News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Canada House, Gillingham  (Read 35031 times)

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
Re: Canada House, Gillingham
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2018, 13:57:28 »
bromptonboy. Many thanks, nice to know that a good building like that has not become "houses". longpockets. Thanks also, couldn't reply as W site said "this site unprotected"!

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2018, 17:45:46 »
Canada House is still there. After the navy departed from Canada House, it passed over to the NHS as a Maternity Home until all maternity services were concentrated at Medway Maritime Hospital. In recent years Canada House has become the base for the Medway Community Mental Health Team.

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2017, 14:53:51 »
Eric. Welcome to the Forum from another born at the Canadian Memorial hospital- in April 1930, so you're just a sprog ( like all the others on this thread!). I lived in Cornwallis Avenue & went to the County School in 3rd Avenue, which you would know, before joining the RAF as an Apprentice at Halton in 1947. Small world; I run a Halton reunion Association & one of my friends- who emigrated to Perth W.A.( sadly died a few years ago)- was also born at the Canadian in 1931! My Dad had been in the Navy ( engine room artificer) & my friend's Dad was in the RAF (Sgt./ Flt. Sgt.) so not officers at that time. I suspect that this maternity hospital was donated by the Canadian Red Cross after the WW1, as were many other hospitals - or Wings, etc.(e.g. my son was born at Cliveden Canadian memorial hospital when we lived in Maidenhead). I've not been back so don't know what finally happened to the substantial hospital buildings, maybe a " local" can let us know please? Keep in touch, where in Oz do you live?

Offline Eric Billingham

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2017, 05:39:51 »
I have been trying to establish contact with this forum for a while now so I hope I have made it at last.   I was born at Canada House in 1933 when my parents were living in Gillingham.   My 5 siblings were all born at home in Third avenue so I have the sole claim for this entry.   As I am now an Australian citizen, it will be interesting to re-establish some contacts.
Eric Billingham

Offline Tamm6y

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2014, 18:24:47 »
My first son was born at All Saints in 1969, My first daughter was born in Canada House in  1971. She was delivered by a sister Quntas lovely lady. Where have the years gone?

YoungNan

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2014, 17:25:52 »
I was born there in 1955, my daughter in 1981. My 1st child was born in All Saints Hospital, so after the evil nurses shouting at me and making me cry, I opted for Canada House second time round!
Such vivid memories of C H. My late hubby arranged for a Rolls Royce (a friends car!) to bring me and daughter home.  Unfortunately it chose to break down in the CH grounds, so had to call a friend to collect us.   :(     

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2014, 10:18:46 »
Our first boy was born in All Saints 1963 (deceased aged 3 months) and our second in Canada House in1966. I remember having to go from Rochester to there by bus carrying a bunch of flowers and felt just so embarrassed.
Maybe at that time I thought people would think I was bit suss or something. :) These days of course I wouldn't give a stuff what anyone thought about me!
I can't remember how long the boss was in there but I believe she was treated well. Couple of other new fathers gave me a lift home after that first night for which I was very grateful....gave me more time in the pub on the way home. Sorry, that's a bit off topic. :)
AlanH.

Offline alkhamhills

• Appreciation 23
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2014, 19:59:37 »
Our eldest was born in Canada house 1968. I had a phone call at 0800 to tell me of the birth, but not allowed to visit until afternoon visiting hours. I was taken to the nursery, and was able to see him through glass screen. My wife did not see him for first 2 days (he was a forceps birth). Wife & son stayed in for 9 days
Gave them both a lot of time to recover. Poor old me had to cook etc for myself !!!!!

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2014, 09:36:07 »
Thanks PC, perhaps as you suggest it was a warning caused by over flying aircraft en-route to somewhere else rather than an actual raid on Medway. Or perhaps just a good "war tale" to be told to children about parents war experiences. 

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2014, 07:57:31 »
One point of interest, family legend has it that I was born in an air raid shelter at Canada House during a raid, can any forum member tell me if a raid on Medway took place on 2 Dec 1943? Would there be such a record?
Research for my Pee Cee’s World thread suggests not. See ‘Part 14‘(Reply#99):
http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=17417.msg151699#msg151699

Also, Blitz on Britain states: “December 1943 was a quiet month, with only 10 people killed and 41 injured during air raids" [in the whole UK]
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2014, 18:26:28 »
Canada House certainly had births for all rates of the navy recorded, not just officers. It remained as a Royal Navy and Marines Maternity Home until 1961 when it ceased to be so on the closure of the Nore Command. Some of the records of the home with plans and photos are held in the Cityark in Strood.

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2014, 18:20:57 »
I was born in Canada House 2 Dec.1943. My father was in the Navy, AB seaman, hostilities only, certainly not an officer, not even a Chatham Rating even though he had worked in the Dockyard here before call up. My mum always spoke well of the care she received there.

One point of interest, family legend has it that I was born in an air raid shelter at Canada House during a raid, can any forum member tell me if a raid on Medway took place on 2 Dec 1943? Would there be such a record?

Originally in was built by the Navy, only for Officers wives to give birth!!

Offline GP

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2014, 16:54:55 »
Originally in was built by the Navy, only for Officers wives to give birth!!

I think it was given over to the then newly formed NHS in 1948. It was definitely under NHS management  in the late 1950's at least.

New mothers then often remained on  bed-rest for about a week after giving birth, mothers and babies were often transferred over from All Saints Hospital. My wife & baby son went there in 1980 for a few days after the birth.

It is still used by a NHS trust, I think as offices and Child  psychiatry clinics.

Offline alkhamhills

• Appreciation 23
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2014, 09:18:35 »
Have I missed something
What is the history of Canada House? Is it still a Maternity House, or did it close? What is it now?

Terrifran12

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2014, 21:50:41 »
Very interesting to hear about Canada House Maternity Home. I was born there in December 66. I wondered if all babies born there had to have a connection with the Navy?
I don't know much about my father except that he had connections with Chatham and the Navy. It sounds like fathers were welcome there.
Why was this place named Canada House?  It is interesting as my mother was from Canada. If mothers were expected to stay there for 10 days - my mother would have spent Christmas there. It would be interesting to hear of other stories from around that time.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines