Kent History Forum

News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 6th Thanet home guard  (Read 9408 times)

Offline alysloper

• Appreciation 7
Re: 6th Thanet home guard
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2016, 15:37:59 »
The Home Guard HQ in Sarre - 'The Crown' PH

cliveh

These pics are excellent - thanks for posting them. Would you have any other information about the Home Guard organisation or duties - I am putting some information into a booklet about Thanet's Home Guard. Can I include these? if so, perhaps you have a higher resolution scan of them?

Thanks

Ian

Offline simonmallett

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2016, 20:35:22 »
I have attached images showing the 6th Thanet Home Guard parading outside the Crown Inn,Sarre. My Great Grandfather (Clements) was either an NCO or Officer (most likely Officer)  in this Company and family history has him being responsible for "forgetting" about the explosives hidden within the bridge at Sarre. My (step) Grandfather, John Hall was a Landlord at the Crown Inn with his wife Lillian, I believe during the 1950s. My father Peter was an active member of the Margate Home Guard Rifle Club.

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 12:03:35 »
The Home Guard HQ in Sarre - 'The Crown' PH

cliveh

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 19:05:26 »
The bridge at Plucks Gutter was cleared of explosives twice, once when they were laying a pipeline alongside it, and the second time when the bridge was being rebuilt.

Monkton Malc

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 18:25:57 »
I think that all the bridges in the area were "wired". I remember the road bridge at Sarre a few years back when it was being widened. One minute there was a digger on it with a drill chipping away at it, the next the road was closed and the bomb squad were removing 400 lbs of explosive from it.
I was told there was a similar thing with the replacement of the bridge over the river at Plucks Gutter.

It must have been a temporary bridge allowing access over to the Ash side where there was a decoy airfield (see http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=3086.0 )

Offline alysloper

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 13:26:06 »
Malc

I asked about the bridge as is it mentioned in a little booklet called "Minster Remembered" from 1987. It includes the story of an (unfortunately) anonymous Minster HG vet who describes it as being wired up with charges to demolish it in case of an invasion in 1940 (I think - the actual account is not terribly lucid)

I do have the list of "Auxiliariy" HG units - very helpfully posted on this forum.

Thanks

"Be seeing you" - I note you are interested in the Prisoner?
Ian

Monkton Malc

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 15:38:05 »
Hi alysloper,

regarding the bridge behind the water treatment works at Minster, I have never seen anything of one there.
The bridges that cross the river at one time had to be of a certain height above high water, but I don't know what this measurement was. I think this was to allow the passage of barges upto Fordwich.
The only bridge that I know of at Minster is the railway one near the power station, the next one upstream being at Plucks Gutter. Grove Ferry didn't have a bridge until the 60's.

I don't know of any home guard vetrans in Minster, the only two that I knew were my grandfather Charles Laker a
nd George Marriott who used to have a scrap yard in Ramsgate (both now deceased).
I did once see a list that John V had put on the forum listing members of 12 group signals home guard (the assasins and saboteurs) that did include local farmers and landowners. I would imagine that you could see this at the national archives at Kew.

Please feel free to use the pictures of my grandfather.

MM

Offline alysloper

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 13:10:35 »
Malcolm

I have just been down to look at the river behind the water treatment works in Marsh Farm lane Minster. I was actually looking for a bridge which I gather was there in WW2 - I guess it's long gone? I read that Minster & Richborough Marshes were used for Home Guard weapons firing practice in WW2. Do you know of any HG veterans in Minster, as I am trying to put together some information on 6th (Thanet) Home Guard? In that connection, would you mind if I included the 2 photos of your Grandfather which you have posted on this forum? I have no idea whether anyone else will ever want to look at the booklet I am compiling so I don't pl
an to publish it as such.

Regards
Ian

Offline alysloper

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 09:39:16 »
Malcolm

Would you have any more info about your Grandfather or 6th Thanet in general? Can you give me his name?

I did wonder about putting together some sort of booklet about 6th Thanet.....

thanks
Ian

Monkton Malc

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 18:58:34 »
Many thanks for the information - I might take a trip out to Minnis Bay sometime. When ploughing at Richborough have you found anything else of interest? Apart from the Romans, no doubt you are aware that there was a large establishment around there in WW1 - Richborough Port?

I wonder where the 20mm came from - unless it was from a stricken aircraft? Did you keep them?

Ian

Only had a few live rounds and once they had been through a power harrow they split along the case. Didn't keep them just left them in the bottom of the dyke.r />I have got the carbon rod from an arc light that I found down on one of the marshes at Minster (in Thanet). That came from somewhere just the other side of the railway line .

Malcolm.

Offline alysloper

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 09:43:57 »
Many thanks for the information - I might take a trip out to Minnis Bay sometime. When ploughing at Richborough have you found anything else of interest? Apart from the Romans, no doubt you are aware that there was a large establishment around there in WW1 - Richborough Port?

I wonder where the 20mm came from - unless it was from a stricken aircraft? Did you keep them?

Ian

Monkton Malc

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 16:59:07 »
I was told the same about 6th Thanet.

Where exactly are the butts at Minnis Bay? Any .303" or .300" cases around?
I would appreciate seeing any other info or photos that you find
thanks

Ian

You probably wouldn't find cases around the butts area, only very distorted bits of lead.

The cases you might find anywhere around the firing points but doubtful due to ploughing over the years. Saying that, I have found live 20mm rounds on the marshes near the windmill by Richborough power station (while I was plo
ughing)..

Offline BenG

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 09:06:45 »

Offline alysloper

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 08:50:05 »
I was told the same about 6th Thanet.

Where exactly are the butts at Minnis Bay? Any .303" or .300" cases around?
I would appreciate seeing any other info or photos that you find
thanks

Ian

Monkton Malc

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 22:07:34 »
I used to be a member of the 6th Thanet Rifle & Pistol Club.

I was told that they took their name (and badge) from the 6th Thanet home guard. The range that we used to use was in a chalk pit at Netherhale near Birchington, not a million miles away from the rifle butts that you can see down at Minnis Bay.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines