News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Southern Water Emergency Bunker, Chatham  (Read 10958 times)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
Re: Southern Water Emergency Bunker, Chatham
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 20:55:55 »
Farthing Corner

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 20:41:50 »
Where is it Kyn?

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 21:29:50 »
With my new found freedom and my lovely little car I popped out to have a quick look at this bunker.  It has been quite a few years since my previous visit and I was disappointed to find that everything inside has now been stripped out and the bunker is empty.  I shouldn't have been surprised and the items would have been destroyed by now if they still remained.

Entrance

Air lock

Shower in decontamination area

Engine room

Air filtration room?

Various rooms

Toilets

Control Room and escape exit

Looking back towards the entrance from the control room

Looking up towards the entrance

Looking out of the entrance

merc

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 18:33:56 »
Some photo's from a little while ago.

Offline Jason

• Appreciation 8
    • Historic Medway
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 06:06:49 »
It's got its own report over at Sub Brit:

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/sites/c/chatham_southern_water_ec/index.html

These bunkers always fascinated me - the idea that there are all these (fairly) secret buildings around waiting for (more-or-less) the end of the world.

It's being so optimistic that keeps me going :)

medwayboy

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 14:30:27 »
It's not far from Farthing corner just off Matts Hill Road

This was on the floor at the front gate....

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 09:56:30 »
Couple of pics, they are not very good but hopefully someone else will add some more....

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
Southern Water Emergency Bunker, Chatham
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 23:38:58 »
During the 1980's three emergency control centre's were built for southern water, one in Chatham was built into a disused covered reservoir.  It was never fitted out or used.

As you approach the bunker two ventilation towers are visible on top of the earth mound covering the bunker, to the north is the main entrance, which is recessed and to the south is a manhole cover which gives access to the emergency exit.

A wooden door that leads to a short flight of stairs is the main access to the bunker, at the bottom of the stairs is a concrete and steel blast door.  This door leads into the decontamination room that has a shower in a corner, there is a blast door to the left that leads to the standby generator room.  In this room are the generator, fuel tank and a small room accessed by a small blast door that holds the filters that still remain in place.  

Back in the decontamination room there is another concrete and steel blast door, this leads into the airlock.  Through the airlock is the ventilation plant room, this has another small door leading to the one of the ventilation shafts that still has filters in place.  

Between the ventilation plant room and the airlock is a corridor, two doors to the left lead to a store room and the dormitory which has 9 lights on the wall, these lights would be above each bed and all have pull strings attached.  To the right of the corridor is a further two rooms, one leads to the toilets, the chemical toilets are still in place as are the soap dispensers.  The second door leads to the kitchen area, in here two water tanks, a stainless steel sink, soap dispensers and cupboards can be found.  

At the end of the corridor is the control room, here you can see the markings on the floor where the faraday cage was.  There is a cupboard and remains of a sofa and a small blast door in this room.  The blast door leads to the emergency escape shaft where there should have been a ladder.  The ladder was never added.

Pics to follow...

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines