News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Harty Ferry  (Read 11886 times)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
Re: The Harty Ferry
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2012, 11:57:43 »
Thank you for adding the details scoop.

Offline scoop

• Appreciation 46
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2012, 21:42:49 »
Morning Chronicle Thursday 27th June 1816

ACCIDENT.- The following melancholy accident ocurred on Sunday evening, on the River Swale, near Faversham, Kent.  A party of persons, chiefly females, had spent the day in a water excursion to Whistable, and had arrived at Faversham Creek's Mouth, on their return home, when it was proposed to proceed to Harty Ferry-house to take tea.  After staying there until nearly nine o'clock, they all (being ten in number) re-embarked in a small boat, and were in the act of going off to there  vessel, which lay at anchor near to the opposite shore, and to which they had almost arrived when the boat turned over.  The ferry-man crossing the river in his boat at the same time with eight passengers, went to the assistance of the unfortunate sufferers and succeeded in rescuing two men from their dangerous situation.  They also dragged into the boat the lifeless body of one of the women.  Proceeding in their humane endevours to save others, their own boat being under a pressure of sail, and keeling still more from their reaching over the side, was almost filled with water. Another party of young men immediately pushed off from the Ferry Way, in a third boat, and happily succeeded in saving the ferryman and the whole of his passengers, and also the two young men who were in the first boat.  The remainder, viz. one man, six females and an infant, met a watery grave!
   We are authorised to observe, that Mary Hall, Niece of the late Mrs. Osborne, having succeded to the whole establishment of the Adelphi Hotels, has the intention of of carrying them on with increased attention to the accomodation of those families and friends who have so long frequented them; and that she embraces this opportunity of soliciting a continuance of their kindness and support.

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 87
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 11:23:01 »
I am not sure if this is in the correct section  (or even if it helps ). An email from a friend in Australia

My gg grandfather, Baldwin Richard Duppa HOWE operated King's Ferry, Minster, he and his family lived at the Ferry House. Although I do have ancestors from Harty, John and Ellenor RANDALL (17th & 18th C) and their family, Ann who married John SWIFT of Leysdown; Angelica & Thomas (neither of whom married). I do not know if any of them operated a ferry at Harty.

By the way my website "John Howe's Genealogy" which was hosted by the State Library of Victoria's My Connected Community service (MC2), but they decided to close it down on 30th June. I will have to make a decision if I will upload my data to Ancestry.com or build a new site (I would have to learn how to do that). The ISP I use Bordernet has given me 15 MB of free Web Space which comes with my account, but I don't know how to use it. The MC2 webspace was easy to use, it was just a matter of using proformas and copying and pasting text etc.

Regards
John

The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 14:33:50 »
Being nosey (aren't we all!) where did you get the original info Kyn. I am wondering whether the Faversham Society may help with more.

Dave

I don't know...

Scrap piece of paper floating around my house   :)

seafordpete

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 14:18:41 »
I searched the times under an assortment of options , including "drowned" as well as the places, over  a 2 month span then opened it to 2 years - still nowt!

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 29
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 13:55:38 »
Being nosey (aren't we all!) where did you get the original info Kyn. I am wondering whether the Faversham Society may help with more.

Dave

seafordpete

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 10:12:06 »
Nothing in The Times which is strange as something like that would get a major write up. Plenty of other drownings world wide.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 19:22:17 »
Thanks grandrog, it would be good to find the article, maybe find out where they were buried...

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 103
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 19:19:58 »
Hi Kyn, :)
       There`s info on the web somewhere. I found it ages ago when researching our Marshall ancestors who owned the Harty Ferry and Inn plus the oyster rights all through 1800s until it closed 1940 ish.
      If I remember rightly, the smack in use as a ferry at the time, was swamped and the passengers were all drowned and washed up at various places along the Swale banks. Locals scoured the banks and waters edges to find all the bodies, hence the payment to be shared among them. I hope someone can find the article, I can`t remember where it was and Google isn`t coming up with anything.

Regards Rog.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 12:29:35 »
Just found this:

the distribution of 10 among those who helped to pick up the bodies of the people drowned in the Harty Ferry accident, 12 August 1816;

Any ideas?  Did a search but found nothing on the forum....

BenG

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 18:42:37 »
Thanks for adding the link BenG and the pics, it is a lovely area to spend some time!

No probs Kyn, it is indeed.

yes ben there is the rifle range is still there.

the mounds they used to shoot into are still visible. tis such a lovely place. not sure of a paintball or airsoft site cos it was so quiet when we went. definately another trip there in the summer. backpack and a picnic, even left my mobile so there was no distraction.

OK, I'll have to have a walk up to that and have a look.
Yes its a paintball site, just had a Google
http://www.extrememayhem.net/sites/favasham/index.html
It must be in the disused workings (quarry?)

Chatham_Girl85

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 18:29:05 »
yes ben there is the rifle range is still there.

the mounds they used to shoot into are still visible. tis such a lovely place. not sure of a paintball or airsoft site cos it was so quiet when we went. definately another trip there in the summer. backpack and a picnic, even left my mobile so there was no distraction.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 17:19:45 »
Thanks for adding the link BenG and the pics, it is a lovely area to spend some time!

BenG

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 17:15:17 »
Thanks CG, yes it was nice up there today though I think there must be a paintball / airsoft site nearby has I could hear a lot of shouting and pop,pop,pop,pop.
Didn't quite do 10 miles today only a short walk around.
That looks like a good walk around Luddenham Marshes and Teynham Level and I've just spotted a disused rifle range up near Conyer, wonder if anything is still there?

Chatham_Girl85

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 16:52:22 »
my partner and i done a 10mile walk from Oare Creek all the way around past Uplees Marshes, where the factory blew up in 1914, passed Teynham and through the little forgotten hamlet of Luddesdown.
will do the walk again in the summer no doubt as it is so peaceful. will have to take photos of Luddesdown as its such a quaint and eerie place

10miles. thinkin bout it now. however did i manage it???

but lovely pics BenG!!

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines