News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Darnley Mausoleum  (Read 15426 times)

Offline ann

• Appreciation 50
Re: Darnley Mausoleum
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 11:35:06 »
according to Towncentric the property has now been conveyed to the National Trust and they do not have an opening date. (whenever I have contacted NT they do not know an opening date)  I still think there is some problem to do with the land/woodland that is to be conveyed with it.  No doubt at some time it will open, but it is a shame that it has been so beautifully restored and is now open to vandalism as it sits empty.

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 09:28:37 »
I believe they do open it occasionally at the moment. There is a National Trust warden that covers several properties in the area. I did hear a couple of months ago that there had been some attempt at vandalism there again.
         This info from a leaflet
' The Mausoleum is situated at Ordnance Survey ref:TQ694684, see
Ordnance Survey Landranger maps 177 and 178 or Explorer map 163
for details.
For details of open days and other events contact CAMS,Towncentric
tourist information in Gravesend (01474 337600), or see local press.'
mmitch.

Offline ann

• Appreciation 50
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 09:07:32 »
It is now a National Trust property although I am not sure if it is jointly owned. with Gravesham Council.  Money was given from the Restoration programme to the Mausoleum.   It should have been open to the public last year but from what I understand there has been lots of problems, to do with the area and woodland surrounding it.

farthingcornerservices

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 23:17:38 »
Is this the one that used to be visable from the A2 or was that a folly?

I don't think you can.

Remember the BBC programme Restoration?  This was featured on it.  Yes I remember the damage to the mausoleum.  Its amazing that they managed to repair it like its brand new.  I have some pictures of it being restored and covered in scaffolding.  Those people lit a fire with petrol cans and tyres.  The whole area used to be a dumping ground for stolen cars.  Much damage has been done to the top soil caused by scrambler motor bikes.  In places its just gravel.  Many trees have gone and a lot of work is required to get it back to its original state.  I hope they have good security there now.

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 12:13:47 »
Is this the one that used to be visable from the A2 or was that a folly?
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

Offline rossco

• Appreciation 7
Darnley Mausoleum
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 17:40:13 »
A quick intro I've cobbled together:

The Darnley Mausoleum is a Grade 1 listed building standing on Williams Hill in Cobham Park, Cobham, between Strood and Gravesend.

John Bligh, the 3rd Earl of Darnley left instruction in his will for the construction of the Mausoleum, specifying a square stone structure with a prominent pyramid surrounded by a dry moat.
At the 3rd Earl's death the architect James Wyatt was comissioned to design the Mausoleum which was built under the supervision of George Dance the younger, completing the work in 1786 at a cost of 9000.

Unfortunately in more recent years the Mausoleum fell into disrepair and became a target for vandals. Though in 2001, with funding from Cobham Ashenbank Management Scheme the Mausoleum and surrounding woodland was purchased by Gravesham Borough Council. With help from a 4.9m Heritage Lottery Fund grant extensive restoration work has since been undertaken.

Here's a link to a the Gravesham Council webpage on it: http://www.gravesham.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=573 There's a good leaflet on there too with loads more info and history about the place, including why it was never used for burials.

A couple of pics from earlier today...

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines