News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Canada House, Gillingham  (Read 35024 times)

merc

Re: Canada House, Gillingham
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2012, 14:30:06 »
Princess Elizabeth unveiled a plaque to officially open the Princess Elizabeth Ward, on October 9, 1950. She had given the hospital 1,300, which was part of her wedding gift from the Government and people of Bahamas, towards the new ward. On her arrival at the hospital the Princess was presented with a posy from the hands of a two day old baby, the son of a naval rating serving in the Far East.

Offline GP

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2012, 19:49:09 »
At the time I lived at Dargetts Wood in the Navy houses but I dont think they are there now as I have tried to look them up on Google earth.
I am pleased I have found this website as I can now show my daughter photos of where she was born !!

The houses are still there, but they were sold off by the MOD some years ago. some have been updated and extended.

wilmur57

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2011, 21:01:14 »
My daughter was born in Canada House in 1966. It was lovely to see the photos of the building as I went there by car on a dark snowy evening so didnt really see the outside of the building but didnt imagine it to be red brick. My stay was for 12 days as it was over the Christmas period but my memory may be hazy as I thought the main entrance at the front of the building was up some steps. The ward I was in was upstairs at the back of the building  and if I remember there was a long ward then a smaller ward with 6 beds in, which is where I was, then the bathrooms and toilets were next to that. A janitor or caretaker befriended me and I used to go outside to a covered in balcony or walkway and I remember he gave me a tot of rum to cheer me up. I was only 20 at the time and my husband was in the navy and had been drafted away on the Biera patrols so I didnt see him until the following February.
On Christmas day a long table was set out in the main ward for our dinner and I remember the Lord Mayor and Lady Mayoress came to visit me and presented me with a huge bouqet of flowers . I think they felt sorry for me as I had no visitors as all my family were up in Yorkshire. At the time I lived at Dargetts Wood in the Navy houses but I dont think they are there now as I have tried to look them up on Google earth.
I am pleased I have found this website as I can now show my daughter photos of where she was born !!

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2011, 16:50:32 »
Just had another check for registration, son no 3 was born 1977 at home in Rochester......... Chatham still ? why not Medway .
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Fred the Needle

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2011, 15:41:34 »
From 1941 to 1974 Gillingham came under Chatham Registration office.

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/chatham.html

Bob

Oh, he was born in 1981.

Offline Merv

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2011, 01:33:01 »
My wife was Born there and both of our Daughters, the latter in the 70's.
The level of care and personal attention given would knock spots on todays carry on's

Offline Bobdonk

• Appreciation 22
    • Bus Walks
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2011, 10:33:28 »
From 1941 to 1974 Gillingham came under Chatham Registration office.

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/chatham.html

Bob

Fred the Needle

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2011, 10:27:01 »
Always struck me as odd, given that it's east of Canterbury Street.  But they were most insistent it was Chatham.

Good to know that it WAS Gillingham (for me anyway).

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 19:14:24 »
I would have thought it was still Gillingham then and now, it's nowhere near the Chatham boundary ? but the birth registrations are for Chatham. Must just be the area designated . I checked as 1st son was born Canada House, Gillingham and 2nd born at home in Borstal ,Rochester. Both state Chatham.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 18:30:10 »
My niece was born in january 1985 at Canada house so it was still going then. I dont think it was much longer than that when it closed.
***I am still the child within***

Fred the Needle

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 15:53:45 »
I was born in Canada House in 1953.

My eldest son was born in All Saints in 1981.  Because my (then) wife elected to stay in for 5 days (I think) she was transferred to Canada House after the second day so I got to look around it properly.

But can anyone tell me if it has changed from being in Gillingham (where my birth certificate says I was born) to Chatham which is where the staff said it was when Fred mk2 was there?

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 22:00:59 »
The friend I spoke about in my first reply wasn't a Naval wife, so it may well have been convenient for any Mum to have her baby there if they lived in Gillingham. We lived in married qtrs in Dargets Wood then, but if there had been any complications with me, I would have had to go to All Saints, they probably couldn't cater for Caesareans there ?? I recall the Taxi driver drove as fast as he could  :)

wilbar

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 20:55:37 »
I was born there in 1935 but cannot remember a thing about it. My father was in the navy and it seems that it was the practice for all naval personnel babies to be born there.

Offline seb

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 15:03:56 »
Lyn L, was told if husband hadn't brought daughter he could have stayed for the birth.  My sister-in-law had her son at All Saints before I had my children and she also felt that she was a nuisance that was why I chose Canada House.  We both had our other ones at home.   Maybe we were too sensative.  Remember large matron but not being taught how to bath baby.   You never had the baby except for feeding everything else was done for you.   You didn't even feed during night, they probably had bottle or had to go hungry, never did find out.   With my second I wasn't there long enough.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 13:13:39 »
Oh dear seb, I can quite imagine how you felt being stuck in a ward all on your own, both times ?? I was in a 6 bed ward so wasn't on my own also had a friend there at the same time as me in a different ward but did go and visit her, plus with your husband not being on hand must have been a bit scary. Mine phoned and was told to wait until I was spitting flames  :) but sent home straight away after leaving me there, men were too much of a nuisance in the labour ward, but was surprised to get a phone call from them 4 hrs later telling him he was a Dad, perhaps he thought it would be the following day, thank goodness it wasn't  :) Judging by what my d-in-laws have said about having theirs in All Saints in the 80s I don't think it could have been any better really although being sent home maybe the same day ( in one instance ) is much easier now.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines