News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Wesleyan Chapel, New Brompton.  (Read 8377 times)

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
Re: Wesleyan Chapel, New Brompton.
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 18:12:33 »
Was it definitely in NEW Brompton?  

There was a Wesleyan Church at the top end of Prospect Row in Old Brompton from 1892-c1940 that appears to have been a garrison church (there is a thread about it here http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=6187.0), and before that a Wesleyan Chapel in Manor Street, both in Old Brompton.
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 421
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 13:26:31 »

Offline rossco

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 13:02:02 »
I've checked some maps at work and in 1896-1898 it's marked as a Methodist Church... I overlayed some new OS maps and it the church would sit right on the corner of the Somerfield loading bay/car park area where the road bends.

I've just noticed that on the map posted above there was also a Wesleyan Church up on the corner of Green Street too.

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 126
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 12:15:29 »
On behalf of my mate, the information is appreciated, & he's a lot closer to finding the Chapel than he was on Friday.

Thanks again  :)
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

merc

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 11:47:36 »
I knew this was the place to ask :)
So, if he got married in 1884, shouldn't it have been in the new church ??? Apparently the marriage certificate states Britton Street, but would they still be using the old address so that people wouldn't be confused? 
It's certainly confusing 125 years later ??? ??? ???

I have found a few mistakes in the book i got the info from...so that's one possibility :-\

merc

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 11:44:18 »
1909 Map

Could that Ch in Arden Street be it  ??? :)

If it is,it's been demolished when made they made the West part of Jeffery Street,behind Somerfields.

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 126
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 11:42:34 »
I knew this was the place to ask :)
So, if he got married in 1884, shouldn't it have been in the new church ??? Apparently the marriage certificate states Britton Street, but would they still be using the old address so that people wouldn't be confused? 
It's certainly confusing 125 years later ??? ??? ???

merc

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 11:01:05 »
The New Brompton Wesleyans originally used a room in the Bible Christian Church in Park Road (Marlborough Road) in 1833.
In 1848 a Chapel named "Bethany" was built in Lower Britton Street and opened in 1850.
Later sunday School premises were added to the rear and in 1871 a day School was built beside the Church which was enlarged several times up to 1899..
By 1877 the Church was far to small for the congregation and for five years services were held in the Public Hall in the High Street.
The new church in Canterbury Street was built in 1882 and for the next 45 years used the day School premises in Arden Street as a Sunday School.

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 126
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 09:35:59 »
Thanks for that map rossco, very informative ^^^. The guy got married in 1884, so I went on to that date of map & found that Britton Street was seperated into Upper, Middle & Lower - Lower Britton Street now known as Arden Street! Still no chapel shown on the map, but I'm not sure if a Wesleyan building was 'important' enough to be shown on a Crown map?
Anyway, this extra info gives him something to go on, perhaps walking Arden Street there might be a possible building that was a chapel.

Offline rossco

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 07:49:06 »
Have a look at the 1897-1900 map on here: http://extranet7.kent.gov.uk/klis/default.asp There's a Britton Farm Street that runs paralell to the High Street, almost where Jeffery Street is now but a little further South. On the junction there's a 'Ch' marked roughly to thhe side/rear of where Video City used to be, opposite the laundrette.

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 126
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 00:06:54 »
That is in the High Street, but I know roads do 'move' over a period of time & it may originally have been part of Britton Street.
I'd appreciate any help.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 421
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 23:57:40 »
Don't look too closely or you might cry!  The building is in a right state!  And pigeons have moved in upstairs  >:(

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 23:50:00 »
Look closely at the building with Regenerate on it, i've always thought that it looks like a former church, or maybe Chapel.   I'll have a better look soon.

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 126
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
Wesleyan Chapel, New Brompton.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 23:39:16 »
A workmate of mine is tracing his family tree & needs a bit of help. Apparently, his great great grandfather was an RE, & got married in the Wesleyan Chapel in New Brompton. My mate was looking for a photo of the chapel, & was centering his search on the Dock Road / Brompton area. I've explained that New Brompton is what we now call Gillingham, & after this info he has discovered the chapel was in Britton Street, just off of the High Street. Problem is, the area has been rebuilt with maisonettes & no original buildings remain. So, could anyone confirm the whereabouts of the chapel, & even better post an image of it?

I've got this photo of High St / Britton St showing the maisonettes, but the only original building is the one on the corner.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines