News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Possible crashed WW2 fighter in Chatham docks, news story 2 ish years ago.  (Read 3297 times)

Jayzi.

Hi all.

Thanks for the info chaps, I was scared for a minute that I had dreamt this up !!!!

As for the gravesend dig, seem to remember this caused a bit of friction between peoples. I was following a thread on an aviation site and it was said by some (if my memory is holding up) that the lastest dig was slightly in the wrong place. Eventually the thread was pulled as it got a bit overheated.

Take care.

Jayzi.

marmalade

There is the poor fellow over at Gravesend, Eric Williams. He was brought down on 15 October 1940, and crashed through a wharf.

They tried a little while ago to retrieve his remains, but they couldn't, and he's now believed to be buried too deeply to retrieve. I think this was a last-ditch attempt to recover him, as there's going to be development there now.

Poor chap, alone in the mire.  

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
Shortly after the story appeared in the press I spoke with one of the Army divers who investigated the site. He reported that they had found a reflector dish similar to those used used on boat communications and it was probably reflecting the survey beams back in such a way that it indicated something very large down there. No sign of an aircraft. I thought at the time that nothing old would be found as the navy had extensively dredged the basins in the 1970's dumping all the dredgings over on Hoo Island.

Jayzi.

Hi all.

Just remembered this.

About 18 months/2 years ago the local media ran a story about an underwater survey which possibly revealed a crashed fighter in one of the basins. Any more come of this?

I done a quick kent-online/bbc kent search and couldn't find anything.

Jayzi.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines