News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sarre  (Read 5609 times)

KeithJG

Re: Sarre
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 12:31:32 »
Just for some information:  When I lived in Birchington, Thanet, one of my good friends used to invite me around to dinner at his family home in Broadstairs.

Of course discussions get under way and his Mother`s side of the family use to live in the house which was taken over during WW2 and used as a headquarters.

We know it was used as a headquarters but we don`t know why it was chosen?

My friends Mother`s family lost the house for good and there was no recompense at all, maybe it was because they were of German descent?

Any views on this?

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 15:54:08 »
Very curious about the view marked Sarre corner. Would a strong magnifier reveal any of the registration marks of the buses and the charabanc? Sarre was certainly used as a comfort stop on coach journeys in earlier motor coach years but the gathering of so many single-deck buses at one time is an oddity.

Offline ellenkate

• Appreciation 52
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 16:51:59 »
Does anyone know the date of this photo of the King's Head?

--------------------------------------
I'm Lincolnshire born and bred

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 11:56:01 »
As you rightly say Sarre Court was used as a headquarters building during ww2, but you need to be aware most of the present day building is new, as is usual with Thanet property developers the old building sort of caught fire, whoops.

Offline BenG

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 11:03:55 »
Some old photos of Sarre:

Offline BenG

• Appreciation 3
Sarre
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 13:42:37 »
Had a bit of a wander around Sarre village this lunchtime so thought I'd post a few bits.

The windmill:

Sarre Court, used at differnet times as the Army HQ for 128, 131 & 198 Infantry Brigades

Gateway into the grounds:

The Crown Inn or Cherry Brandy House:

The Kings Head Inn apperently has blocked up tunnels in its cellars which is said to have been a centre of communications and may be related to the underground brigade battle HQ nearby and WW2 soldiers' letters have been found in the pub.
There is a sign on an outer wall that reads 'Pay Office' with an arrow pointing into the courtyard.

This house near the pub is said to have been a defended position along with possibly the pub.

Mile Stone:

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines