News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dungeness Lighthouses  (Read 10152 times)

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
Re: Dungeness Lighthouses
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 14:23:36 »
I just think the old one looks better. Also I like to see things working as designed.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Far away

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 12:38:46 »
Great photos, cliveh, I did not realize the old-old still existed in any form.

Just a thought; If the powerstation is ever demolished will they re-commision the old lighthouse?

Eh, why would they want to? Is there something wrong with the new one?

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 146
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 10:23:38 »
A few recent photos:

The 'Old' Lighthouse:

The remains of the 'Old Old' Lighthouse, now a residence:

The 'Old' Lighthouse with the 'Old Old' in the foreground:

The 'New' Lighthouse:

cliveh

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 10:32:14 »
Just a thought; If the powerstation is ever demolished will they re-commision the old lighthouse?
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 77
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 09:39:43 »
I hope the poor old bloke took the advice then  :) he looks a bit worn out. Thanks for the pic .
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 09:29:31 »
   From Kent a chronicle of the century by Bob Ogley

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 08:29:59 »

29th June 1960                   from Kent a chronicle of the century by Bob Ogley.

ellenkate

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 15:58:39 »

Dungeness Lighthouse ?

"I have farther information of the awful effects of the lightning which was stated in our last (ie last edition)  struck the tower in the forenoon of Sunday, we learn that a chasm of 2' in width in a zig-zag direction has been made in it from the top to the bottom.

The rooms through all of which the electric fluid passed, were strewed with the rubbish of bricks and mortar, the materials of its construction.  Some old reflectors, and the tin utensils for cooking were, some melted, and others rolled up like a scroll;  the small dwe
lling attached to it, below, was wholly unroofed, and the entire building so shaken, as to render it dangerous to ascend for the purpose of lighting, although a light continues to be shown;  and it is not improbable that the first violent gale from the northward may tumble the whole fabric to the ground. 

As soon as the state of the building was perceived, Mr MARSHALL the assistant surgeon of the Coast Blockade visited it for the purpose of rendering any assistance that might be required by the inmates and, although the shock appeared to be most severe in the room in which the keeper of the lighthouse and his family, consisting of 8 or 9 persons were assembled, it was gratifying to find that, providentially, not the slightest injury had been sustained by either of them. 

The lighthouse is, we believe, the property of T.W. COKE Esq. of Norfolk and must be taken down and wholly rebuilt. " 

(Kentish Gazette 28 Dec
1821 Back page col.4  at the bottom)

Philio81

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 12:42:19 »
Sounds promising will pop down there again at the weekend and have a good look at the bell and see if theres anything else they might know.

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 61
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 20:06:02 »
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

seafordpete

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 16:34:50 »
1938 is too early for a Liberty ship, most of them, if not all were named after people

Philio81

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 19:11:48 »
Cheers for the info de Mol will have a look at the site  :)

Offline de Mol

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 17:40:01 »

Philio81

Dungeness Lighthouses
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 17:02:19 »
 Popped down to the lighthouse at dungoness today and was speaking to a lady who works there when she mentioned the Bell that is mounted in the shop area. She said they think it comes from an old American Liberty ship but are not sure. The Bell has "SHIP ORSO 1838" written on it (Im pretty sure the number is 1838 ???) They would love to find out any information on the ship it came from if possible so would be very greatful for any info anyone might have :)

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines