News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jewish Burial Ground Sheerness  (Read 13147 times)

Offline Desbrow

• Appreciation 3
Re: Jewish Burial Ground Sheerness
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2014, 03:51:12 »
Hello All,

First time posting - I hope you find the following of some interest.

Quite by chance I came across "‘From One End of the Earth to the Other’ The London Bet Din, 1805–1855 and the Australian Convict Transportees" by Jeremy I. Pfeffer (ISBN: 978 1 84519 366 9) and found that it contains a whole chapter dedicated to the Sheerness Jewish community & in particular one incident during the time that the cemetery was in use.  This may be the "trouble" that Kyn mentioned in her post.

The author evidently did research on the ground as he took the photos in the Cemetery Scribes entry that was pointed out earlier by Herb Collector.

From what I've been able to glean from the Google Books preview, an 1819 robbery of a pawnbroker in Sheerness ultimately led to the deportation of four or five men and one man's execution.  The book indicates that the three men who carried out the theft were sentenced to hang but had this commuted to transportation. Before being shipped down under they issued a printed proclamation around Sheerness accusing three others of planning the crime. These three were subsequently tried and found guilty with one (Abraham Abrahams) sentenced to hang.  His body is reported as being returned to Sheerness for burial (after being turned away from Chatham) but this is not the same Abraham Abrahams who is in the Hope Street cemetery (although that Abraham Abrahams, as the senior figure in the Sheerness Jewish community, did play a part in the case).

For those interested in getting a preview of the whole story, the Google Books entry for chapter 7 "The Sheerness Connection” (p.209-p.245) can be found here:

https://encrypted.google.com/books?id=u7d8QkOggvQC&lpg=PR1&pg=PA209#v=onepage&q&f=false

The preview is extensive (although it skips the odd page or two) and has lots of great detail beyond what's in The Times report of 9th August 1819 that seafordpete included in one of his 'Sheerness - Crime & Punishment in The Times' entries here:

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2020.msg15014#msg15014

I wonder where the executed man was interred?

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2013, 22:08:21 »
There is a list of those buried at the Hope Street burial ground at http://www.cemeteryscribes.com/placesearch.php?psearch=Hope Street old burial ground (sheerness)&tree=Cemeteries, together with photos of the tombstones and some family details.

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2012, 13:27:55 »
From Brian Sinclair`s collection.
The photo below is from the Halfway Cemetery, Sheerness.

The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2012, 12:52:55 »
Thank you :)

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2012, 12:09:53 »
Kyn, I am sure that Roy would be only to pleased to show you (or someone you suggest) around the Cemetery any time you/they could make it, at Sheppey Estates, 6 Hope Street, 01795 666297.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 22:00:36 »
Thank you CDP :)
Unfortunately I am no longer as local as I was so may find it difficult to visit unless arranged in advance.  I would be interested in seeing it though!

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 21:40:49 »
My wife was talking to a friend of ours, Roy Buttenshaw, who has the Estate Agency at the top of Hope Street about 4/5 buildings from the Jewish Cemetery. He has the key to the cemetery and is responsible for the building up of the wall and all cleaning up of the gravestones, etc. etc. It was paid for by the Jews of East London. Roy can explain the story behind  the payment for it !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Roy is a very friendly person and will help you, Kyn, to take photos etc. Take them while it is all cleaned.
Just mention my name (and then run ).

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 15:52:08 »
You could try Colin Friend  at the council  offices at Sheerness , he would know all about it .I had a query re burials at  the  Halfway Cemetaty and he sorted it out for me .

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 19:46:30 »
For many years the key was kept next door at Swifts the Jeweller who maintained it ,cut the grass and kept it clean and tidy. He is no longer there now but someone renewed the broken door faily recently.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 22:12:47 »
Abraham Abrahams was in lots of trouble at one point, possibly imprisoned???

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 21:35:30 »
As  above , if you want to have a look and to photograph the cemetary your first port of call is what used to be called leisure services/parks at swale Council and the same chap is still there I believe, it was they who arranged  inspection of the site.

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 21:28:08 »
Does anyone know who ownes it?
"The second of the two documents from the Jewish Museum has the date 15th April 1843. It records the conveying of the land that had been leased, as a burial ground for ever, to Abraham Abrahams, his heirs and assigns. One of the gravestones in the small cemetery has the name of Abraham Abrahams on it."
A Jewish Community in Sheerness (Part One) by W. H. Studt, Begone Kent, vol 12 #3.

Offline busyglen

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 69
    • Westminster Village
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 20:54:21 »
If you look at oldsunset's post further up on this page, and click on the link, it shows some pictures.

I can remember looking out on it when I used to work at the Maypole many years ago.  You could see it quite clearly from the `Ladies' window.
A smile is a curve that straightens things out.

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 19:17:52 »
Does anyone know who ownes it?
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 18:02:23 »
I went in there many years ago whilst on patrol and from what I remember all that was there was a patch of grass with a few stones around the side..which I think were like the ones in Halfway corner cemetery written in hebrew. It is very small.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines