News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Leysdown Aerodrome  (Read 17881 times)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 426
    • Sheppey History
Re: Leysdown Aerodrome
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2017, 23:14:32 »
Images replaced

Ted H

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2013, 15:09:23 »
There was a grass airstrip at Leysdown pre-war used by RAF aircraft firing at targets off-shore. I can remember seeing Hawker Harts there, and when the tide was out [and the red flag was not showing] looking for empty cartridge cases in the sand.

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 236
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2010, 22:09:43 »
http://www.muswellmanor.co.uk/aviation_history.htm
A very good account of the pioneer days at Leysdown.
I do have one criticism of the aviation history timeline in that there is no mention of Sir George Cayley, 1773-1857.
One of the most important people in aviation history. I know that he comes from Yorkshire, but credit where credits due. :) In 1804 he flew, as a model, a glider of similar layout to a modern aeroplane. In 1849 he built a gliding machine which carried a boy on a short flight, while in 1853 his coachman flew in a larger gliding machine.

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2009, 08:17:22 »
Heres a bit of an overlay with Trikemans (borrowed) Plan :)

You can save it to desktop and zoom in.
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2009, 12:55:36 »
When we were kids and my parents had a caravan at Leysdown we used to play in those old buildings. We used to climb on the roof to get to the Jackdaws nests/Eggs ( naughty) down the chimneys. There used to be painted white stones outside the buildings and I also remember what looked like upturned concrete triangles in the ground with water laying in the bottom over towards the sea wall...good for newts!! I played in these buildings up till around 1965/66 ish and I think they went not long after that.There was also an old well out in the field between there and Muswell Manor.

Offline Trikeman

• Appreciation 26
  • History from above
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2009, 12:07:05 »
Plan of Leysdown airfield.

Plans from 1930 relating to moving the remaining large hangar to Hendon. Shows full extent of airfield after 1918, the strange shape of the flying field is easily discernible today and the feint outline of the hangars can still sometimes be seen from the air [have a look at Google Earth]. Muswell Manor is also shown to make orientation easier. The WW2 Aerial Photo Archive also shows remaining buildings, although not as extensive - if anyone can get a copy of that I would like to see it [I only have a postage stamp snippet]. Airfield remained MOD property into 1970's, not sure when buildings were finally demolished.
Keep the info coming in - it's all fascinating
Trikeman

2007 Aerial Shot - lots of old field marks

1930 plan - essentially full extent of 1918 airfield

1918 Aerial view
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 12:40:26 »
Here is a further image, looks like a bank and ditch in the foreground. At the end of this you can see an area of water, this looks like the oblong area of water in the old photo. The original early flying ground is the large flat area out to the left of the Manor House.

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 12:06:15 »
Interesting :)

I know they had anti-landing and seagull trenches in WW2.

Has anyone got a plan of the aerodrome?

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 23:36:09 »
Whilst taking a walk to The Hamlet Shellness earlier this year (may 09) I took this picture of Muswell manor from the sea wall, in the field you can see the scaring from Leysdown RAF airfield, 1920's. These are probably roadways as the main base was out to the right of this picture. Shorts aircraft factories and the flying ground is out to the left of this picture.Muswell manor in the background is the home of the aero clubhouse where that famous picture of the Shorts,Wrights,Rolls and mc Clean, brabazon etc  was taken.

I have scanned an image of Leysdown airfield.  In my picture of Muswell manor I took the picture from the sea wall which is roughly at the top right hand side of this image.As stated before this image is from the book 'Kent aviation A Century of Flight' by Roy humphreys.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 426
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 21:33:18 »
 :)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 426
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 14:08:13 »
 :)

david brown

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 22:19:47 »
I see from the photo of the first aviators taken at Muswell Manor that there was a Mr Brewer in the photograph
Until the early 1900s there was a farm on Harty called "Longwood" but was renamed "Brewers Hill Farm" I wonder if it was renamed in honour of Mr Brewer or perhaps he lived there!

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 13:46:31 »
Leysdown 1918

smiler

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 15:52:28 »
I have copies of the layout at Leysdown these include the site where  Harts Camp was built, the road that was proposed started at what is now the Sheltered Home for Elderly, on the right of Leysdown Road running parralel continuing to what is Park Road   (near Police Station ), it was to be called Priory Hill Road. it would have gone through what is now Harts Camp.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines