News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Graveney Marsh  (Read 5996 times)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
Re: Graveney Marsh
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 23:29:54 »
Cleve Hill in the 1960's.  Two of the pill boxes still survive according to Google Earth.

Offline cptpies

• Appreciation 5
    • Extended Defence of Britain Overlay for Google Earth
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 10:34:24 »
What a fantastic and informative article. The Harty Ferry control bunker is still extant and the Cleve marshes one was until quite recently. Unfortunately it was either buried or demolished during the building of the new national grid sub station there, despite specifically being protected in the original planning documentation.
Get my Defence of Britain Overlay for GE here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v5e9iyg1n1q367r/hS4-ddBEb_

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 19:39:33 »
Welcome along :)  You have been one of a few people I had hoped would find us eventually and maybe even meet.  The article above, as with others posted, somehow made it into the hands of Barry Stewart, the owner of the website Underground Kent who kindly lent them to me.  They are at present residing with Keith Gulvin until he eventually returns them to me, and then I return them to Barry.  It shows how popular these articles still are, still being passed around!

If you don't manage to print it out I will eventually be able to arrange to send you a copy, just let me know.

I hope we see some further posts from you!

Offline RonC

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 14:12:46 »
Dear All
I was the author of this and other articles which appear on the Forum. As one mentioned, this was produced way back before the internet, though it has the merit of being told to me by one who served at the site, SH1 or SH2 from memory. The funny thing is that my son (an accredited historical author - Terry Crowdy) mentions in the forward to "Deceiving Hitler" that the inspiration for this book came from his father (me) who had told him all about an article he had written about a decoy site for Sheerness Dockyard. Nothing so strange about that except that the gentleman who relayed the story to me was one Percy Ronald Payne who just happened to be the great uncle of his wife Sarah. I had lost the actual article  I wrote all those years ago but had promised the family that I would try to track it down. Now I have found it posted on the website (recently joined) - what an unexpected joy - Thank You.
All I have to do now is try and print it out, but that should give me endless fun ;-
Best Regards, Ron.

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 22:06:00 »
Naval Bombing Decoy N12/VI2
A Second World War bombing decoy located at Harty Ferry. It was built as part of the 'N-series' of naval decoys to deflect enemy bombing from Chatham Dockyard. This was a 'QF' decoy, which consisted of a series of controlled fires lit during an air raid to replicate a target struck by bombs. It is referenced as being in use between August 1941 and March 1942, but could have been active throughout the rest of the war. Aerial photos from 1978 show that no features of the decoy survive.
http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1459696

Naval Bombing Decoy N12/SH1
The Second World War Naval Bombing Decoy N12/SH1A at Cleve Marshes, Graveney, was commissioned in March 1941 as a QL' decoy for Sheerness dockyard. It was redesignated as a 'Starfish' (SF(Special Fire)) decoy in October 1941.
'Starfish' decoys operated by setting alight a series of controlled fires during an air raid to replicate a military or urban area targeted by bombs. 'QL' decoys comprised a grid of muted lights set out, often around ponds or tanks of water to resemble a dockyard during a blackout. The site is referenced as being in use between 1941 and 1942 and was released from requisition in June 1945. In 2009 the semi-sunken operation post and generator room was archaeologically recorded prior to its demolition in advance of the construction of an onshore substation for the London Array windfarm.
http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1459700

Documentary records held by the National Archives indicate that Cleve Marsh was selected by the Royal Navy in March 1941 as the location for a 'Starfish' decoy site, designed to divert enemy bombers from attacking the Royal Navy Dockyard at Sheerness, by use of controlled fires and lighting effects designed to simulate the target site at night. This decoy apparatus was operated during air raids from the semi-sunken operation post, which also accommodated the 10 KW Petter generator used to produce current for the lighting effect units and the ignition circuits. The operation post was built during the spring/summer of 1941 and remained operational until the entire site was decommissioned in June 1945.
From Pre-construct Archaelogy Ltd, 2009.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
Graveney Marsh
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 18:05:27 »
Here is a description of the decoy airfield sited at Graveney Marsh near Sittingbourne:

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines