News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TF1, the Richborough Train Ferry  (Read 10592 times)

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
Re: TF1, the Richborough Train Ferry
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 09:24:59 »
The Guns were only part loaded at Port Richborough. The Barrels were loaded at the Port, then the ferries sailed to Chatham where the rest of the gun cradles were loaded.
The three train ferries could be loaded in less than twenty minutes, and ran at all states of the tide.
When first built they were oil fired, after being sold at the end of the war they were converted to run on coal.

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
  • "Oh, sod it; the bloody thing’s stuck again"
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 00:45:59 »
I found this on the internet, but I can't remember where...

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 21:21:01 »
Here's a couple of photos of the Train Ferry, aptly named TF1 leaving port Richborough sometime in 1916.

(From the book- Millitary railways in Kent)
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Monkton Malc

TF1, the Richborough Train Ferry
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 23:59:59 »
Hi everyone,

I was looking through my various pictures, books, etc. and came across a small book, "The Romance of Richborough" by Lewis Shandel. I think it came from my grandparents house and is dated 1921.

Apart from 25 pages of text and some old adverts, it has a picture of the train ferry in it, so I thought I would share it with you.

Three of these ferries were built. They had a length of 363ft, a 61ft beam and a draught of less than 10ft. They displaced 3654 tons and had a speed of 16 knots (18.4 mph). They had 4 lines of rails and could carry 54 standard 10 ton waggons. The average load carried was 900 tons.
Even heavy locomotives and  four 14" guns weighing 302 tons each were safely carried to France.

The train ferry scheme was brought before the war cabinet in January 1917 and approved. It was almost a year before the first ferries started running to Calais and Dunkirk. In the year that they were running, they made 270 trips across the channel.

The wharf was also loading barges bound for the continent. In two years the managed to export 1,257,545 tons. The best day they had was when they sent away 6374 tons in 24 hours.

I am sure that lurking somewhere I have a picture of the cranes working.

Malcolm.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines