Kent History Forum

News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Medway Trams  (Read 44462 times)

Offline JohnH

• Appreciation 0
Re: Medway Trams
« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2017, 16:19:06 »
I recall seeing a tram body in use as a mobile home on the caravan site at Allhallows in 1961 but do not know where it came from.

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 209
« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2017, 21:05:48 »
Chatham and District Light Railway.
http://www.tramwaybadgesandbuttons.com/page148/page149/page254/page254.html
Uniform details and photos.
All the Lads in Town  Merry Wives of Windsor

Offline davidt

• Appreciation 18
« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2012, 21:28:02 »
I found it on Amazon SentinelS4 - I just did a search using the book name. There are currently six sellers selling second hand copies. Prices vary from 12 (which is less than I paid for my copy when it was new) to 135.30!

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 162
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2012, 18:51:06 »
Maidstone and Chatham Tramways ISBN 1 873793 40 5. Not found on Amazon, but I am sure that Middleton have copies of this wonderful tome. Sorry Man-of-Kent but it goes into more detail than the good Oppitz (got that one as well) tome. S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline davidt

• Appreciation 18
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2012, 17:50:58 »
I've got that book too Man-of-kent, but I find the best one is Maidstone and Chatham Tramways by Robert J Harley, published by Middleton Press. It's in two parts and the second half of the book is all about the Medway system. There's some very interesting information in there with maps of some of the routes and some great photos - a few of which are from postcards the same as the ones in my collection. It's also got the photo I was looking for which Lutonman has posted on here. Sadly it looks like it might be out of print, but second hand copies may appear on the usual auction sites!

Offline man-of-kent

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2012, 07:47:19 »
I have a copy of "Lost Tramways of Kent" by my friend Leslie Oppitz. It is a complimentry copy presented to me by the author because I provided some of the present day then and now photos from Medway and Sheerness. It is published by Countryside Books.
Derek Brice

Offline 101sean

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2012, 23:16:29 »
I don't know whether it can still be got but I have a copy of The Tramways of Kent Vol 1 published in 1971 by the Light Railway Transport League. It goes in to great detail on the Medway system (also covers Gravesend, Sheerness and Maidstone) and has some photos not seen on this thread.

With regard to the earlier questions about signalling on the reserved section, the book states that when the loop at Rainham Mark was taken out after 1927 due to increases in road traffic, colour light signals were installed. Prior to that, drivers could see from loop to loop.

Regarding disposal, it's also stated that six bodies were removed by the contractors to a farm at Lidsing where they remained until 1966.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 162
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2012, 19:39:45 »
I have no idea about the regs for the head lights. Bearing in mind trams were the first vehicles on the road in the Country to have electric headlights. All I know is that in the most of the UK headlights started out on the top modesty panel but were soon moved down to the dash panel. All it seems except Medway.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2012, 19:19:19 »
The high headlight must have broken all anti-dazzle regs, if such existed.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline davidt

• Appreciation 18
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2012, 18:31:22 »
That's the picture I was thinking of Lutonman. Thanks for posting it. I know I've got it in a book somewhere, but I haven't had time to look for it.

I think a lot of trams (and railway carriages) ended up as sheds, outhouses etc Mikeb. Unfortunately most will be long gone by now. :(

I'd never noticed about the light SentinelS4 - despite having all those postcards of the trams!

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 26
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2012, 23:39:18 »
The main reason for scrapping the trams in 1930 was that they had run for some thirty odd years and the cars and track were worn out. The cost of replacing the system like for like was far more than replacing with buses. I have a piece of the track recovered from Dock Road and it is well worn in profile. As far as I know, no new, replacement, cars were added to the original fleet, except when needed for the Rochester extensions after the Chatham / Gillingham sections were opened. The last new trams were delivered in 1911. In 1928 a second hand car was bought from the Maidstone system but it was by then over 20 years old and Maidstone scrapped the others of the same batch at the same time.
Buses were cheaper to buy and operate and were more flexible in operation, not only could one pass another but routes could be extended where and when required with out digging up the road!
Finally, as a child  C1955  I seem to remember, I think, seeing a tram body in use as a shed in a garden or field somewhere between Stoke and All-Hallows. Can anyone confirm this, was it a Chatham car, or was I just dreaming it up?

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 162
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2012, 18:37:22 »
These pics are great but very sad. These fine macines have been driven onto the section and stopped without even the trolley poles being lowered. Interesting that the Medway cars retained the high headlight to the end, bot Maidstone and Dover lowered the to the Dash Board quite early on. What a waste of machines and infrastructure...... S4.

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2012, 18:06:55 »
Is this the picture? A copy from the Les Collins collection and was printed & credited to Les in the book Chatham & Gillingham in old Photographs by Philip MacDougall

The text in the book says "The last Tram to operate in the Medways Towns ran on Tuesday 30th September 1930. Travelling on a route that took it from the Royal Naval barracks to Rainham Road, the event was marked by crowds of spectators who lined much of the route. Chatham Town hall proved a particular focal point, many of the onlookers rushing to board the vehicle. Some of those unable to clamber on board simply followed behind. With the event completed by the singing of "Auld Lang Syne" it must, indeed have been a very sad event. On the following day all of the tram routes were being operated by Leyland Titan buses belonging to the old tram company which had now become the Chatham and District Traction Company. This photograph is of the tram graveyard that was established alongside Watling Street on that special piece of roadway that had been reserved only for the running of trams. Over the following months they were sold off to anyone who could afford them.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2012, 23:31:50 »
I believe it was Chatham & District bus company that bought out the tram company and scrapped them.
It was - details here:
http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=5113.msg41322#msg41322
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline davidt

• Appreciation 18
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2012, 23:29:28 »
Great find there Merc. I've not seen that picture before - it wasn't the one I was referring to in my earlier post.

A tram for 5? Sounds like a bargain to me. Shame they aren't still on sale!

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines