News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Eastwell Church  (Read 16185 times)

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
Re: Eastwell Church
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 01:54:48 »
Glad you found the book. I got mine at Bybrook Garden centre some time ago now. If you ever get the chance to get to the V&A, have a look at the removed memorials, which are in the east end of the main sculpture gallery. They are some of the best specimens around and whilst it would have been lovely to have seen them in situ in the church at least they are well cared for where they are - and the V&A don't house any old tat!

Philio81

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 17:40:07 »
It`s just north of Kennington in Ashford. Here`s a google earth overview of it to help you locate where it is  ;D. Got a copy of the Eastwell Park Historiette, fascinating read. It`s a shame Philip Dormer died before the book got published  :(. It says a fair bit of damage was caused by blasting during training in early 1943 and this caused plaster to fall off walls and doors to burst open due to pressure waves!!! and they didn't bother fixing this. Such a shame, cheers for the heads up on this book. Wonder if they would have built the lake if they knew that one day it would finally cause the church to collapse  :'(

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 16:49:26 »
The hole shown in the last photo look like where the rope for the bells came through.

Where is the church?

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 21:50:23 »
It does seem to be a common misconception and I think gets confused with nearby St Mary's at Little Chart which was destroyed by a V1 flying bomb. Eastwell Park Historiette by Philip Dormer details the history of the estate and is a fascinating read. It details the account regarding the church too.

Philio81

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 14:53:02 »
Am going of what what I found on the net and what I was told by my dad when we used to go there when I was young. I`ve never heard of what you wrote there, Riding With The Angels. but it seems you have looked into this more than I. Be interested to find out.

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 23:46:11 »
Philio - where is your evidence for this statement? I am seeing this more and more and the only sources I have suggest that although it may have been weakend by the tank activity in the park during the war (see other links), it collapsed in the '50's from saturation of its chalk block structure likely to have been caused by the construction of the lake in the 1800's so close to the church.

Dave

Philio81

Eastwell Church
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 17:47:29 »
This Church was Bomb Damaged in WW2 and left to Decay here`s some photos

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines