time ago.

Offline BenG

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 13:36:41 »
Popped back up here at lunch today to get some pictures of the petrol station.

The site:

Forecourt island:

Top of pole:

Garage shop?:

Fuel cut off switch:

Windows:

Switches:

Outside light fitting:

Water tank. Wasn't going to walk underneath it!  :o

Vent pipes?

The eves of the roof:

Offline BenG

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 09:37:52 »
Yes it certainly would be listed like the Prospect is
My Dad seems to recall that when part of the site was being cleared the bulldozer mistakenly
took down part of or all of the Chez building so it all had to come down. :o >:(

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 08:30:16 »
Nice pics :)

That building would have been listed now :(
Knocked down for what ???
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines