News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Medway Trams  (Read 51725 times)

merc

Re: Medway Trams
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2012, 22:39:25 »

From The Illustrated London News.

Offline davidt

• Appreciation 18
« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2011, 21:24:06 »
I'd not heard about that Smiffy. When I first read your post I thought surely not, Blue Bell Hill's in the way, but thinking about it the trams went to Borstal, so they could have continued in that direction following the river.

Medway missed out the trolleybus stage and went straight to the motor buses. I believe it was Chatham & District bus company that bought out the tram company and scrapped them.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2011, 20:32:34 »
The Maidstone ones went the same way at about the same time, to be replaced by trolleybuses. I believe there may have been a scheme at one time to link the two tram systems, but it obviously never happened.

Offline davidt

• Appreciation 18
« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2011, 17:40:16 »
To my knowledge the trams were scrapped. There's a well known postcard of them all lined up in the scrapyard with a caption "Here lie the bodies of Chatham and Dist" RIP 30.9.30.

Haven't got that one in my collection yet. I've seen it, but it was a bit out of my price range!

According to a book I've got, it seems that they were lined up on the tram lines alongside Watling Street and some may have been sold off to anyone who wanted to buy one. After over 80 years I can't see that any will have survived though. I don't think even the National Tram Museum at Crich has one.

Offline Stewie

• Appreciation 16
« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2011, 18:15:20 »
Sounds a bit like the urban ledgend of British Railways creating a 'Strategic Reserve' of motive power by mothballing lots of withdrawn main line steam locomotives under a Welsh mountain in case of a Nuclear war disruping the oil suplies!

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2011, 18:01:58 »
As far as I know the tram system ceased to be in September 1930 and all of the Tramcars were scrapped. Perhaps some survived or were sold on?

Offline gatsovandel

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2011, 14:31:15 »
i remember reading or hearing some were that the trams still exist and are kept in a secret location i wander if any one else has herd this? and how true it is?

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2011, 20:39:33 »
The shop on the corner was definitely much better than what is there now , I recognised the area straightaway-- but can't make out what it may have been then ? It was Wards the builders at one time I seem to remember. Lovely pics.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2011, 20:30:58 »
Great photo's davidt. It seems that any M&D passengers had to risk being run over to read their timetable on the lampost in the first photo. One wonders why it was not fixed to the relevant stop?

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2011, 14:07:40 »
Great pics davidt. The first one is instantly recognisable as the view is still very similar today, but the second one with that splendid looking shop on the corner takes a mompent to orientate.

The other thing I always love in these old photos is the amount (or rather lack of) traffic!
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2011, 13:12:27 »
It seems that my Gt, Gt Uncle Herbie took the side out of one of these trams on Star Hill, I have left a post there as well as in the Thomas Aveling thread. Are there any pics of this accident? It involved a roller and living van, two trams, Star Hill and Rochester High Street, all before WW1. That said these are wonderful pics of a lost era.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline davidt

• Appreciation 18
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2011, 12:28:54 »
Latest additions to my collection. I particularly like the one of the junction of Canterbury Street and Nelson Road.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2011, 18:34:57 »

I'm pretty sure this is the right location, you can see where the letterbox on the corner is. The X is the approximate place from where I think the picture was taken

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2011, 15:04:27 »
In the Brook photo the shop on the right has a beehive over the door, could this indicate a Co-op? I think the road just beyond is the junction with King Street.

Offline davidt

• Appreciation 18
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2011, 22:00:31 »
Okay, I know I said that I'd posted all the views from my collection. I was wrong. Here are some more. How could I have missed these ones out?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines