News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Cliffe Airfield Decoy Building,Cliffe Marshes  (Read 9568 times)

Offline gardener

• Appreciation 3
Re: Cliffe Airfield Decoy Building,Cliffe Marshes
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 00:02:43 »
The lights for the airfield were placed on the jetty in the river, a good read is "The Thames" by Alan Herbert who served at Cliffe Fort during the Second World War. My mum lived at the Coastguards and remembered the cardboard aeroplanes delivered and put in strategic positions on the marsh. Of course it rained and they dissolved. The marsh was criss crossed with wires to prevent gliders landing and the bunker had a barrage ballon on top. It is interesting that the Luftwaffe were aware that the Royal Engineers were using the old explosive works to store ammunition for the guns at the Coastguards.

The guns were hidden under netting but on first firing sunk so were removed to be used elsewhere where the ground could take the impact. In the marsh, but hidden, is the old WD number and the anti tank ditch is clearly visible. The concrete fence posts I have always been told were the fence of the factory I don't know if it is true but it seems to be visible on a pre war photograph.

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 224
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 22:46:01 »
Airfield bombing decoy Q96A

A Second World War bombing decoy at Cliffe Marshes that was built to deflect enemy bombing from RAF Gravesend. This was a 'Q-type' night decoy, which displayed a series of lights to simulate an active airfield. It is referenced as being in use from August 1941 to August 1942. A concrete bunker survives on this site.

During the Second World War a bombing decoy site was established on Cliffe Marshes on the site of a former explosives factory. On the former explosives factory site a row of paired concrete posts may represent an element of the decoy measures to simulate a working airfield, possibly arranged to support a row of moving lights.
A control bunker for the decoy survives off site, to the south of Boatrick House.

For more information see http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1075527
Bunker http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1442268

A further bombing decoy for RAF Gravesend was located at Luddesdown http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=12169.0
I Wish It Would Rain The Temptations

mao10

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 13:15:06 »
Just popped into the Towncentric office at Gravesend who have a good selection of books on local Gravesend history. A new pamphlet out covers the subject of decoy airfields for RAF Gravesend and it confirms that two were built, one at Cliffe as described above and indeed the one at Cuxton (in this book it states it is at Luddesdown) was specifically for Gravesend. It reads that the one at Luddesdown/Cuxton is in such good condition that application has been made to the Imperial War Museum for recording and listing.

mao10

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 18:13:15 »
Many thanks Rossco.

It was interesting to see some comments on your forum re the Old explosives works. When i was Looking through the photos I did wonder if they had played a part in the decoy airfield set up. From the aerial photo some of those buildings could be seen as hangars or barrack blocks. Do you know when the Explosives works closed?

Mike

Offline rossco

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 17:01:19 »
Its this little building here - http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=skb3znh16mjg&scene=24341643&lvl=2&sty=b

You can drive all the way up to it from Cliffe, though the roads full of massive pot holes.

Not sure if theres anything else left to do with the decoy airfield but you can get to the old explosives works a bit further up the road. Some info on it here: http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=971.0

mao10

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 16:37:18 »
Hi all

Many thanks for the info.

Merc, are there a lot of remians of the Cliffe marshes Site? Are you able to give me directions. I'm coming from Gravesend?

Mike

merc

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 15:25:10 »
Hi mao10,
As far as i know,the Cliffe marshes night decoy airfield was used as a decoy for RAF Gravesend.

Sorry, I don't know if the Cuxton decoy airfield would have been the Luddesdown one.

During the second world war it was decided to create a dummy / decoy airfield in Dean Valley at Cuxton.

The purpose of this decoy airfield was twofold. Firstly it would provide a decoy for German bombers looking to target the Shorts offices/works, dockyard, etc. Secondly it would provide a target site for bombers returning from bombing raids in London to release their bombs on their journey home.

mao10

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 10:51:23 »
I am presently researching RAF Gravesend and I understand that it had two decoy airfields, one at Cliffe and one at Luddesdown. Are you able to tell me if this Cliffe one is one and the same and if the Cuxton find could possibly be the Luddesdown one( Luddesdown being quite close to Cuxton).

merc

Cliffe Airfield Decoy Building,Cliffe Marshes
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 20:14:39 »
Control point for a night Decoy Airfield on the Cliffe Marshes.

Almost the same as the one i visited near Cuxton a little while ago: http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=1416.0 except no earth covering over this one, just loads of undergrowth around most of it.

Main room

Generator room

Up on the roof

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines