News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: William George Penney  (Read 12550 times)

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
Re: William George Penney
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 17:17:04 »
Colin..lovely chap...he put me in touch with a couple renovating a house in Portsmouth who had found a stoneware flask under their floorboards. It came from 'The Swan Inn' Blue Town. It is now back home on Sheppey in safe hands. Cheers Colin.Ps, One day no doubt it will go to a local museum.

Liitle note here.. Even though a number of Flagons bottles and flasks (1830's onwards) originate from 'Blue Town' they are all marked or impressed 'Sheerness'

seafordpete

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 16:33:44 »
  He is actually related to our `Colin Penney' who lives at Minster, and has a Sheppey Website.

And a very useful site it is, found it years ago.

Offline busyglen

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 69
    • Westminster Village
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 16:23:54 »
Yes I saw that as well.  He is actually related to our `Colin Penney' who lives at Minster, and has a Sheppey Website.

Actually, he was the one who started me off on my own websites, as I hadn't a clue on `coding'.  Still don't really!  :)
A smile is a curve that straightens things out.

seafordpete

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 13:44:17 »
Heir hunters this morning (BBC1) had a bit about him and his work as a relly found him in their tree. Probably available on line

robin fairservice

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 02:21:31 »
When I was a student at the Medway Technical College, we were told that Bill Penney was originally a Sheerness Dockyard Apprentice, but being very bright he transferred to Medway Technical Colleg which was in Gillingham then, and obtained a London University degree in Engineering.  After that he went on to obtain a Doctorate in Chemistry.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
William George Penney
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 13:17:50 »
Born on 24th June 1909, he trained as a mathematician and became an expert on wave dynamics and became one of the worlds first leading authorities on the effects of nuclear weapons.  William Penney was born in Gibraltar but moved to Sheerness where he attended  Sheerness Technical Collegge in the Broadway between 1924 and 1926.  The following year he won a scolarship to the Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine.

During WWII he travelled to America where he worked at Los Alamos, he was part of the delegation to the Manhatten Project that built the atomic bomb.  When the Hiroshima and Nagasaki missions where flown out to Tinian Island in August 1945 William was present.

After the war William became a Baron and he was involved in the British Nuclear Programme.  He died 3rd March 1991.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines