News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Lido at Clifftonville.  (Read 24134 times)

apbailey

Re: The Lido at Clifftonville.
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2014, 21:10:19 »
Dave Lee and the Rebounds were a popular group, well known through the length of Kent who played summer seasons in the Lido Cavern at Cliftonville for three nights a week in 1963 and two nights a week in 1964. The photo shows, left to right, Dave Lee (vocalist), Micky Walters (rhythm and vocals), Dizz Izzard (drums), Tim Eason (lead guitar) and Dave Stagg (bass) playing on the tiny stage set in one of the arms radiating from the circular dance floor.  They played the pop songs of the day, Beatles, Searchers, Moody Blues, enjoying the harmonies of groups like the Hollies and the Coasters, quite a strong vein of comedy in their material, influenced perhaps by the Barron Knights who were often in the area.  They also included older numbers, such as "All of me" and "Jezebel".  The Rebounds were a "semi-pro" band from the Sittingbourne area and most worked in the paper industry.  How did they manage to work a full day, drive for an hour and a half each way and perform three one hour sets, three times each week?  Often not eating until after the show when a "Chinese" or fish and chips was the order of the day...And they often  played other "dances" during those weeks...they weren't "gigs" in those days.
The Cavern was always packed with youngsters who paid, I think, 2s 6d to get in.  Access was by a narrow staircase that wound down into a circular space hewn from the chalk and, largely, brick walled.  It was a pretty ramshackle set up with dodgy electrics.  To the right of the stage there was a staircase that ran down to a flooded area.  Around the circular dance floor there were several arched chambers extending radially with seating and tables, one being higher had a second tier of seating.
Above ground, Tommy Trinder played the theatre with a traditional variety show (and was pretty grumpy when encountered by his Rolls late at night in the car park), and Tony Savage kept the deck chair customers happy with his organ playing.
I would be interested in reading the stories of those who attended the Cavern or played there and seeing other photos.

Offline Jason

• Appreciation 9
    • Historic Medway
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2012, 19:17:59 »
Hi, I've just joined the Forum. Can anybody tell me when the inside of Cliftonville closed to bathers?

From the 28 Days Later site it looks like it was damaged by the storm in 1978 and never repaired:

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/50061-Margate-Lido-and-The-Vortigern-Caves-5-5-10
http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/59273-Margate-lido-march-2011
http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/50433-The-Lido-Margate-%28low-level%29-20-5-10
http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/50115-The-Lido-Margate-various-visits-May-2010

Lots of great pictures there including the underground harbour and the bar price list with Double Diamond at 24p a pint!

Offline GP

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2012, 21:34:24 »
I have uploaded my collection of Cliftonville Lido for researchers and interested alike.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16810493@N06/5511619425/

Can you alter the 'permissions' on Flickr, so that all can view please

Offline Barrowboy

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2012, 17:16:14 »
Does anyone remember Tony Savage entertaining the holiday makers on the electronic organ at the Lido? He was often accompanied by his son Dominic in the 1970's/80's. Well, the son has done very well for himself. He is a BAFTA award winning film director. Five of his plays were screened on BBC 1 last week, all filmed in the Margate area.

expansionlink

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2012, 12:35:16 »
Hi, I've just joined the Forum. Can anybody tell me when the inside of Cliftonville closed to bathers?

fittnfunky

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2011, 01:24:33 »
Yes I remember it well. Went there for years, knew the dj, a black guy Spencer. I knew the doormen too, one of them used to work at the Rendevous Club, Dreamland. Had some great times there.

Monkton Malc

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2011, 22:02:23 »
I will take a guess as to the location...

Walpole bay tidal pool.

You can see the red tiled roof of the Lido in the background :)

Offline rdfb2

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2011, 21:31:38 »
great collection of pics.
guess whos in the boat.

SOME DAYS YOUR THE DOG ,SOME YOUR THE LAMP POST

Offline Margate History

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 15:35:28 »
I have uploaded my collection of Cliftonville Lido for researchers and interested alike.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16810493@N06/5511619425/

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2010, 18:24:17 »

mole

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2010, 20:00:05 »
Hi, does anyone know about the old underground Hades nightclub at the Lido? Rememember it being a large cavern reached by along flight of steps, there was a second cavern reached by a tunnel that was the restaurant.  Thought maybe it was a Dene hole{ancient chalk mine) like the nearby margate caves and shell grotto. The entrance door is still there at the Lido,but was wondering if it had been filled in when Southern water were working nearby recently.      Seems a shame that so much ancient history is lost and forgotten when caves and tunnels around thanet are blocked or filled in.                     
      I,m new to the forum and still finding my way around,was only after submitting this post i found i was looking in the wrong place and there,s lots of info on the lido!    great!

Offline rdfb2

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 19:56:27 »
used to go to a disco at the dog + duck plucks gutter,in about 76 to 79, was a family run thing used to have quite a laugh back then,remember camping in a field opposite, we were the only ones thier.went back thier recently very posh now.

Monkton Malc

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2009, 20:23:59 »
Does anyone remember "hades" nightclub that was at the lido?

Malcolm.

i remember going to a disco up by the old pier this was about 1977, cant rember what it was called but was down in a small cellar type room, could been hades, first time i rember the lights that make white very bright, as a warship was anchoured of margate, and a lot young sailors were in one night, + they all lit up like persil kids,another disco i remember in 1975 was millys at
 westgate on sea was on the front in the basement of one of the hotels that was thier then, happy days.

The downstairs disco near the pier might have been the west coast. Used to be a diner there too.

Millies was downstairs of the St Mildreds Hotel in Westgate with Angeliques upstairs for the over 21's.

I remember seeing groups like Paper Lace, Jigsaw and Edison Lighthouse (a Kent link there with band member George Weyman being from Herne Bay). I worked in Millies for a while before working in the Grove ferry Inn (same landlord).  Ah.. The good old days..

Offline rdfb2

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 20:12:50 »
Does anyone remember "hades" nightclub that was at the lido?

Malcolm.

i remember going to a disco up by the old pier this was about 1977, cant rember what it was called but was down in a small cellar type room, could been hades, first time i rember the lights that make white very bright, as a warship was anchoured of margate, and a lot young sailors were in one night, + they all lit up like persil kids,another disco i remember in 1975 was millys at westgate on sea was on the front in the basement of one of the hotels that was thier then, happy days.

birchingtonboy

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2009, 09:08:18 »
Hades night club used to be the Cavern as it was in some old cellars but in its heyday the lido could boast a thearte ,I saw Norman Wisdom do a live show there in the 1970s .And of course the Golden Garter Saloon with Sherriff Danny Arnold.the Lido pool was not one of my haunts I think I only went there a couple of times .The things I remember were the wooden slides the high diving board ,I only saw one person go off it (Paul Farrell are you reading this .And of course if you did not bring your own trunks you could always hire those reddy brown woolt ones with "LIDO" sewn on the front.I was lucky Minnis Bay was my playground .

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines