News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Shoulder of Mutton Battery, Dover  (Read 9273 times)

Offline col

• Appreciation 3
    • Subterranean History
Re: Shoulder of Mutton Battery, Dover
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 19:33:27 »
It's interesting that the plan shows three casemates in the counterscarp wall opposite the bastion, it used to be possible to see the gun ports of this when entering the castle, but it seems to be overgrown now.

Offline david

• Appreciation 13
    • Victorian Forts and Artillery
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 11:15:27 »
A great plan JohnG. That explains the layout perfectly, with the lower gun emplacement no.5 beyond the tunnel.
We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is com

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 16:59:45 »
I thought I would post a plan of the whole battery just out of interest.  There were five gun enplacements in total. JohnG

JohnG

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 14:28:38 »
Another interesting article islesy.I remember that tunnel and the cliffs we called the 'Redsands'.Never really explored the battery though.

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
    • National Three Peaks Challenge 2012, raising funds for Help for Heroes
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 10:23:11 »
Copy of a lithographic print produced for A.H Pointer's 'Royal Album of Dover & District' depicting Shoulder of Mutton Battery and the view over the town. This may well be the only contemporary view of the Battery.

Reproduced in full sized glory here, feel free to copy (no copyrights apply).

Three Peaks Challenge 2012 - raising funds for Help for Heroes
www.bmycharity.com/Islesy

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 22:21:29 »
Really needed to find out where the tunnel went, so took the hard route over the top ;) Once over the top, no bricks ;D

Wandering down to a very overgrown Gun Pit 5, the view was fantastic

Still a few blocked up doorways etc, I'd really like to find out more about this part of the battery and Tudor Bastion that is on the opposite side of the Moat.

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 18:00:55 »
Thanks David. *Unfairytale throws his Dover castle books in the bin*.  :-[
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline david

• Appreciation 13
    • Victorian Forts and Artillery
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 17:56:02 »
The battery is mentioned in a report of February 1851, with 5 x 32pdrs but was completely reconstructed 1871-74 for RMLs.
In 1886 the Royal Artillery and Royal Engineers Works Committee recommended that the two 9-inch RMLs should be adapted for high-angle fire, and a table of armaments in 1887 showed highangle mountings approved. An 1892 table of armaments shows the two 9-inch RMLs as being 'For long range' but in 1893 the long-range mountings were still awaited and a note reads 'No provision yet made for works.' The Works Committee reported in 1893 that a new cartridge store was under construction. By this time the battery was, at best, obsolescent and all the Dover RML batteries were rendered obsolete and unnecessary by the BL batteries built at the Citadel and Langdon Cliffs at the turn of the century. By 1903 the five guns at Shoulder of Mutton battery had been replaced by twoQuick Fire guns for defence of the inner harbour

My fact sheet on it can be found here:
http://www.palmerstonforts.org.uk/pdf/dover/shoulder.pdf

I should find the time to update it!
We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is com

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 20:59:59 »
Great pics -

Photo 5 is an Ordnance Survey Datum Mark. Often seen on churches.

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
Shoulder of Mutton Battery, Dover
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 20:06:31 »
Amazing what you can achieve over a lunchtime  :D

Took a look here back in late Autumn 2008 at this very overgrown battery position barely a stones throw from the centre of Dover. Not much seems to have been written about this battery, it's a very similar construction to East Demi but with two main gun positions flanked by two smaller gun positions. It's situated on the western spur and would have commanded a field of fire across the main inner harbour and along the beach.  It's unbelievable that EH haven't developed this site as it's the nearest part of the castle to the town, I couldn't believe how big an area it covered, I thought that it was only a couple of blockhouses but now I've decided that I'm gonna apply to become EH's brickie, as everything that can be bricked up has been!

I noticed a dumper truck in there yesterday, and again today and following a text from Ali telling me chaps were roping down the cliffs I decided to investigate. Wandering up to the battery, I met some lads from High Peak Access services taking their lunchbreak. We chatted for a while - turns out that they were putting netting in place on the cliffs to prevent further rock falls, the advantage in this being that the vegetation had been cleared back from the cliff edge giving a clear view as the gunners would have.

Still, here are the pics:

This tunnel appears to go through to the Western Ditch

I reckon this is either the main ammunition store, or a cartridge store

Issuing Hatch (as long as you're a short bleep!)

I think this is a War Department marking

Footholds have been incorporated into the walls

And handrails! Could this be early Victorian Health & Safety Regs?

Steps leading down into the battery area

Cartridge Stores/Magazines are beside each gun position

Managed to poke my hand in a couple of holes in the walls. The coat hooks are still on the walls and the limewash looks in good nick as well

Lots of angled ventilation shafts in the walls, along with windows that would have let natural light into the magazine. The vertical gap seems to seperate the main body of the magazine from the blast wall protecting the doorway.

All the gun positions are severely overgrown, (like the rest of the site), but the handrails are still in place, as well
as mounting fixtures

And my favourite - the rusty ring  ;)

View today from No.3 Gun position giving a great view of Mote's Bulwark

And a view the opposite way from No.2 Gun

God, what a great picnic site this would make! Finally, a plan of the battery

Anyone have anything to add to this? All contributions welcome!

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines