News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Canada House, Gillingham  (Read 38056 times)

Offline seb

• Appreciation 3
Re: Canada House, Gillingham
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 09:22:18 »
Lyn L, I was the daughter-in-law of a Navy Officer so I don't think it made any difference.   My husband had a important meeting which I insisted he went to as baby not due for 10 days.   After he went I realised baby imminent.   Phoned taxi arrived at Canada House told I should have phoned first as they were not ready told them you're a maternity hospital that's what you do for a living don't worry I'll phone from the call box on corner.   Went in they asked where my husband was told them he was busy and they tutted.  Went straight to labour room baby popped out waited ages to be given her.  After realised I had arrived at staff lunch time big sin.   I was put in a 2 bed room don't know why as there was a proper ward along the way.

Second time husband took me in middle of night after phoning but daughter had to come with us another mistake.   Supposed to have left her at home alone.   Told husband to go and I'd phone later.  This time I was put in a 4 bed room on my own.  It was what I imagined prison to be like so when he came at visiting time I decided to leave.  

I had no opportunity to meet any new mothers either time felt completely isolated.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 85
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 16:10:53 »
My 1st son was born in Canada House in 1965 you had to stay for 10days then ! but I don't remember it being awful. I was a Navy wife but don't suppose that made any difference, had a wonderful midwife who was the wife of the THEN Mayor ( Shuter ) They did teach us new Mums how to care for a new baby, showed us how to bath etc etc, Matron was a rather large formidable lady who happened to come into the bathroom when we were being 'shown' how to bath, and my no1 son decided he would do the proverbial as I took the nappy off ( terry towelling of course ) and it went everywhere , not just a pee I hasten to add, she did make light of it though
 and told us it was something we could expect and put us all at ease. I had the other 2 boys at home   :) :) Even that was strange, 2nd born 1969 and on the list of requirements for home delivery was a can of petrol ? hubby's had to dig a hole in the garden to put the afterbirth in then set fire to it (H&S ?) and that patch of grass was the best ever after that, by 77 when the 3rd arrived the midwife took it away.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline seb

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 14:04:31 »
When I had my first child in those days they had to be born in hospital.   All Saints had such a bad reputation that I opted for Canada House.   It was awful.   Second child could be born at home but because I was moving home at that time I had to go to Canada House things were done differently but still awful.   My daughter had no choice but go to All Saints for her first child and nothing had changed still awful but had security.

Offline MedwayDweller

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 22:10:43 »
Evening all,

My sister and I were born here too in '67 and '71. Does anyone know when the last birth took place here and how long the place was empty for after that ?

On the Canada theme, there is of course a Canadian Avenue and Toronto Road in Gillingham.

Peter
nostalgia's not what it used to be

aitch

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 21:45:02 »
Thanks for the photos I to was born here but I didn't know about the connection with the navy even though my dad was RN based out of Chatham which is why my family were living in Medway at the time of my birth.

Gillsfan

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 19:12:24 »
I'm a care worker, & one of my ladies, use to live along Larkfield Ave, she can remember her Dad lifting her up in the garden , to see all the babies in their cot's, on the balcony.

merc

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 21:55:57 »
During WWI a house in Franklin Road had accomodated pregnant wives of local servicemen.
New larger maternity premises were opened in Barnsole Road on 23rd November 1922 by Princess Marie Louise.
It was called Canada House because funds from the dominion were provided from its inception. (not completely sure what that last bit means  ##)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 422
    • Sheppey History
Canada House, Gillingham
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 09:58:08 »
 :)

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines