News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Decoy Airfields to fool the Luftwaffe  (Read 13320 times)

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 224
Re: Decoy Airfields to fool the Luftwaffe
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 10:39:11 »
Got a couple of pictures with some info on a dummy airfield at Hempstead.
First one is from Fields of deception stating the dummy factory (site M1) at Chatham, decoying the Short brothers works at Rochester, seen om 1st June 1942, the month in which this and 3 other sites were abandoned... 

Industrial Bombing Decoy M1. Alternative names: Civil Bombing Decoy C102A, Bombing Decoy Q223A.
A Second World War bombing decoy site at Chatham. It was built to deflect enemy bombing from the Shorts aircraft factory. The site was originally a 'K-type' dummy decoy that was constructed as part of the 'M-series' of industrial decoys. It consisted of a full scale replica of the factory, complete with an aerial tower, dummy aircraft and derelict vehicles. The 'QF' decoy was built later as part of the 'C-series' of civil decoys for Rochester to supplement the 'K-type' decoy. It featured a series of controlled fires lit during an air raid to replicate a target struck by bombs. The 'K-type' decoy opened in 1940 and ceased operation in April 1943. Aerial photography from 1945 show that the site had been dismantled and given over to agricultural use.
Full details @ http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1459675
I Wish It Would Rain The Temptations

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2013, 19:43:47 »
The old Folkestone racecourse was RAF Westenhanger during the war. It was a decoy airfield in 1940/41 then used by Army Co-op Austers.
 The War and Peace show is moving there this year.
mmitch.

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 224
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 16:13:42 »
The Lullingstone Decoy. Robin J. Brooks.
Set in beautiful countryside between Eynsford and Shoreham, Lullingstone Country Park is a favourite with walkers, but little is known of the wartime secret it hides. Kent Life delves into the archives.
http://www.kent-life.co.uk/people/the_lullingstone_decoy_1_1636632
I Wish It Would Rain The Temptations

mao10

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 13:48:14 »
mmitch

Visited Gravesend Towncentric the other week and there is a booklet now available by Frank Turner relating the Gravesend Airfield and dummy airfield sites.

Offline rossco

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 13:19:57 »
Thats an interesting old photo medwayboy. Notice the AA gun site in the top-right corner too.

medwayboy

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 21:45:28 »
Got a couple of pictures with some info on a dummy airfield at Hempstead.
First one is from Fields of deception stating the dummy factory (site M1) at Chatham, decoying the Short brothers works at Rochester, seen om 1st June 1942, the month in which this and 3 other sites were abandoned... 

I have placed a GE map of the same area with the site marked.. 

And lastly I had a walk up there the other day on the off c
hance and took this picture across the fields where it would of been... The crops are too high to see anything and I guess years of ploughing will have removed anything left...  It  ties in with all the reports and looks like this one has to be put to bed unfortunately...  Some original photo's of what it looked like from the ground would of been nice.

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 18:34:23 »
I found this note on the Higham History Society website.
Thursday May 20th 2010 -- AGM with Speaker: Frank Turner "Gravesend Airport and the Dummy Airfields"
Frank Turner is the author of several booklets on Gravesend Airport and wartime history. There dosn't seem to be one listed on Dummy airfields-yet!
mmitch.

Offline busyglen

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 69
    • Westminster Village
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 12:14:35 »
Every day I find something new on this site!

I have learnt so much and can only praise everyone who posts such great finds on here.  Although long in tooth, I gobble up all of the historical information as if I was still in school!  Actually, it's more fun learning this way.  Thanks everyone.  :)
A smile is a curve that straightens things out.

medwayboy

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 10:53:38 »
I have received a reply from the very helpful RAF museum at Hendon and I enclose below..... I have already ordered the book and waiting for it to be delivered

I am sorry to say that the Museum does not have any site plans for decoy airfield sites and I have been unable to find any references to either Hempstead or Lidsing in the Museum?s collection.  I attach an extract from ?Fields of Deception? by Colin Dobson, giving a broad overview of how the day and night decoy sites were to be presented, it appears that there was no set plan and it was up to the station commander to do his best.  The book makes reference
 to documents in The National Archives collection in series AIR 2/2878 Description of dummy landing grounds (night), 11 October 1939; Description of dummy landing grounds (day) 12 October 1939, these documents may give you a better idea of the layout of such decoy sites.

Yours sincerely,
Andrew Dennis
Assistant Curator

Offline rossco

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 13:05:36 »
Saw this the other day: http://www.medwaymemories.co.uk/decoy.htm

Is this where you saw it to Rossco ?  ;D

Thats the one!

Found this about the Cuxton/Lidsing airfield... http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/northdowns/uploads/cuxton%20LL%20booklet.pdf (page 10 - the airfield that didnt exist) I might have a wander up there on the bike tomorrow. Merc/Gromit have done a thread on it before: http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=1416.0

merc

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 20:17:46 »
Saw this the other day: http://www.medwaymemories.co.uk/decoy.htm

Is this where you saw it to Rossco ?  ;D

Offline WildWeasel

• Appreciation 2
  • How do Road Gritters get to work ?
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 19:57:26 »
Interesting! I always thought the dummy airfield, placed to keep the Luftwaffe away from Rochester, was at Gibralter Farm where Elm Court Garden Centre is now.
By co-incidence, there`s an article about it in the Medway Messenger today which says it was Lidsing, but I`m not 100 % convinced about this.

WW
If it's too hard I can't do it !

Offline rossco

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 15:22:45 »
Nah, it was an AA gun site at Elm Court called Gibraltar Farm, there's still quite a few original huts standing around the back of the garden centre in the industrial estate. There was another on a farm near Bredhurst too, there's a few remains left of that one (as per Google Earth) but I've not visited it myself. I`ve found a few bomb craters around there, I suppose they could've been dene holes though. ???

The decoy airfield was further along by Capstone. I read somewhere (it might've been on here) that you can see the original field from the North Dane Way.

Chatham_Girl85

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 12:00:13 »
There was a decoy airfield where the garden centre is at Elm Court near Hempstead Valley.

merc

Decoy Airfields to fool the Luftwaffe
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 11:02:16 »

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines