News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Catholic Church in (Garden Street) Brompton  (Read 2833 times)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
Re: Catholic Church in (Garden Street) Brompton
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 16:06:44 »
It looks like planning permission has been granted for converting this building (St.Paulinus) into apartments.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
Catholic Church in (Garden Street) Brompton
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 17:24:13 »
I was talking to a local landlady today who like me is interested in the history of Brompton.  She was telling me that one of her old regulars (now deceased unfortunately) told her of a Roman Catholic Church on the corner of Garden St & Manor St about where the modern Nos. 8-14 are built (just above the 'GAR' of Garden Street in the 1938 map below.)

There is now a Roman Catholic church in Manor Street (No 27 I think).  In the 1881 census this was the site of the Wesleyan Chapel (then between nos 27 & 29), but as I understand it that was replaced by the Wesleyan Church in Prospect Row in 1892.  I'm assuming it is around this time the current Roman Catholic Church took over the site of the former Wesleyan chapel (today it looks far more like a Wesleyan Chapel than the R.C. Church it is but I have no idea if this was the original chapel building.)

St Paulinus R.C. Church, Manor Street 2010

I have heard there was an earlier R.C. Church in Brompton, so the position suggested might represent this, but the maps I've seen don't show anything exactly in this location.  Until around the late 1880s or 90s Manor Street was a cul-de-sac and Garden Street ran unbroken on that side from the High Street to Mansion Row, although there were a couple of 'courts' (Hewitt Court between No 10 & 12 and Miller's Court between Nos 18 and 20).  Locating these is hard since all the current buildings between No 6 and No 22 were erected at various times in the 20th century.

I have noticed that on the maps Military & Church buildings are shown in solid black.  On the 3 later maps below the church (Wesleyan then R.C.) halfway down Manor Street is shown.  There is also a second black building nearer Garden Street, between Manor Street and the High Street. The 1898 map (and another I have from 1922 showing the edge of this building) show it as a school, but it did occur to me that it may have been the original R.C. Church converted into a school when the church took over the Wesleyan site.  If this is the case, maybe the old pub patron's recollections were close, but just a little out on the exact location.

Does anyone have any more information/memories to clarify this?

1897* & 1898

*The date on the map seems to be 1897, but I think this may be wrong as several things are not shown that were built in the early 1890s, so I think a date 10 (or more) years earlier may be more accurate

1909 & 1938

=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines