News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Darnley Mausoleum  (Read 15434 times)

KeithJG

Re: Darnley Mausoleum
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2015, 18:45:31 »
I used to go to Temple Boys School at Cedar Road Strood in 1959 and in the Autumn use to walk across to the woods after school with friends and that was when the M2 motorway was just a large muddy stretch being built.

We used to go conkering as the trees were huge in Cobham woods and the Mausoleum was just neglected and not damaged then.

Used to played hide & seek by hiding in those long spaces where the coffins used to go. Everything was intact in those days....these vandals should be locked up and the key thrown.

merc

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2015, 12:01:52 »
I went for a walk to the mausoleum the other day. It's open Sundays, April to September (small entrance fee). I see they've taken the big security fence down that used to be around it, leaving just the metal railings. It looks much nicer :)

Offline delver

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2012, 12:52:47 »
Darnley Mausoleum is a fantastic building, although rather odd. It has a lot of Masonic imagery, rather than Christian, this may go some way to explain why it was never consecrated.

The plaster work in the chapel needs to dry out, after which I believe it will be fully transferred to the National Trust for opening.

I know that they plan to open it on Saturdays during the summer season. They will also be looking for volunteers to help open it, I could find out about this if people are interested?

Jon Ireland is the Ranger up here and as mentioned is a very nice chap. He is passionate about the work to restore the woodland up here, it is one of the most important sites for veteran trees in the UK.

The crypt of the mausoleum is very interesting. The architecture forms a natural parabolic reflector, so If you stand in the middle and speak, it is like you shouting back in your own face!

Does anyone have any more detailed information of the murder which occured up there?

These pictures show some of the imagery, the Crypt, original damged stone and general view.

J

merc

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2012, 13:26:12 »
Thanks lasts Samurai  :)

I sometimes go for walks over that way. I've been past the mausoleum many times, but have never been inside.

It's a nice area with interesting history.

lasts samurai

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2012, 13:02:29 »
Hello,
  The opening date has been delayed, due to there still being a problem with the damp inside, and until this is rectified, the National Trust will not take it over.
  The NT Warden has still been clearing and tidying the area, the Mausoleum is now visable from various points as the area around it has been cleared and there is a reception room in the old barn, behind Lodge Cottage (the thatched one at he end of Lodge Lane) this is open most days.
  In the dryer months he has a Charcoal burner area set up as well as other activities.

Kevin, the Warden lives in the thatched cottage, if his NT pickup is there give him a knock, his name is Jonathon and he is very helpful!

I have loads of pics of many parts of the area unseen by most of the visitors and will start a new Topic when i have time to up load them!

I hope this helps answer a few questions!

Geoff B

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 17:01:29 »
Last week.I parked at Lodge Lane by Lodge farm at N51 23 24 E0 24 50.4E on the GPS. There is a car park there.It is a 15 minute walk up the track past the thatched cottage to the mausoleum. it is slightly up hill the last 200 yds. There is a couple of stile swing gates to go through. it maybe better than trying to come over the fields from Cobham Hall. There are two stile gates at Lodge Farm use the path on the right hand one not the left.

If you use ovi maps the postcode is DA12 3

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 21:24:26 »
Is this the one that used to be visable from the A2 or was that a folly?

Paul,

Yes you used to be able to see it from the M2 on the East side as you approached it and looked at about 10 o'clock across the woodland.

kevin payne

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 21:29:12 »
thanks smiler.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 20:24:21 »
Last time I walked to it I parked in Whiteleaves Rd [Close] Cuxton  dont think it was anywhere near 2 miles.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 20:16:54 »
We visited the mausoleum a few years back , it was open during a Cobham Hall school open day.  This was before any restoration was done on it. It was certainly a trek from the school and I can't see how any transport could be arranged for less able people . Looks as though your Father will be out of luck Kevin Payne.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 18:41:37 »
Kevin Payne. There is no vehicular access to it. All cars have to use Shorne Country Park carpark.
It's a 2mile walk from there!

Try asking on 01474 816764   0r cobham@nationaltrust.org.uk
The website says unsuitable for wheelchairs.
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/cobham-wood/facilities-and-access/

mmitch.

Offline ellenkate

• Appreciation 52
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 17:30:58 »

DARNLEY Lord, reference to his park at Cobham in a murder case 1843 (Crime and Criminals in Vict. Kent, by Gray)
--------------------------------------
I'm Lincolnshire born and bred

kevin payne

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 15:08:47 »
Does anyone know wether they lay on transport to the building?,as my disabled father is 78 and walks with two sticks,he grew up in cobham,and he,his sister,and my grandparents worked at cobham hall for lord darnley,so he would dearly love to see the mausoleum but couldnt walk the distance,come to think of it,there must be many elderly that couldnt walk to the place.

seancarter

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 11:12:04 »
The mausoleum *should* be opening to the public sometime in 2012 according to the NT: http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/cobham-wood/

farthingcornerservices

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 15:02:10 »
There is a much larger out ring fence around it.  Hopefully it will keep vandals out

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines