News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dockyard Churches, Sheerness  (Read 33029 times)

busyglen

Re: Dockyard Churches, Sheerness
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 19:16:31 »
Thanks for all of that information.

I really loved that Church as we regularly went there when I was a child.  My father was employed by the RN at the Dockyard, and our family frequently worshipped there.  My three brothers were in the choir, and around that time, Mr. Brightman was the organist.  It had such a lovely atmosphere, and on Mothering Sunday, us children used to go and collect a spray of violets from the Chaplain to give to our mother.  At Christmas, they used to put on a Nativity Scene, and my brothers often acted in it.

My sister got married there on Boxing Day, 1950.

It was such a shame that it was built the wrong way round (Altar not facing the East) as I think it might have been taken over by another Church after the Dockyard Closed.

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 236
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 19:47:15 »
Sheerness Dockyard chapels and churches.
Based on and with extracts from, an article by the Rev H W Millett, chaplain of the Dockyard, Sheerness Guardian May 8 1886.
 Prior to the first chapel being built, a "church ship" was used for worship.
First or gateway chapel
 Probably opened on 1st Jan 1690.
Built over the archway between the dockyard and the garrison.
"It was an edifice of imposing appearance, and with many pretentions to ecclesiastical architecture. Brickbuilt, roofed with slate, gable-ended, with one large central window flanked by two smaller ones on the west side, overlooking the dockyard, and three on the sides facing north and south, it was an ample place of worship and accommodated a congregation of several hundreds".
In 1718, the congregation having increased, an extension was added to the chapel.
 Unfortunately,"The new portion not having been built on a foundation equally firm and settled with that of the chapel itself, the brickwork gradually separated till it became startling evident that the "house divided against itself could not stand." it will surprise no one, therefore, to learn that at the end of nineteen years, "by cracks in the sides of it,  from two to three inches in bredth, and that by the seperation of its parts, the joysts in the front wall were drawn near three inches out, that the bricks which fell from the cracks over the doors, endangered the lives of the people, that went into it, and that by its cracking or shocking, at times, when people were in it, it gave such warning that they did not think it safe to be therein."
 The chapel was abandoned in 1737, and a sail loft set aside for the congregation.
Second archway chapel.
 In 1743 the gateway and chapel were pulled down and rebuilt, the new chapel opening in 1744.
Unfortunately, the foundations began to sink and in 1805 the congregation had deserted it and had taken refuge in a room over the master attendants office. In 1815 the second gateway chapel was demolished.
The third chapel/church.
 Built some 350ft to the north of where the Bluetown heritage centre now stands. This building, "roomy and well built with excellent appointments" was opened in 1814. Unfortunately it got in the way of the dockyard expansion and in 1820, it was decided to remove it, the building remaining in use till the new church was opened in 1828.
Forth church
This was built at the eastern end of the yard. it was partly destroyed by fire on the 26th Nov 1881, during a heavy gale, see previous posts.
The 4 outer walls and the tower remained (rather like now) and these were incorporated into the new building which opened on whit-sunday May 24th 1885.
The Rev H W Millett, writing in 1886 notes,"Of the interior fittings, 2 are worthy of special notice, a beautiful marble font, which has a counterpart in Greenwich hospital, and a brass eagle lectern, presented by the officers and ships company of HMS Tourmaline on paying off, as a memorial to their shipmates who died during her late cruise".
Cable Street The Young'uns

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 22:43:34 »
Well spotted HERB C  and thanks for that, I wonder if they are those from 1886? certainly sounds like it mentioning Sudan, and are they still in there. Next time I visit the area I shall have to check that out.SB

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 236
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 20:14:07 »
17 memorials from Sheerness Dockyard Church were moved to Chatham Dockyard Church in 1966, see,
http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=1298.0
Cable Street The Young'uns

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 13:00:17 »
http://www.sheppeywebsite.co.uk/index.php?id=115

"In 1884 the nearby Dockyard Church was ravaged by fire, it was later refurbished - however this church was closed in 1970 and when this happened the altar and some wooden panelling were moved to Holy Trinity Church, which you can still see today."

I'm not sure what else they were given or if anything was sent to other churches.

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 11:20:57 »
Just had a quick look round the net and found out that there were two fires at the Dockyard Church. One before this work was done and another in 1888. So was the Church totally destroyed by this fire or did certain bits remain? Are the brass tablets still in the current Church I wonder and were the stained windows retained or used elsewhere?

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 10:55:54 »
Now do I put this here, in Religion or in the section on Sheerness docks? Anyway..here is an article from Sheppey church magazine for 1886 in the 'Dockyard Church' section..I wonder what has happened to it all?

The Royal Navy Bazaar which took place in Sheerness on the 29th and 30th in aid of the funds for erecting the egyptian memorial in the Dockyard Chapel, was so successful that the committee are now possessed of means sufficient to meet all the expenses of the undertaking. From first to last, the movement has met with warm sympathy and support, not only on account of its subject being to perpetuate the names of men who perished under circumstances of more than ordinary heroism, but also because no other effort has yet been made in any part of the Kingdom, so far as we know, to preserve those good men and true from oblivion. All branches of the Naval and marine services have contributed to the work, and donations have been sent from every part of the world. The memorial will consist of a beautifully designed stained glass chancel window, giving three seperate pictures of our Lord in connection with the sea of Galilee, and two handsome brass tablets, on which will be engraved the name of every man who lost his life before the enemy, or died of wounds received in action. The work, which has been in hand some months, is being executed with much care and skill, and according to present arrangements, will be set up and inaugurated by a special service some time during the month of July. The inhabitants of Sheerness, recognizing the national character of the enterpise, have assisted most liberally in promoting its success, and in a short time they will possess what will, very likely, be the only collective Egyptian and Soudanese memorial in England, and certainly a monument of unfailing interest for the time to come.

Chatham_Girl85

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 14:32:57 »

Chatham_Girl85

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 14:31:15 »
Just searched for info on the fire and found this from sheppeybits on a freewebs page

1881 November 26th. (Reported again in 1918 February 23rd),
The H.M.Dockyard church caught fire. Mr. H. Chandler, a Metropolitan Policeman was on duty. A gale was raging at the time. An hour or two before the outbreak of the fire the streets were almost deserted. A vessel was ashore on the Red Sands with men clinging to the rigging. The fire was possibly started by the heating apparatus, some sparks were blown under the slates and ignited the material there about 8.30 or 9pm. The Dockyard Chapel as it was called was on fire. The parapet crashed down at 11pm burying four men, one a Pembroke Marsnew was crushed to death. The church was built by Nicholson in 1824 but did not open until 1829. Prior to this the church was situated on the left hand side of the new road, a thoroughfare from the High Street of Bluetown from opposite where the Red Lion stands to Sheerness Garrison. This was before the massive brick wall which costs 50,000 was built to enclose the Dockyard from Rats Bay to Naval Terrace and from the Church to the Gun Wharf. The present church is either the fourth or fifth which has been built in connection with the Dockyard. One church was over the Dockyard gates. There was also a Church Ship berthed near the Cornwallis Jetty approached by a long gangway. In the church today is an altar of one of the former Dockyard Churches dated 1744.

Will look for more

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 14:13:06 »
During the 1881 fire two people died, wonder who they were and where they were buried  ???

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
Dockyard Churches, Sheerness
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 19:47:56 »
I took these last year -

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines