News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: HMS Wildfire, Gillingham  (Read 54756 times)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
Re: HMS Wildfire, Gillingham
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2017, 20:32:30 »
Wooden masts above the bunker before development of the land

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2014, 09:15:39 »
Hi WO1RNR, You are correct. I had forgotten that CinC Fleet moved out of Northwood more than ten years ago! How time flies.

Offline WO1RNR

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2014, 19:30:13 »
Bromptonboy
Just one correction to your post below.
The current HMS Wildfire is still a Royal Naval Reserve unit based inside the PJHQ permanent joint headquarters at Northwood.
Fleet HQ Is actually in leach building on whale island Portsmouth.

I believe the HMS Wildfire title was originally assigned to the Royal Naval Gunnery School at Sheerness. The Gunnery School moved to Chatham in the early C20th but the name Wildfire was retained at Sheerness by the Naval Barracks inside the Dockyard. When Sheerness Dockyard was closed, the Nore Command Combined HQ at Chatham was also closed, and so the name HMS Wildfire was transferred to a new Royal Naval Reserve unit based in the former Combined HQ. The name Wildfire is now assigned to the Fleet HQ at Northwood.

To further complicate matters, in wartime when the navy was drastically expanded and more sub-establishments were created, the names of existing bases were used for administrative purposes and so we saw a Wildfire 2, Wildfire 3 and so on, and in similar vein Pembroke 2, 3 and so on.

John38

« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2014, 09:46:21 »
Thanks for that, bromptonboy. It was still operating as 'HMS Wildfire' when I was an apprentice in Sheerness  Dockyard(1954 - 59)

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2014, 08:30:26 »
I believe the HMS Wildfire title was originally assigned to the Royal Naval Gunnery School at Sheerness. The Gunnery School moved to Chatham in the early C20th but the name Wildfire was retained at Sheerness by the Naval Barracks inside the Dockyard. When Sheerness Dockyard was closed, the Nore Command Combined HQ at Chatham was also closed, and so the name HMS Wildfire was transferred to a new Royal Naval Reserve unit based in the former Combined HQ. The name Wildfire is now assigned to the Fleet HQ at Northwood.

To further complicate matters, in wartime when the navy was drastically expanded and more sub-establishments were created, the names of existing bases were used for administrative purposes and so we saw a Wildfire 2, Wildfire 3 and so on, and in similar vein Pembroke 2, 3 and so on.

John38

« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2014, 20:12:20 »
Is HMS Wildfire a general term, because there was one in Sheerness Dockyard?

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2013, 21:55:15 »
Some lovely photos of the tunnels before fire damage can be found here: http://collection.subbrit.org.uk/sbc/main.php?g2_itemId=17

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2013, 07:29:34 »
   Just come across this topic and would like to add that my father was stationed at HMS Wildfire twice during the war "awaiting ship". He was on a number of ships during his time, a lot of them being trawlers converted to minesweepers. Great photos WO1RNR and deserve a "thank you ".

Offline Merv

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2013, 23:50:07 »

This Photograph shows the area today, Former Wildfire. Lower Lines, Admirals Gardens as us locals call it.
Photo taken by Micro light Pilot Paul Wenham at my request.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2012, 21:34:26 »
Thanks AndyK that is about the general area I remembered, but my memory of it was hazy enough to doubt it. The creation of the Admiral's gardens has changed it so much it's hard to remember how it was before (although it is now a very nice park!)
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

AndyK

« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2012, 18:14:36 »
If you click on the grid reference on the following site it will give you the approximate position. In reality it was very slightly further SW than the head of the arrow. http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/sites/w/wildfire/index.shtml

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2012, 12:22:38 »
And another of Keith Gulvin's photo's.

In the post above, I was wondering where this building was actually located - I vaguely remember seeing it, but can't for the life of me remember where. Was it in the area that is now the Admiral's Gardens?
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

AndyK

« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2012, 19:59:43 »
Regarding the photograph of "Admiral's Inspection 1985". The date and the personnel identified are not correct. The CO (right of saluting base) is Cdr (later Capt) Derek Richards - Derek Stoyles didn't have that many medals! John Maitland is correctly identified to the left of the saluting base but he is clearly a Surgeon Commander at that stage (later Surgeon Captain) - brass hat visible. On that basis it puts the picture at some time between 1990 and 1993. see http://www.hmswildfire.org.uk/89-94/5_cos.htm. Many of the pictures in this trail and more can be found on http://www.hmswildfire.org.uk/index.htm. Unfortunately the site is now rather out of date and in particular does not reflect the later years of HMS Wildfire. It is my intention, time allowing, to bring it up to date. Greetings to all ex Wildfires. Andy Kirby

Liamd1

« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2012, 22:10:44 »
My dad who served with wildfire Steve Donovan, is having great fun looking at these memories! He also said hello maggot......

Offline WO1RNR

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2011, 14:50:59 »
In 1989 we were offered the opportunity to be extras in an episode of Poirot "The kidnapped Prime Minister" which was being filmed at Dover Docks, I managed to get a couple of snaps, one has "Hastings" facing and Poirot with his back to us.

The rating on the end in the first pic facing the camera was our PSI (Permanent Staff Instructor) CRS (Chief Radio Supervisor) Sam Macfarlane RN who was the CRS on HMS Coventry when she was sunk in the South Atlantic during the Falklands War, shared some interesting but very serious stories with us of that historial event.

You had to watch carefully not to miss us in the actual episode, oh we got paid 60 for the day each, great fun.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines