News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Decoy Airfield Control Bunker, near Ash.  (Read 5625 times)

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
Re: Decoy Airfield Control Bunker, near Ash.
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 22:53:36 »
What about the bunker down Harty Ferry Road?  Thought that was a possible bunker for the Graveney Marsh decoy field...

Kyn, there is a bit of information about this bunker on facebook, go on there and type in Swale Defence Project.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 421
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 20:46:11 »
What about the bunker down Harty Ferry Road?  Thought that was a possible bunker for the Graveney Marsh decoy field...

A Rare Find

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 20:32:03 »
I have seen pics of this somewhere else but can't remember if anyone had any info  ???

Looks like an interesting structure!  Be good to find some more out about it...

I have not been able to turn up anything at all, I was surprised it even existed. When the original photographs were taken the KDRG (Kent Defence Research Group) said this was the only existing remains of a decoy control bunker left in Kent (fingers crossed  :D)

A Rare Find

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 20:29:39 »
Looking on GE the entrance to the field looks as tho it is right at the other end of the field.
If you carry on walking up Potts Farm Drove there is a track that turns right and then into the field where you would have to walk back on yourself through the field.

Cheers mate. The problem is that when you get on the ground, the drove has all but disappeared under newly cultivated fields, the official right of way is no longer marked once you battle through the overgrown foot path from the lane. Then you've got to avoid upsetting sheep and lambs and falling into dykes  ;D

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 421
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 21:34:49 »
I have seen pics of this somewhere else but can't remember if anyone had any info  ???

Looks like an interesting structure!  Be good to find some more out about it...

Offline BenG

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 20:55:10 »
Looking on GE the entrance to the field looks as tho it is right at the other end of the field.
If you carry on walking up Potts Farm Drove there is a track that turns right and then into the field where you would have to walk back on yourself through the field.

A Rare Find

Decoy Airfield Control Bunker, near Ash.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 19:08:44 »
Sited in the middle of nowhere on the Ash Levels (map ref' TR 303 617) this decoy control bunker was used as part of the control infrastructure for the decoy airfield. I can not take any credit for its 'discovery' as it was photographed back in the 1990's by a chap called Paul Tritton. I was recently contacted by someone else who wished to know if the site still existed. I at first thought it was not there ate all as i've never heard of a site in that area.

But after meandering across fields and dykes I managed to locate it and take some photographs, not close ups as the field is surrounded by deep water dykes and I could not
locate the field entrance.

I have not managed to find any reference to this site on the internet (but maybe the forum experts can help). These sites were designated either K for daytime use or Q for night use and were used to draw enemy bombers away from actual targets by the use of camoflauge and dummy structures. The night time sites had electric lights and scarecrow lights as well. This site I suspect was used as a decoy for RAF Manston which is in the locality.

The Control Bunker designs seem to be of a common layout with a corrugated curved sheet operations room which was normally covered with a earth mound and a reinforced concrete generator bunker attached, with two protected entrances with blast walls. The Q' sites seem to also have had some light A.A. mountings on the top of the structure as well. The sites were often manned by local farmers as well as military personnel.

The Ash one is in poor condition with no evidence of the corrugated ops' room left (scrap salvaged) but just the reinforced concrete blast walls and generator shelter.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines